Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Default Re: The official Breakfast at Moegatle Trip (Part of the Gauteng breakfast schedule)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Is that Sean's Hummer above??
    The sidewalls on those tires flexed too much.
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The official Breakfast at Moegatle Trip (Part of the Gauteng breakfast schedule)

Moegatle 15 October 2021 - a newbie's perspective

I arrived around 15:30 on Friday 15th, and immediately was impressed by how netjies the campsite was. I had opted to stay in one of their permanent tents which had a little verandah, wooden bed, bedside table and lights inside the tent and outside.

I started wandering around, meeting up with some old friends such as Dirk, Rechard and family, and John (who unfortunately I had rudely not recognized when I was registering at reception – sorry, John), and finally meeting the notorious Ian de Villiers. Who actually turns out to be a nice guy in person.

A few of us ended up cooling off in their lovely pool, consuming a few frosties. New friendships were made, and old ones fostered. It was still hot at around 16:30 or so – in fact my car’s thermometer registered 38,5 degrees Celsius coming through Brits at about 15:00.

As afternoon wore into evening, more people started arriving and soon two 44-gallon drums were lit and the braaing started, with a fairly large group laagered around the fires. Once we had eaten, a few of us retired to the lovely little bar and made acquaintance with our hosts, Alex and Betsie. With some lekker music playing on their boom-box type speaker (sadly drowned out by the huge noise from the nearby lodge), some of us kuiered until a bit later than maybe we should have. Sadly the music from the lodge did disturb some people, but fortunately it was quieter the following evening.

Saturday found Renier joining us in his beast of a Hummer, and we all started congregating for Andrew’s briefing. Just before that though a few vehicles partook in what I believe is a Ramp Travel Index test. Biggest surprise I think for everyone was the performance of Kevin’s Haval H9 and Steven’s SJ410 – which actually managed the highest spot on the ramp at 127cm, beating the FJs and even the Hummer.

After a short briefing, I jumped in with Dirk in his FJ (he having kindly offered me the passenger seat), having been prior warned that the trail was not very friendly for a standard Amarok, especially with a novice behind the wheel. Through the gate we went and down the road to where the track itself began. This surprised me, as for some reason I thought the entire trail was on Alex and Betsie’s farm.

Andrew had warned us about what he calls “the gate”, meaning that if you can’t traverse that then you had best omkeer before proceeding further. Already at “the gate” I was starting to be glad I had left the ‘rok behind, and that I was travelling in a very capable FJ driven by someone with a vast amount of experience.

The trail wound through the bush (very lekker trail), with a few steep climbs and drop-offs, all of which if memory serves have chicken runs. Then over the radio came Andrew’s voice that we have reached the first grade 4 obstacle. Having seen some of the climbs and drop-offs, I was wondering what the hell lay ahead.

The obstacle I think is called “Ou Ryperd”, and soon had a gang of spectators with cellphones forming a “bushveld paparazzi”. I missed a few of the vehicles going up, but the first one that impressed me was Steven’s SJ410, which made a few valiant attempts before taking the side “escape route”, which to my inexperienced mind was almost as bad as the obstacle. The FJs made short work of the obstacle, and the double-cabs I think all made it. What really floored me was that Kevin made it in the Haval (which continues to impress most people) and double-cabs didn’t have too much trouble. I’m not saying they breezed up, but I think they all made it. Then of course Renier in the Hummer and IncredibleBob in his monster FJ decided that the “usual” route up the obstacle was too easy, and both took the more challenging left-hand line; both making that look like child’s play.

Then Johan had a go in his Defender 90 (shorty), and the excitement started! I think he may have hit a bump towards the top and suddenly the Landy was sideways on the steep slope, within an inch of a roll-over. Rechard quickly jumped onto the upward side-step to prevent this from happening. To my mind the Landy could easily have tipped over without his action. Safety first – and soon a strap was attached to the Landy’s front recovery points and Renier’s Hummer with its powerful V8 attached. After changing line a few times, the Landy’s front was forced around (with Rechard still on the sidestep), and it was pulled to the top of the obstacle. I was mightily impressed with the professionalism shown by the recovery team; especially with the emphasis on safety. All’s well that ends well.

We stopped for lunch at one of the few places where the trail widens a bit for a bit of a breather. I don’t know where he gets his energy from, but Andrew immediately tried to set up a few “dices” in the soft sand. I think he was a bit disappointed that there were no takers, but then again this is a trail that required careful attention all the time, so everyone was appreciating the short break. Soon we were off again, with sadly the Jeep Cherokee taking one step-down a bit too much at a right angle and needing his nose pulled around by Andrew. Much praise from me for the driver (sorry I didn’t get your name!) – he had the courage to take a Grand Cherokee where I was reluctant to take my ‘rok.

The next major obstacle is one of which gives this trail it’s “Terror Trail” moniker – the formidable Klipdrift. This had us all standing around gawking at it – especially us first-timers at Moegatle. I didn’t believe it was passable at all by anything other than a seriously modified pypkar, but the always-game Renier said he’d have a go in the Hummer. Well, even that mighty beast made heavy work of it, needing a number of attempts and demolishing part of the cliff in the process, showering people standing below with gravel from his right front wheel. However, with some skillful driving and a lot of right boot, Klipdrift was conquered – much to my amazement! At the cost only of a buckled number plate..

Then Neil decided he’d also have a go in the SWB Pajero. This baffled me as I thought a SWB would have a very real chance of going over backwards. Klipdrift is maybe twice the length of any SWB vehicle, and appears pretty close to vertical at points, especially if a front wheel hits one of the steps and bounces. Anyway after a few very brave and valiant attempts and cries of “Neil, iets gaan breek” Neil, very wisely in my opinion, decided to call it quits. But hats off for the attempt!

After more traversing a fairly challenging trail (even Dirk’s lifted FJ touching rocksliders once or twice) , we arrived at the most terrifying of them all: Koos se klim. We were quite a few vehicles and parking was tight. We all got out to survey this monster, which Dirk had pointed out from a distance as we approached. I have watched many videos, and the cliché is 100% true – videos do NOT do justice to this brute.

Some discussions were had, and Rechard decided to have a go in his Hilux. On his third attempt his tyres were smoking like a NHRA dragster doing a burnout for the quarter-mile. The increased temperatures obviously played havoc with his tyre pressures, so he decided to retire for a bit to let them cool down, as well as deflating a bit more. Of course Renier cruised up in the Hummer, and the FJs didn’t have too many problems except when Stephan ambitiously (or forgetfully) tried to go up in high range! Another exception was my particular driver (sorry Dirk) wondering why his FJ was down on power. Only to discover when he got to the top that he still had his handbrake on! Which says a lot for the power of that 4.0L V6, to summit Koos se klim with the handbrake on. Maybe he was just showing off. The Grand Cherokee made a valiant attempt, but also couldn’t get the traction required with too much wheelspin. As with Rechard’s Hilux, inappropriate or worn tyres seemed to be the main problem. I’m sure with that sorted, both vehicles would have made it.

Again, Kevin’s Haval impressed as he managed to summit, leaving his little bambino very unhappy down below wanting to know where Daddy went. If memory serves, 3 Fj’s, the Hummer, the Haval, a 70-series cruiser and Neil’s SWB Pajero all summited (please forgive me if I have left anyone out!).

Watching all the vehicles descend made me realize that the descent is where things can really go horribly wrong, especially as Andrew made sure all spectators (especially those rubber-neckers from the local village) were well out the way of the bottom.

Once all were safely down, it was now beer-o’-clock so back to camp we trekked where some very grateful dry throats were wet with whatever beverage was deemed appropriate. Many of us ended up back in the pool to discuss the day’s events. Later that evening we again gathered around the drums for a large communal braai. Rechard’s family had provided cupcakes and a cake to belatedly celebrate Andrew’s birthday (which had been on Thursday), and some very out-of-tune voices managed a rendition of Happy Birthday. A few strafdops were handed out before everyone settled down to braai and chat about the day. Even though I was a passenger, this writer decided on an early night, maybe age playing some small factor (excuses excuses).

All in all yet another magical weekend with a great community of people, extremely well organized and run by our usual duo of Andrew and Rechard. The trail deserves its reputation as a terror trail, in my opinion, and I really admire those who attempted it in standard vehicles. My inexperienced mind tells me that at least a 2-inch lift is preferable. But if you have the right vehicle, the trail is extremely enjoyable, and the campsite is exceptional. I always appreciate the attention to detail on these trips, and the emphasis on safety at all times. The camaraderie is the cherry on the top.

A huge thank you from me (and from all, I suspect) to specifically Andrew and Rechard for the organization and keeping us safe. A special thank you too to my chauffeur for the day, Dirk. You are a gentleman and a scholar, sir, and great company to boot! Another thank you to the gentleman (again a defective memory causes me to forget your name!) who handed out copious amounts of very lekker droe wors!

If you haven't been to Moegatle, I suggest you make a plan.
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the trip report Rob!!!
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Thanks for the trip report Rob!!!
    Pleasure...

Hope I didn't miss anything significant. Happy to be corrected where necessary!
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Looks like Renierc
    Correct. My H3

Great trip report Rob.

Now just the D v P report
    Jors Malan
    FJ Cruiser
    Website https://www.gama4x4trails.com/home
    Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/c/JorsMalan

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Nice to see so many people there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    and finally meeting the notorious Ian de Villiers. Who actually turns out to be a nice guy in person.
    Dr. Rob - you really should not lie... It was great meeting you too and all the rest of the new faces too. I really had a good time.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Dr. Rob - you really should not lie... It was great meeting you too and all the rest of the new faces too. I really had a good time.
    I was also wondering who he was actually referring to.

A WK and 8J.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

All the boys that did the Klim.
    Accept me . I drove the easy way up to take the banner.
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

A big thanks to all for the hearty reception. This was my first trip with the group, hopefully I'll be allowed back despite "my" leaky exhaust.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gootka For This Useful Post:

Hope to see you at the next one.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to renier_c For This Useful Post:

Great report Rob

Who did the trail at 2.6bar?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Great report Rob

Who did the trail at 2.6bar?
    Me. With side steps on. No that wasn't out of braveness or skill, just with the understanding that there would be bypasses at all obstacles and then Andrew's very kind lead through all the unavoidable challenges. I have to add that the GC's four wheel drive system impressed me tremendously, and it's side steps are actually surprisingly durable. It was a great outing, thanks again everyone. I'm still waiting for video clips of my attempts on Koos se Klim..

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeepiscool For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    Me. With side steps on. No that wasn't out of braveness or skill, just with the understanding that there would be bypasses at all obstacles and then Andrew's very kind lead through all the unavoidable challenges. I have to add that the GC's four wheel drive system impressed me tremendously, and it's side steps are actually surprisingly durable. It was a great outing, thanks again everyone. I'm still waiting for video clips of my attempts on Koos se Klim..
    You have the red jeep ? I am pretty sure they were posted on the WA group....
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Who do I ask to be added to the WA group?

Grand Cherokee 5.7L V8
    Alfa MiTo Quadrifoglio Verde - she's a beauty!
    JKU Rubicon Pentastar (sold )
    JKU CRD (sold)
    XJ 4liter (sold )

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepiscool View Post
    Who do I ask to be added to the WA group?
    PM me your number
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

Yip. All 17 attempts.

The tyres and a slight lack of momentum seemed to kill your progress.

A WK and 8J.

So who won, petrol or diesel?
    Or is more testing required?
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

Petrol won..

Compiling a politically correct, new age friendly report

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast