Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Gas Geyser Installed

Quote Originally Posted by Shottie_gp View Post
    Load shedding is one thing .... But there are times when we have outages for days . (im not even joking)
    You can make your own power ... I cant .(yet)

For me Gas is convenient at this stage .
    Exactly because of this I've just installed a Kwikhot 20l fan forced geyser. Very happy so far, electric geyser kept as a back up and can be turned back on at db. The gas geyser uses a bit of electricity for computer and fan forcing air, but runs easily off inverter. Only needs approx 60w.

Also converted our electric oven to gas. There is something about a gas oven thats really nice...

I can now run the rest of my house off a small inverter during outages. We just had 7 days without power few weeks ago and outages in our area occur monthly.

Geyser with installation was as per previous price on thread approx R27k
    Last edited by GKE; 2021/08/07 at 07:33 PM.
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 AWD
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GKE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Exactly because of this I've just installed a Kwikhot 20l fan forced geyser. Very happy so far, electric geyser kept as a back up and can be turned back on at db. The gas geyser uses a bit of electricity for computer and fan forcing air, but runs easily off inverter. Only needs approx 60w.

Also converted our electric oven to gas. There is something about a gas oven thats really nice...

I can now run the rest of my house off a small inverter during outages. We just had 7 days without power few weeks ago and outages in our area occur monthly.

Geyser with installation was as per previous price on thread approx R27k
    I have kept our electric geyser as back up when we installed a gas geyser. It' about 7 years later and I have not switched it on once.

You will find that it is not needed.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serf For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Geyser alone was R12500, total installation + Certification = R28k

Sounds like you got ripped, a typical gas installation shouldn't cost more than R5k or so including COC, did they use gold pipes and regulators?
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

I believe you can only really save on gas vs electricity geyser when it's maybe 2 people alone in the house, or a ultra disciplined household.
    When you have a domestic there is no way you'll save, in my experience a domestic will use hot water until there is none left, with a gas geyser the hot water only runs out when the gas runs out.

We currently have a gas hob and really enjoy it, the convenience factor during load shedding is also big. If I redo the kitchen again I'll do a gas and induction combo hob. We use our induction plate all the time, for some cooking and also for the kettle, but for some things it's still nicer to cook on the gas rather than induction and then there's the gas for during load shedding as well.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Sounds like you got ripped, a typical gas installation shouldn't cost more than R5k or so including COC, did they use gold pipes and regulators?
    Hi, installation included, 20L Geyser, pluming, cage for 2 x 48KG bottles, 2 x full 48KG bottles and connection for gas hob in kitchen.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2020 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium auto - SWAMBO's new car and she loves it.
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - sold
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

I recently fitted a 12lt DewHot for the cottage on our property (1 kitchen and 1 bathroom with a shower and basin).

Working great thus far.

Using a 19kg cylinder (also supplying a gas stove in the cottage)

Where can I get an auto changeover so that I can add a second cylinder?

Also, has anyone used the Alva gas cylinder level indicator? seems to be a magnet that attaches to the side of the cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by veedub View Post
    I recently fitted a 12lt DewHot for the cottage on our property (1 kitchen and 1 bathroom with a shower and basin).

Working great thus far.

Using a 19kg cylinder (also supplying a gas stove in the cottage)

Where can I get an auto changeover so that I can add a second cylinder?

Also, has anyone used the Alva gas cylinder level indicator? seems to be a magnet that attaches to the side of the cylinder

The change over valves are widely available.
    Those stick on magnets don't really work especially on the big bottles. The only way to really know is to weigh the bottle, the empty weight is stamped on the bottle. I often wondered if a cheap bathroom scale will last if you permanently leave it under a bottle so that you can keep a eye on it. I also read of people using pulling scales but then you must lift the bottle, so hook it on the top and then lift up by the scale.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

The change over valves are widely available.
    Those stick on magnets don't really work especially on the big bottles. The only way to really know is to weigh the bottle, the empty weight is stamped on the bottle. I often wondered if a cheap bathroom scale will last if you permanently leave it under a bottle so that you can keep a eye on it. I also read of people using pulling scales but then you must lift the bottle, so hook it on the top and then lift up by the scale.
    Was also thinking of a cheap bathroom scale.

I can find manual change over valves, but not auto ones.

Here is a link:

https://www.gotgas.co.za/auto-order-changeover
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2020 Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Titanium auto - SWAMBO's new car and she loves it.
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - sold
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

Was also thinking of a cheap bathroom scale.

I only know the manual ones where you at least still have to close the empty bottle, open the full bottle and flip a leaver to the other side, I don't know if you get full auto set and forget ones.

I installed a gas geyser. Buyt my house is double story. The geyser was installed at ground level. For easy access. But I waste 9 litres of water waiting for the hot water to come. A total waste. So I through it out, and because I only have a shower and basin, installed a 50 liter geyser. So not heating 150 liters anymore. Also, because it has a smaller heating element, I can connect it to my solar panels / invertor

Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Hi, installation included, 20L Geyser, pluming, cage for 2 x 48KG bottles, 2 x full 48KG bottles and connection for gas hob in kitchen.
    Those ancillaries do add up a bit
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs & certified)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shottie_gp View Post
    I also had the 20l Dewhot installed .
    We use about 48kgs in 2months (stove and Geyser)
    The last price for gas was R1100 for 48kgs .
    Thats about R550 a month for gas and includes cooking .

I havnt worked out the exact savings yet BUT ill always have hot water as long as i have gas .
    9kg lasts me two months for a full gas oven/stove, with a wife that bakes almost daily.

Surely your gas geyser doesnít pull that much gas?

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I can make my own electricity but I canít make gas.

Also load shedding lasts 2 hours, not two months.
    I agree with you Fluffy, I have lots of Solar and big hot water tanks so that I don't have continued reliance on suppliers, whether that is gas or electricity.

R28k could have installed a decent Grid-tie system which could save you R500 per month in electricity.
    The problem I have with going Gas is that you are just switching the energy reliance from one provider to another, Gas prices will go up over time, just like electricity so over time savings will be less vs Solar where savings will increase over time.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneyake View Post
    I agree with you Fluffy, I have lots of Solar and big hot water tanks so that I don't have continued reliance on suppliers, whether that is gas or electricity.

R28k could have installed a decent Grid-tie system which could save you R500 per month in electricity.
    The problem I have with going Gas is that you are just switching the energy reliance from one provider to another, Gas prices will go up over time, just like electricity so over time savings will be less vs Solar where savings will increase over time.
    Remember the reason for many of us going to gas is not primarily driven by saving only. In extended outages (which we have a lot) and in the past Gauteng winter, solar geysers dont make hot enough without being boosted by electricity. in an outage it doesn't make sense to being able to boost geyser at mid day only with solar. We were without power for a week recently and our neighbours with solar geyser came to shower at us with our unleaded petrol generator driven geyser. Solar geyser performance vary with geographic location is what im trying to say.

The appeal for me is that i am now in process of getting a grid tied system, and can spend more money (initially) on batteries than inverter size and panels to power the rest of my house for long outages now that major current drawers are off db...
    Last edited by GKE; 2021/08/15 at 07:45 AM.
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

OT, for the gas geyser users, just for interest sake.
    Why would a gas geyser just suddenly cut out after 2 or 3 minutes? Open the shower, temperature is perfect, don't touch the tap, nothing changes, but then the gas geyser just cuts out after 2 or 3 minutes and you have to close and open the tap again for it to fire back up.
    I recently experienced this at a camp site, is the geyser the wrong size, is the settings wrong or does it maybe need a service / clean? The geyser is only for that one bathroom so nobody else could have influenced the geyser by opening another tap.

I experienced different issues with gas geysers in the past like them being influenced by other users / taps, but never where the thing works perfect and then just suddenly cuts out.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/08/15 at 11:36 AM.

OT, for the gas geyser users, just for interest sake.
    Why would a gas geyser just suddenly cut out after 2 or 3 minutes? Open the shower, temperature is perfect, don't touch the tap, nothing changes, but then the gas geyser just cuts out after 2 or 3 minutes and you have to close and open the tap again for it to fire back up.
    I recently experienced this at a camp site, is the geyser the wrong size, is the settings wrong or does it maybe need a service / clean? The geyser is only for that one bathroom so nobody else could have influenced the geyser by opening another tap.

I experienced different issues with gas geysers in the past like them being influenced by other users / taps, but never where the thing works perfect and then just suddenly cuts out.
    Good question. The gas geyser at campsites are old school versions which can cut out if flow is too low. The geyser is probably meant to provide more water but you were the only user so it cut out. Might need some fine tuning...

Domestic type gas geysers are very different to the ones at campsites: much more modern. They are fan forced and use electronics to look at water flow and input water temp to decide how much gas to provide to heat water to preset temp.
    2013 Suzuki GV 2.4 sold
    2010 Suzuki Jimny sold

..... .
    I recently experienced this at a camp site, is the geyser the wrong size, is the settings wrong or does it maybe need a service / clean? .
    The settings is wrong. The waterflow rate and temperature must be balanced with each other. People tend to make the temperature too hot and then it will cut out.

Visitors to a campsite must never be let close to a gas geyser's controls. You may need to plan for this. That is why Almega's geysers are locked behind steel gates in that little gap and why Roger removed the knobs from the geysers at Tsendze.

Gas geysers can work very well, but they need to be set up correct. Also one gas geyser servicing multiple showers or shower plus hand basin, never works well.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    The settings is wrong. The waterflow rate and temperature must be balanced with each other. People tend to make the temperature too hot and then it will cut out.

Visitors to a campsite must never be let close to a gas geyser's controls. You may need to plan for this. That is why Almega's geysers are locked behind steel gates in that little gap and why Roger removed the knobs from the geysers at Tsendze.

Gas geysers can work very well, but they need to be set up correct. Also one gas geyser servicing multiple showers or shower plus hand basin, never works well.

I'm well aware of this thanks, and already planning for it, think I'll sommer connect the electric fence energizer to the gas geysers.
    At a campsite a shower must have its own dedicated gas geyser in my books, it's something which is non negotiable.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/08/15 at 12:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GKE View Post
    Remember the reason for many of us going to gas is not primarily driven by saving only. In extended outages (which we have a lot) and in the past Gauteng winter, solar geysers dont make hot enough without being boosted by electricity. in an outage it doesn't make sense to being able to boost geyser at mid day only with solar. We were without power for a week recently and our neighbours with solar geyser came to shower at us with our unleaded petrol generator driven geyser. Solar geyser performance vary with geographic location is what im trying to say.

The appeal for me is that i am now in process of getting a grid tied system, and can spend more money (initially) on batteries than inverter size and panels to power the rest of my house for long outages now that major current drawers are off db...
    Yeah, I think all of us looked at alternatives because of the current state of electricity. I am in East London and also don't get a lot of solar in the winter too. The main reason I want to post is let people know that there are other options.

I also would not get a Solar Geysers, as I think the money is better spent on PV.

The issues I have with going Gas is 1, you are just switching to another provider that can be unavailable for a variety of reasons but if you keep enough supply this shouldn't be a problem. 2. You are losing your thermal storage and this works well with PV.

The other thing I don't understand is that quality of life is way better when you have electricity, if in an extended outage and I can't have a hot shower that isn't as bad as no internet, no way to charge my phone, not having lights, not being able to use the kettle. Hot shower is almost at the bottom of my list.

The system I would recommend to people is 500L plus geyser. Cylinders scales so that you can increase the volume from 150L to 500L you only increase the surface area by double. This means you will only lose double the heat per day compared to 150L but you have 3.3 times more liquid, but the 500L are hot water storage tanks and a really well insulated.

500L with tempering values can supply hot water to a family of 4-5 for 3 days with the last day being lukewarm without any heating. If you bring the water to 80C you are storing 35 kwh of energy.

You then install a hybrid inverter with batteries depending on your electrical load, stoves and ovens don't use that many kwh but rather have large kw peaks so you would have to size for that or have a smaller oven for load shedding.
    You can then charge your batteries from solar once they are full any excess you have you can send to the tank.
    This way if you had an extended outage with bad weather, you have 3 days worth of hot water but you probably won't have 3 days worth of bad weather even if you do the solar array is big enough that your battery would stay topped up so your electrical loads are all still powered.

Most good inverters have multiple relays or outputs that can run the geyser only when SOC is 100% and inverter load is low, this would prevent the kettle from tripping the inverter while the geyser is heating this way you can get away with a 5KVA inverter for a system like this.

You could also install a heat pump but I rather take that 20-30k and install more PV panels.

Tank we use
    https://itssolar.co.za/product/al500...-storage-tank/
    Has 3x 1kw heating elements.
    Solar system can toggle each element on and off, so we can go in 1kw load steps.
    I have 11kw of solar and is able to run this setup. Would want to maybe add a few more panels to keep tank topped up in the winter, I don't heat from grid.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to shaneyake For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast