Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Question Fortuner 3.0 vs. Disco 4 SE/HSE

Hi all

Need a bit of advice please. In the UK we had a 2010 Disco 4 TDV6 HSE which we absolutely loved but never got to use to its fullest abilities. When we moved back to SA we got a 2019 Nissan X Trail 2.5 Petrol.

We are looking to start caravanning and also taking trips down to Port Alfred regularly, and my husband has a bike rack for his MTB, and so we are thinking of trading in our X Trail for either a Fortuner 3.0 D 4x4 or another Disco 4. I don't know anything about Fortuners (never seen one in the UK) so am quite keen on another Disco 4 diesel (pre-facelift) but from a cost, safety (hijacking/theft) and maintenance perspective I'm not sure how both compare. Friends of ours who have Fortuners and Land Cruisers say Toyota is the way to go but I'd like some other viewpoints too please 😊

Default Re: Fortuner 3.0 vs. Disco 4 SE/HSE

Maybe I am a bit biased driving a D4, but my opinion is that the Fortuner should be the more reliable, but also have the highest risk of theft/hi-jacking. I would take a Fortuner any day before the X-Trail, just based on a test drive and a X-Trail rental I had.

The Discovery is just in a different league ito driving experience, and there is many good independent service garages that will do a better job than LR in looking after you car in JHB/PTA area.

In terms of towing, the D4 all the way, its an excellent tow vehicle.
    Last edited by faniedup; 2021/07/30 at 08:29 AM.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to faniedup For This Useful Post:

Have you given the Pajero any thought?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

The Disco will take you anywhere in style and luxury. The question is, will it come back on it's own or on a low bed.

The Pajero is good, just take extra cable ties as the dash may end up on your lap.

The Fortuner is a boring, slow, heavy on fuel car with little space for the driver very little luxuries and very much over priced mainly if you buy 2nd hand. It should bring you back.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Don't overlook the Isuzu MUX.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WernerDV For This Useful Post:

The D4 diesel could become cranky...........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

11. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Not being funny, but, if you have lots and lots of money, get the Disco. I would in a heartbeat if I had lots of money.

If not, get the Fortuner.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Thanks all - really appreciate the views.

On the Pajero and Isuzu - we haven't considered these (although have heard they're good too). We're sticking to Fortuners and Discos though 😊

For sure we'll buy second hand - particularly if we do go for the Disco. I do not like the new face lift model at all. My husband is even more vocal about disliking that look so it will never get past him anyway!

On the costs - I've had a look at auto trader and the prices seem pretty comparable for 2012/2013 models for Fortuner and Disco, with similar mileage. Are the running costs high for Disco (break downs and flatbed excluded)? I know years ago when my dad worked for Land Rover he said that services weren't bad in terms of price but basket of parts was 1.5 to 2x the cost of other vehicles due to having to import quite a lot (I'm talking 15 years ago). Has that changed? That's the part that's worrying me is the ongoing maintenence costs (including insurances). Is the Fortuner in a higher insurance category because of its high risk?

On the money part - I guess that I don't want to buy the Disco because it's seen as a luxury car. I want to buy the car that will work for our lifestyle (dog, child, mountain biking, caravanning, long road trips through the Karoo) and I want it to be comfortable and safe (bit accident wise as well as hijacking probability wise).

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    The D4 diesel could become cranky...........
    OK this intrigues me.... Cranky how?

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    The Disco will take you anywhere in style and luxury. The question is, will it come back on it's own or on a low bed.

The Pajero is good, just take extra cable ties as the dash may end up on your lap.

The Fortuner is a boring, slow, heavy on fuel car with little space for the driver very little luxuries and very much over priced mainly if you buy 2nd hand. It should bring you back.
    Interesting that it's overpriced 2nd hand. Is that because it's so popular?

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMoose View Post
    Go read here:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ailure-Reports

Enough said?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Previous TDV6 diesels snapped cranks. The SDV6 is much more reliable.

I would go drive a Fortuner then drive a Disco.

There is no way I would risk driving a Fortuner or let me wife drive one due to the theft and hijack risk, no matter what anyone says. The risk is real.

The Fortuner is also not best in class but they are popular like Defy dishwashers
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Nissan Patrol. Better than a Fortuner, cheaper than a Fortuner, tougher than a Fortuner.......do I need to go on?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Thanks all - really appreciate the views.

On the Pajero and Isuzu - we haven't considered these (although have heard they're good too). We're sticking to Fortuners and Discos though 😊

For sure we'll buy second hand - particularly if we do go for the Disco. I do not like the new face lift model at all. My husband is even more vocal about disliking that look so it will never get past him anyway!

On the costs - I've had a look at auto trader and the prices seem pretty comparable for 2012/2013 models for Fortuner and Disco, with similar mileage. Are the running costs high for Disco (break downs and flatbed excluded)? I know years ago when my dad worked for Land Rover he said that services weren't bad in terms of price but basket of parts was 1.5 to 2x the cost of other vehicles due to having to import quite a lot (I'm talking 15 years ago). Has that changed? That's the part that's worrying me is the ongoing maintenence costs (including insurances). Is the Fortuner in a higher insurance category because of its high risk?

On the money part - I guess that I don't want to buy the Disco because it's seen as a luxury car. I want to buy the car that will work for our lifestyle (dog, child, mountain biking, caravanning, long road trips through the Karoo) and I want it to be comfortable and safe (bit accident wise as well as hijacking probability wise).
    The answer is of course the amarok. Seriously the Double Cab Ute, is very, very practical for the sort of lifestyle you mention. I would much rather have a muddy, Dog/MountainBike/general rubbish in the back of a Pick up than inside a nice clean SUV.
    Having said that you are looking at an older vehicle and at that sort of milage you run a serious Risk of a Broken Crankshaft in the Disco. If you can take a 150-200k hit on fixing that, then the D4 is hard to beat.

If you are paranoid about the Fortuner from a high jacking perspective, then seriously look at the Pajero Sport, Pajero, or Isuzu MUX or even a good used Chev TrailerBlazer. Those are all good solid options if you want a SUV type vehicle at that price point.

If you are serious about the Discovery, you should also be considering the Toyota Prado (will be more expensive for same year and model/milage) and possibly even the Nissan PathFinder. They both compete more directly against the Disco than the Fortuner.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Budget??

The Fortuner may have higher theft risk but the Discovery may leave you on the side of the road, which in Sa can be a very dangerous place.

The Discovery is also not cheap to maintain, especially it now getting on in years, nevermind the potential for catastrophic engine failures which is R150k+ to repair.

That being said the Discovery is amazing, head and shoulders above all else but if a R150k repair would really hurt then I wouldn't touch one.

What's wrong with the X-Trail?

They are great vehicles, especially if there are just 2 of you and no serious 4x4 is planned.

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    OK going to need coffee to go thorough all of that. Thanks!

OK going to need coffee to go thorough all of that. Thanks!
    A whisky or 2 would be better
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Budget??
    R350K max

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    A whisky or 2 would be better
    Noted. It is a Friday after all. Got some good Highlands single malts in the bar.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast