Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Laptop battery charging

My 3.5 year old HP Pavilion Li_ion battery only held 15 minutes charge, and would only charge up tp 89%. So I ordered a new battery from Partmasters. Fast service. 10/10. It arrived 2 days after ordering.

The question is how to look after your battery? Mine was plugged in to Eskom 99% of the time. Is it better practice to let the battery run down from time to time, or keep it on the charger?
    Mike Lauterbach

Default Re: Laptop battery charging

Mike, some excellent info on the Battery University site, my go-to battery site.

https://batteryuniversity.com/

From the BU site:

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries: https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...ased-batteries
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/07/28 at 05:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    My 3.5 year old HP Pavilion Li_ion battery only held 15 minutes charge, and would only charge up tp 89%. So I ordered a new battery from Partmasters. Fast service. 10/10. It arrived 2 days after ordering.

The question is how to look after your battery? Mine was plugged in to Eskom 99% of the time. Is it better practice to let the battery run down from time to time, or keep it on the charger?
    My 8 year old Lenovo had a function which limits the battery to be charged to only 65%. That's apparently the optimum level putting the least amount of strain on Li-ion batteries.
    When needed, the batterie could obviously be charged to 100%.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

If I remember, I'll plug out my MBP from time to time and let it run down to 15% or so, but that's quite a big if. I do the same with my phone, once in a while I'll let it run totally flat.

The rest of the time it's permanently plugged in and when I was still working all over I plugged it in when ever possible if getting to a client, sitting in a coffee shop etc.

I had a business partner who never plugged in his laptop unless he really had to he always let it run down, this annoyed me to no end for some reason. We bought our laptops more or less at the same time, mine is still going strong and the battery still holds charge for a day where his battery was fubar at the beginning of 2019 already.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

If it was plugged in 99% of the time, remove the battery after it gets to 50% charged, then when you know you will need it for that 1%, put it in and charge it up.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    My 8 year old Lenovo had a function which limits the battery to be charged to only 65%. That's apparently the optimum level putting the least amount of strain on Li-ion batteries.
    When needed, the batterie could obviously be charged to 100%.
    Thanks for the replies. I know someone who reprogrammed his charger to only charge his LiFePo4 to a lower SOC (85%?) to prolong the life.

@ Searcher, I will have a look at those links when I get a chance - read the first one a few moons back. Was hoping for personal experience here
    Mike Lauterbach

Really, are you guys serious.

Honestly. This is not an exact precise science. Replacing an HP OEM battery with a Chinese copy and then debating charging philosophies.

Hell if you get 20% extra life after all the trouble you score a Spur Burger and Coke after 4 years of angst.. If you are really lucky.

End even if you think you score, you don't actually know for sure if you did or didn't.

------------------------

Leave it plugged in, replace when faulty, --- What can be more simple.

A gazillion people do that.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/07/28 at 08:18 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

MS Windows OS has a built in command line/powershell utility to generate a battery health report.

Mike I would think at the vintage of your laptop Li-ion cells were used. At that time those batteries were rated for about 700 full discharges. 15 years ago in corporate a few of us got the same laptops. Those that left their laptops connected to power 24/7 and never took them home or to site had their batteries fubar long before mine. This repeated a few times as the laptops were replaced at fixed intervals.
    I took my laptop home and it discharged nearly every day tot 50% DOD. I used to sit and work outside until very late in the summer months.
    I have to agree with Fluffy. Use it as you please and replace when needed. Those old cells work very nice as camping LED light supply even if only 3 are used in series for 11.1V. This is on LED lights using about 500mA or less.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/07/28 at 09:27 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Mike I would think at the vintage of your laptop Li-ion cells were used. At that time those batteries were rated for about 700 full discharges. 15 years ago in corporate a few of us got the same laptops. Those that left their laptops connected to power 24/7 and never took them home or to site had their batteries fubar long before mine. This repeated a few times as the laptops were replaced at fixed intervals.
    I took my laptop home and it discharged nearly every day tot 50% DOD. I used to sit and work outside until very late in the summer months.
    I have to agree with Fluffy. Use it as you please and replace when needed. Those old cells work very nice as camping LED light supply even if only 3 are used in series for 11.1V. This is on LED lights using about 500mA or less.
    Thanks. This is info I was looking for - according to your experience, cycling batteries vs non cycling had a more positive outcome. This will not change my habit of leaving the laptop plugged in most of the time, as you and Fluffy mention "replace when needed".

On a parallel note, batteries we use at high sites last longer on solar, where they cycle daily to about 25% DOD, than those on fixed permanent voltage, except for during load shedding.
    Mike Lauterbach

Its better to cycle the batteries from time to time, but if the battery is removable then I wouldnt worry.
    A laptop like a MBP or MS Surface is a different story entirely. I had to have the bottom case of my MBP replaced twice because the battery swelled and bent the chassis.
    Now that I occasionally cycle the battery i havent had that issue again(loadshedding helped with this)
    I saw the same thing happen with all the Surface users at work, the ones who took theirs home and used them a bit were fine, but the ones who never took them off the charger mostly swelled up.

I've been working on laptops just about since they were first commercially available in ZA.

The first batteries (Ni-Cd I assume?) were horrendous.
    Then I assume they move to NiMH? Slightly better.

My current laptop is "old" in computer terms: HP Elitebook 850 G6, bought new in 2019. No issues so far, battery does not get specifically cycled.

I've just plugged it out, let's see how long it lasts.

EDIT: I have it on Performance Mode on the Power Manager, so I'm not expecting much.
    Last edited by jelo; 2021/07/29 at 09:59 AM.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

80% left after an hour. That implies that I have around 5 hours total. But as far as I know, the battery manager gets irate at around 10%, so let's say 4 hours 30 mins.

Not shabby for a 2 year old battery that has been mostly plugged into the mains.

Off to the shop to buy an HDMI cable so will see how well it hibernates on the battery only.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

16. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

67% left after 3 hours hibernation.

will continue working until I get a low battery alert.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

OK, 22% remaining after 3 hours work and 3 hours hibernation.

I could push it further, but I have a Teams meeting in 8 minutes and I'd prefer an active laptop......

So I would estimate that 4 hours is possible on a 2 year old battery, especially if I tune the power usage.

I am running an HDMI cable to an external monitor as well. So extra load on the GPU there.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Jakes, your battery is still in good nick.

I can't see myself changing my habits of keeping the laptop plugged in, so I might just leave my old battery in, which still gives 20 to 30 minutes of uptime, and take the new battery along for when it needs to run off battery power.
    Mike Lauterbach

I can't see myself changing my habits of keeping the laptop plugged in, so I might just leave my old battery in, which still gives 20 to 30 minutes of uptime, and take the new battery along for when it needs to run off battery power.
    That is a good option. Just put the new one in every month to recharge as it will slowly discharge.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Or just put the new one in and forget about it, that's what I basically implied with my earlier post, the technology is advanced enough these days to take care of itself.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Maybe not on the old tech that Mike has.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Or just put the new one in and forget about it, that's what I basically implied with my earlier post, the technology is advanced enough these days to take care of itself.
    Your last post was about an MBP - I presume that abbreviation means a Mac Book Pro. Apparrently, according to the St. Seve Acolytes I bump into from time to time, an MBP is NOT a laptop. I presume your phone is also some form of iDevice ?
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast