Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Default Zimbabwe in October - where to go - where to book Mana Pools

Name:  Screenshot_20210728_235244.jpg
Views: 249
Size:  761.8 KB

It looks as if we're lucky and Zimbabwe's land borders are in the process of opening for tourism.

We haven't been at Mana Pools before, that's been on our wishlist for a long time.
    In fact, we've only been at Hwange before.

Which camps should we book and who should we use to book?

If we get a police clearance for the vehicles now, how long are these valid? Were leaving to KNP next week and don't go back to the Cape.
    Or can we get the police clearance somewhere nearer to the border in Mpumalanga, Joburg or Pretoria?
    Do we need a police clearance for the caravan as well?
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/07/29 at 12:09 AM.

Default Re: Zimbabwe in October - where to go - where to book Mana Pools

You donít require a police clearance certificate to enter Zimbabwe.

Iím not sure who to book through, personally I wouldnít bother if you are travelling outside of school holidays.

What areas do you intend to visit and how much time do you have?

I am not sure, but strongly suspect that Zimbabwe has only opened a limited section of their border, the one most often used for day trips between the northern Kasane region and Victoria Falls. Covid is running amok in Zimbabwe from all reports, but they have managed to vaccinate almost every soul in Vic Falls town in order to desperately attempt to get that local tourism back into action. As for the rest of the country including Mana Pools, I would not be confident of it opening. I have been keeping a very close watch on their border Covid restrictions.

We were booked to go to Zimbabwe right now but had to cancel due to the land borders being rigidly closed for vehicle-based independent tourist travel - no exceptions. We had fantastic bookings including the picnic sites in Hwange, Chizarira ( Mucheni View campsite), Kariba (Gache Gache) and Mana Pools including Mucheni exclusive campsite and the normally spectacular Chitake Springs.

If the exclusive campsites in Hwange are too expensive for your budget stick to Sinamatella, Main Camp and the private Robins Camp in Hwange. At Mana there is nothing wrong with the larger Nyamepi campsite. Bookings: [email protected] or Tel: +263 24 2706077 or 8. Email and follow up with a phone call.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/07/29 at 03:58 AM.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

ďGreat journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you campedĒ.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    You don’t require a police clearance certificate to enter Zimbabwe.

I’m not sure who to book through, personally I wouldn’t bother if you are travelling outside of school holidays.

What areas do you intend to visit and how much time do you have?
    We have 2 months time, October and November.

Hwange, Matusdaona, Chizarira, Mana Pools.

We want to enter at Kazungula.

I heard some Mana camps like Chitaake are in high demand?
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/07/29 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    I am not sure, but strongly suspect that Zimbabwe has only opened a limited section of their border, the one most often used for day trips between the northern Kasane region and Victoria Falls. Covid is running amok in Zimbabwe from all reports, but they have managed to vaccinate almost every soul in Vic Falls town in order to desperately attempt to get that local tourism back into action. As for the rest of the country including Mana Pools, I would not be confident of it opening. I have been keeping a very close watch on their border Covid restrictions.

We were booked to go to Zimbabwe right now but had to cancel due to the land borders being rigidly closed for vehicle-based independent tourist travel - no exceptions. We had fantastic bookings including the picnic sites in Hwange, Chizarira ( Mucheni View campsite), Kariba (Gache Gache) and Mana Pools including Mucheni exclusive campsite and the normally spectacular Chitake Springs.

If the exclusive campsites in Hwange are too expensive for your budget stick to Sinamatella, Main Camp and the private Robins Camp in Hwange. At Mana there is nothing wrong with the larger Nyamepi campsite. Bookings: [email protected] or Tel: +263 24 2706077 or 8. Email and follow up with a phone call.
    Thanks a lot, Stan.
    We are looking at the more exclusive camps to add to the normal camps,
    we've been at Hwange and camped at the picnic site and at Guvalala platform.

We have still two months to go. We are just hoping we can go.
    We've been travelling since last year September more or less all the time, we camp most of the time.
    We are fully vaccinated as well.

Could you postpone your booking? That's really very sad
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/07/29 at 01:40 PM.

Tony?

My favourite Southern African country to visit is without a doubt Zim.

No police clearances are not required to visit Zim. Do you plan to include Zambia?

Give us a more detail on your set-up please. Such as vehicle, power, fuel, water and other.

I assume you will go to Vic Falls. You could try the campsites at the Zambezi National Park. Very rustic, isolated and a special place.

Camp sites:

Hwange - Deteema, Masuma, Ngweshla are good spots. Robins has been upgraded and is a good stop over for night or two. I would not book here. Be flexible and ask for walk-in rates.

Chizarira - any site site you can get. Walk-ins should also work here.

Gache-Gache is also a must if you have not been there. Book through contact details on their website.

Spend one or two nights at Kariba. There are a few campsites in the area. I like the fishing/angling camp on the lakeshore, turn off some 15kms before Kariba town. A lovely experience is to spend 23 nights on a houseboat. Google for contacts.

Mana Pools - Chitake no 1 for 2/3 nights, Mucheni no 3 at least 3 nights. BBC is also great. Yes Chitake is busy under normal conditions so maybe do bookings for Mana. Stan gives the contact details.

Just a warning Hwange is hot during Oct and Nov and the Zambezi Valley will be extremely hot +45 degrees C. Mr and mrs Tsetse await you, please tell them that I donít miss them 😇.

Fuel can be an issue so take precautions and donít pass a filling station without filling up. You should be OK sourcing groceries at most main towns. Cash is king.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

Does anyone know what they will require as proof of vaccination, and if a PCR test will also be needed?

Quote Originally Posted by bobhof View Post
    Does anyone know what they will require as proof of vaccination, and if a PCR test will also be needed?
    The tweet I copied in says explicitly for fully vaccinated tourists.
    They will definitely ask for proof of vaccination, we have our vaccination cards, in copy to show and the original hidden in the vehicle.
    My guess would also be on a PCR test.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/07/29 at 01:45 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    Tony?

My favourite Southern African country to visit is without a doubt Zim.

No police clearances are not required to visit Zim. Do you plan to include Zambia?

Give us a more detail on your set-up please. Such as vehicle, power, fuel, water and other.

I assume you will go to Vic Falls. You could try the campsites at the Zambezi National Park. Very rustic, isolated and a special place.

Camp sites:

Hwange - Deteema, Masuma, Ngweshla are good spots. Robins has been upgraded and is a good stop over for night or two. I would not book here. Be flexible and ask for walk-in rates.

Chizarira - any site site you can get. Walk-ins should also work here.

Gache-Gache is also a must if you have not been there. Book through contact details on their website.

Spend one or two nights at Kariba. There are a few campsites in the area. I like the fishing/angling camp on the lakeshore, turn off some 15kms before Kariba town. A lovely experience is to spend 23 nights on a houseboat. Google for contacts.

Mana Pools - Chitake no 1 for 2/3 nights, Mucheni no 3 at least 3 nights. BBC is also great. Yes Chitake is busy under normal conditions so maybe do bookings for Mana. Stan gives the contact details.

Just a warning Hwange is hot during Oct and Nov and the Zambezi Valley will be extremely hot +45 degrees C. Mr and mrs Tsetse await you, please tell them that I don’t miss them ��.

Fuel can be an issue so take precautions and don’t pass a filling station without filling up. You should be OK sourcing groceries at most main towns. Cash is king.

Sorry Stan

We got a fully kitted long wheel base Pajero and a semi-offroader Armadillo caravan.
    All together we can load 150 l Diesel. 2 spare wheels for the car and one for the trailer.

Dual battery system in the car with one fridge, and two batteries with solar and the second fridge.
    Plus water tank we only used in CKGR so far.

We are used solo travelers independent, but wouldn't do a kind of Richtersfeld track any more with that caravan.

I'm quite familiar with Hwange and I can't wait to see the revamped Robins Camp and the new Sinamatella.
    I still remember that one night at the Guvalala platform, although it was ten years ago.

We regularly go to Kgalagadi in January, February and March, hot temperatures aren't a problem.

I hope more and more people get vaccinated and Zimbabwe slowly opens up.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/07/29 at 02:02 PM.

If you have problems sorting your bookings directly with Zimparks over the phone, I can highly recommend Ant from https://www.manapools.com/.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    If you have problems sorting your bookings directly with Zimparks over the phone, I can highly recommend Ant from https://www.manapools.com/.
    Thanks so much.
    I will never call for a booking, apart from what it costs, they don't understand me and I don't understand them.
    With the crazy COVID times, I also have everything on black and white 😆

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    The tweet I copied in says explicitly for fully vaccinated tourists.
    They will definitely ask for proof of vaccination, we have our vaccination cards, in copy to show and the original hidden in the vehicle.
    My guess would also be on a PCR test.
    Thanks very much for the feedback ; we have bookings for gonarezhou for May next year ; i hope that i will not be forced to present little pieces of meaningless papers for vaccination certs etc because I will not take and have them anyway ; with the help of a forum member i have worked out a good itenary into zim via plumtree , big cave camp , zim ruins , gona , etc .; so we are very excited about next years overland trip ; will probably incorporate a visit to big save valley before crossing into moz and stay at inhassoro; tofo , and visit friends in inhambane , maputo etc ; all depends on the rt tests and how that circus will work out at the borders ; this year i have done quite a number of pcr and rt tests for botswana and the cost of having a positive false can be dire ; incorrect statistical hypotheses testing that is - accept what should be rejected and reject what should be accepted ; all for ones account and quaranteening cost if caught on the wrong side of the gambit ; at kosi/ponta in april this year they did not even do a rt on my way IN to matola ( i had no pcr test either because i had been told they would do a rt at the border ) ; what a joke!
    So a lot depends on the border controls so it looks at the moment.
    Rgds .

My bet is, well travel a long time with vaccination certificates. The game isn't over yet, in fact, were on the way to the forth wave of it in Europe.

Additionally, China is now heading for Biontech-Pfizer vaccines, as it turned out that their 4 vaccines developed with NON-RNA (old) technic are not that good, and with the Delta-Variant, probably useless...
    They have delivered their vaccines into over 80 countries. Guess what?

With the fourth wave a shortage in Pfizer and probably also J&J will happen at the same time.
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/07/30 at 11:19 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    My bet is, well travel a long time with vaccination certificates. The game isn't over yet, in fact, were on the way to the forth wave of it in Europe.

Additionally, China is now heading for Biontech-Pfizer vaccines, as it turned out that their 4 vaccines developed with NON-RNA (old) technic are not that good, and with the Delta-Variant, probably useless...
    They have delivered their vaccines into over 80 countries. Guess what?

With the fourth wave a shortage in Pfizer and probably also J&J will happen at the same time.
    Thanks for the info and feedback ! that is how you see it so that is how i hope it will work for you !
    China vaccines?.....wow ! ;first they made the virus with little prick's fauci (usa) budget ;now make masks and vaccines ... ; what a scenario !...my friend in florida usa got so sick with the moderna shot !
    Anyway ,for my travelling plans i hope that the pcr/rt pieces of paper will work .... ; but it might cost a bit eg in gabarone a pcr costed P1000 ( at least between end of Jan and end of March 2021 - i had 3 done plus the rsa pcr's plus the rt nonsense at gabs airport )- how about that ?