Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Hiking Towels

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanked: 2711

    Default Hiking Towels

    Just a heads-up.

    I wanted to get two more hiking towels at Mr Price Sport for the upcoming River Trip. Hiking towels because they dry quickly and take up no space. Mr Price Sport because in my experience, their hiking towels tend to be the cheapest.

    I was pleasantly surprised. All of their hiking towels are on special and instead of paying about R200 a towel, they're being sold for R29.99. In fact, most of the "travelling" items seem to be on special at the moment and marked down to around about R30.

    For those interested, this was at Mr Price Sport at Atterbury Value Mart. The towels are on a rack near the tills.

    Mods: I made a typo on the title. I've fixed it as best I can, but it still shows as "Towls".
    Last edited by iandvl; 2021/07/29 at 08:28 AM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    8,358
    Thanked: 2248

    Default Re: Hiking Towels

    Was just up in jhb moving daughter and went to Mr price sport to get her a costume. I saw at back those instant dry towels. I think size was 850x1600 going for R50.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanked: 2711

    Default Re: Hiking Towels

    Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Was just up in jhb moving daughter and went to Mr price sport to get her a costume. I saw at back those instant dry towels. I think size was 850x1600 going for R50.
    That sounds similar to the ones I bought in terms of size. And if it happened in Joburg too, it must be across the group. If anybody is looking for them, it might be a good chance to grab a bargain...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    52
    Posts
    9,585
    Thanked: 6995

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    I think it is part of their seasonal stock clearance across the group. Or maybe clearance of slow moving items.

    I have bought technical shirts and shorts from them on occasion which was close to R300 normal price, special also R29, 99. Used multiple stores for those purchases to get the right sizes because I obviously bought a few of each
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/07/29 at 01:10 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes


  8. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:


  9. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanked: 2711

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I think it is part of their seasonal stock clearance across the group. Or maybe clearance of slow moving items.

    I have bought technical shirts and shorts from them on occasion which was close to R300 normal price, special also R29, 99. Used multiple stores for those purchases to get the right sizes because I obviously bought a few of each
    I thought it was probably slow moving stock, but from about R200 to R29.99. That was a massive reduction and a very pleasant surprise.... I could not believe it - I had to go and have a beer to settle my nerves...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:


  11. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    10,470
    Thanked: 3689

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Best (and ultra-light) hiking towel IMHO are those microfibre dish cloths - super-absorbent and fast drying.
    Tony Weaver

    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

    Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

  12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:


  13. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    31
    Posts
    477
    Thanked: 1962

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Between braai cleaners and hiking towels Ian is becoming quite the shopper. How does the Patrol cope with those mall pavements

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:


  15. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanked: 2711

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Between braai cleaners and hiking towels Ian is becoming quite the shopper. How does the Patrol cope with those mall pavements
    Well, technically, the braai cleaner stuff was purchased by the lady friend. I just restocked yesterday...

    The Patrol battles with the pavements. I think it is the super low-profile tyres and spinners I have on. Or perhaps it is because I find it difficult to drive over them without spilling my brannas whilst my cell phone is clasped to my ear...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  16. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oasis
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanked: 6269

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Ian, if you come across a good deal on doilies, let me know.

    P.S. Tony's advice about microfiber cloths is sound.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

    "You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:


  18. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanked: 2711

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Ian, if you come across a good deal on doilies, let me know.

    P.S. Tony's advice about microfiber cloths is sound.
    I am sure it is. However, unless you are a midget, they are a bit small. Hence the reason for getting larger microfibre cloth AKA hiking towels.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:


  20. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oasis
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanked: 6269

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I am sure it is. However, unless you are a midget, they are a bit small. Hence the reason for getting larger microfibre cloth AKA hiking towels.
    They make my muscles look huge though.

    My apologies, I thought you intended to use it to go hiking.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

    "You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

  21. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanked: 2711

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    They make my muscles look huge though.

    My apologies, I thought you intended to use it to go hiking.
    To quote my first post: "I wanted to get two more hiking towels at Mr Price Sport for the upcoming River Trip".

    1: River trip is not hiking.
    2: Hiker towels take up no space.
    3: The LF's daughter and mine (possibly my son too) are joining us.

    So we're at a minimum of 4 up in the Patrol and space is scarce...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  22. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    Oasis
    Posts
    1,285
    Thanked: 6269

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    To quote my first post: "I wanted to get two more hiking towels at Mr Price Sport for the upcoming River Trip".

    1: River trip is not hiking.
    2: Hiker towels take up no space.
    3: The LF's daughter and mine (possibly my son too) are joining us.

    So we're at a minimum of 4 up in the Patrol and space is scarce...
    Enjoy the trip Ian
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

    "You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:


  24. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    King Williams Town
    Age
    53
    Posts
    8,358
    Thanked: 2248

    Default Re: Hiking Towls

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    To quote my first post: "I wanted to get two more hiking towels at Mr Price Sport for the upcoming River Trip".

    1: River trip is not hiking.
    2: Hiker towels take up no space.
    3: The LF's daughter and mine (possibly my son too) are joining us.

    So we're at a minimum of 4 up in the Patrol and space is scarce...
    It will be a point 1 if point 3's forget to pack the refreshments and braai meat
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:


  26. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Friemersheim, Southern Cape
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,968
    Thanked: 5060

    Default Re: Hiking Towels

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Just a heads-up.

    I wanted to get two more hiking towels at Mr Price Sport for the upcoming River Trip. Hiking towels because they dry quickly and take up no space. Mr Price Sport because in my experience, their hiking towels tend to be the cheapest.

    I was pleasantly surprised. All of their hiking towels are on special and instead of paying about R200 a towel, they're being sold for R29.99. In fact, most of the "travelling" items seem to be on special at the moment and marked down to around about R30.

    For those interested, this was at Mr Price Sport at Atterbury Value Mart. The towels are on a rack near the tills.

    Mods: I made a typo on the title. I've fixed it as best I can, but it still shows as "Towls".
    My wife said many thanks

    She got the last three at local store
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs)

    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:


  28. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,476
    Thanked: 2711

    Default Re: Hiking Towels

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    My wife said many thanks

    She got the last three at local store
    Glad it helped someone.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  29. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    153
    Thanked: 1936

    Default Re: Hiking Towels

    I went and got one as well. Got to the till and it was further marked down to R19.99 so took a few more
    There were still 6 left on the shelf but when the staff noticed the reduction they took the rest.
    Last edited by Nabs; 2021/08/01 at 01:25 PM.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nabs For This Useful Post:


  31. #18
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Kroonstad
    Age
    47
    Posts
    199
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Hiking Towels

    Thanks iandvl . We got some as well.
    3.8 Rubicon 2Dr Manual . 2.5 Synergy Lift with Fox Shocks . Kumho KL71 Mt's.Rickstop front and rear bumpers.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to TK-Ten For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •