Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default TLF Bronco vs Wrangler vs LR DEfender

Did anyone watch this last night?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=391AsASvmi8

The bronco certainly looks like an interesting prospect and it is a pity that Ford does not make them in RHD. The LR Did very poorly, showing that no matter what anyone tells you, low profiles on an off roader, are a bad idea.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Default Re: TLF Bronco vs Wrangler vs LR DEfender

What is certain though is that SFA rules off road. Impressive as the Bronco is, the Wrangler just looked so much more at ease in the rough. Articulation still the best, no matter what Ford claims.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

4. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    What is certain though is that SFA rules off road. Impressive as the Bronco is, the Wrangler just looked so much more at ease in the rough. Articulation still the best, no matter what Ford claims.
    What I have ALWAYS said.

TC is great, but lockers or TC with articulation is better..........and the Rubicon comes with TC, lockers, and articulation.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I watched that section of the clip many times, I'd have taken different lines in my RRS (also on 20s) in both instances.

Quite unlucky on the second puncture though.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    I watched that section of the clip many times, I'd have taken different lines in my RRS (also on 20s) in both instances.

Quite unlucky on the second puncture though.
    The whole point of the comparison was to take the same line. If not, you may as well not compare vehicles at all.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Default TLF Bronco vs Wrangler vs LR DEfender

Pity they didn’t follow the exact same line. The Jeep seemed way better on articulation with very similar breakover catching/scraping to Bronco when they did follow similar lines.

Understand that they tested vehicles as supplied from dealers…but comparing apples to apples if Jeep had 35” fitted it would have walked away with it.
    Last edited by GasHog; 2021/07/29 at 05:35 PM.
    '06 TJ Wranger | 4.0L Auto| 4.5" Lift | 35" Copper STT | 15" MT Classic II Black | 4.88 Gears

I posted this on another thread.

So this video fails in so many ways....incorrect tyres, no electronic diff, he did not use rock crawl or then super extend air suspension when he basically bottomed out. Drive the correct line and also use correct tyre pressure for the obstacles.

Americans setting up a British car to fail. Put 35's on the defender, spec active diff and use rock crawl. Idiots.

There are a lot of youtube videos where the Defender was compared to Jeeps etc. in other tests using correct tyres etc. and the outcome is a little different. This is like pro vax vs anti vax discussions....you will always find something to suit your way of thinking.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

When I did the LR experience they compared two vehicles on the same obstacle, one without the active diff.

The one with TC only had a lot more wheelspin and engine revs compared to the one that used both Centre and rear diff with TC in combination. No wheelspin and very smooth.

I think anyone who doubts the New Defender performance should go cost a LR experience Centre and see how well they perform.

To give an example on the one rocky trail, standard ground clearance in off-road height is 295mm, activating super extended mode increased to 370mm. This is activated by having the chassis just above a rock, foot on brake and hold air suspension button in, it raises extra 75mm.

Taking the correct line and using rock crawl it is pretty much unstoppable and limited by tyres only.
    Bruce Hunter

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

What you can't deny: if you throw another R500k at a JLUR there is no way the overpriced ND will get close to it on or off road and we're not even mentioning the 392 Hemi here.
    Last edited by jelo; 2021/07/29 at 05:47 PM.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    What you can't deny: if you throw another R500k at a JLUR there is no way the overpriced ND will get close to it on or off road and we're not even mentioning the 392 Hemi here.
    But then it still can’t compare to the on road performance of the ND.
    Bruce Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    But then it still can’t compare to the on road performance of the ND.
    I say it can. Here is the summary from the TFL team:

The truth is that, without a few mods, the Land Rover isn't capable of keeping up with the big boys, and since it's a pretty expensive vehicle to begin with, that will only boost its price even further. At which point, you have to ask yourself: why bother?
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I say it can. Here is the summary from the TFL team:

The truth is that, without a few mods, the Land Rover isn't capable of keeping up with the big boys, and since it's a pretty expensive vehicle to begin with, that will only boost its price even further. At which point, you have to ask yourself: why bother?
    Once again I dont take what these guys say seriously.

They are focused on clickbait to make money period.

The only mod the ND needs is 18” rims with decent off-road tyres…oh and of course making sure the e-diff is optioned.

Have you driven or been in a ND?

The Defender may not beat the Rubicon off-road…emphasis on May as there are other YouTube’s on the Rubicon trail where the Defender competes without an issue.

But there is no way the others can beat it as an all-rounder.

Spec a Rubicon price in SA and a Defebder S with apples vs apples and Defender price is higher but by maybe R300k. Bearing in mind dollar vs pound. I also don’t think the Jeep can compare to the D300 or P400 engines if I’m not mistaken.

I know which one I would prefer to drive around SA doing on road and off-road.
    Bruce Hunter

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Ah OK. Confirmation bias. Got it.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

The only mod the ND needs is 18” rims with decent off-road tyres…oh and of course making sure the e-diff is optioned.

The Defender may not beat the Rubicon off-road…emphasis on May as there are other YouTube’s on the Rubicon trail where the Defender competes without an issue.

Spec a Rubicon price in SA and a Defebder S with apples vs apples and Defender price is higher but by maybe R300k. Bearing in mind dollar vs pound. I also don’t think the Jeep can compare to the D300 or P400 engines if I’m not mistaken.

I suggest you go and watch more of the TFL video's, I would say they are very unbiased in their assessments. They actually own both the Bronco and the Defender. That blue Defender is their 3rd ND, the first 2 were both duds from the factory, so they sure gave it a fair chance and stuck with it.

With that being said the ND would likely be the better all rounder, so why would you be so sure it would also be the better off roader? Independent suspension is done for the sake of better on road performance. TC is only better than lockers in very specific off road conditions. The wrangler has both TC and lockers, plus great articulation and solid axles.

The real star of this video was the Bronco in my mind, Ford pulled out all the stops to try and compete with the wrangler and did so sufficiently well that Jeep had to come up with a more extreme version of the Rubicon, which ultimately is great for Jeep fans as they will get an even more capable Rubicon in the future. The Bronco has some really clever gadgets that work well off road.

3 impressive vehicles, with each its own pro's and con's, but for my money I would get the wrangler every day of the week and twice on Sunday every week. It is still the best off roader with the most modification potential.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Having driven the new defender - I think it is absolutely amazing. In my opinion it should have been the Discovery 4's successor.

I drove the previous gen Wrangler and on the road I would take the defender every day of the week.

The defender should have been a bit more stripped out and rugged to compete at the Wranglers price point as it stands the Wrangler has no worthy competitor in its price bracket.
    The 300k difference from the defender does put the defender in a different segment.

Fords Bronco does look great - hope they decide to make a right hand drive version that comes here.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to revred For This Useful Post:

I posted this on another thread.

So this video fails in so many ways....incorrect tyres, no electronic diff, he did not use rock crawl or then super extend air suspension when he basically bottomed out. Drive the correct line and also use correct tyre pressure for the obstacles.

Americans setting up a British car to fail. Put 35's on the defender, spec active diff and use rock crawl. Idiots.

There are a lot of youtube videos where the Defender was compared to Jeeps etc. in other tests using correct tyres etc. and the outcome is a little different. This is like pro vax vs anti vax discussions....you will always find something to suit your way of thinking.
    I watch most of TFL's videos, I enjoy their content and they are often first to real world test vehicles. Having said that their mechanical and off road knowledge leave a lot to be desired and they themselves admit they are amateurs in that regard. I definitely don't find them bias though, but perhaps their lack of expertise in some areas forces them to a bias.

I have seen the ND in extended mode while beach launching. Its got a crazy amount of clearance and you could see they did not activate it here. Also, it seems they don't really know how to use the TC effectively (on and off the power?). So while I enjoyed watching I would not take the outcome of this too seriously, especially since they used the wrong ND (it should have the locking diff). At the end there still has to be a winner even if the test was conducted again with people who intimately knew each vehicle and with the correct spec. Not sure who would win, but for me as someone who enjoys an all rounder I think I'd go ND (D300 though), but that Bronco is oh so nice, and I mean as a trail vehicle its hard to argue against the Jeep gizmos.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/07/29 at 10:38 PM.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

I will put this out there:

A standard New Defender will go further off road than a Standard JK Rubicon unlimited

This from my own off road observations.

In fact, I will say a standard D4 will go further than a standard JK Rubicon Unlimited
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

A standard New Defender will go further off road than a Standard JK Rubicon unlimited

In fact, I will say a standard D4 will go further than a standard JK Rubicon Unlimited
    I see there are owners of both ND and Rubicon on the forum, should be simple enough to set it up and see.

It doesn't seem like the new Bronco will be coming to SA, but if it were I am sure it would be a huge hit, most people don't need anything as off-road biased as a wrangler, and since the Bronco offers a lot of the same wow factor and capability in a larger and similarly capable off road package I am sure Ford would find many takers.

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Commander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

OT, but where would you place the FJ? compared to these two? and the Bronco?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Bruce, with respect I have to disagree with you here.

I have been following these guys for some time now and biased they are not. Especially on the ND the father likes it a lot and the son always teases him about it.
    They made it very clear that 18" rims cannot be fitted to the 6 cylinder models (maybe they are wrong?).
    The first ND they bought was actually specced and fitted with a rear diff lock. After LR's third attempt to supply a working vehicle, they gave them the 6 cylinder at the 4 cylinder price but could not find one with a rear diff lock at the time.

I think the main point made was not so much the ND's off road capabilities but the fact that low profile rubber off road can be problematic.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

35. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast