Default 4x4 campervan under 3500 kilo

What are the best optiona for a 4x4 campervan with living in space?

Can be a truck/van that can be build or is already a camper under 3500 kilo?

Default Re: 4x4 campervan under 3500 kilo

I think the question is about type of operator license And there I think it is mute, since for instance, when you take an IVECO Daily 4x4, and it is turned into a motorhome, it can be operated with a normal license...Well that is way I understand it..
    I asked "Iveco" the question some time ago when I was looking at getting one...I don't think you need to stare at the weight limit so much...If it remains a truck yes you need a 'heavier' license, but in it's motorhome guise this changes...
    But I stand to be corrected on that one...
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K - nou seun se vrou se ryding
    Mercedes - Benz GLC 250 -2017
    Noname Boswa - binnekort in die mark - Augustus
    VW California 2.0TDi 2017

Alucab khaya + Hilux shoul be below 3T

Quote Originally Posted by Robske View Post
    What are the best optiona for a 4x4 campervan with living in space?

Can be a truck/van that can be build or is already a camper under 3500 kilo?
    I dont think so , well it wont be practiacl..I dont wish to derail this thread,,,, I have a Bosluis2 on a LC79sc and it has a GVM of 3200kg and when I weighed the truck with 180 l petrol and fridge, but with no accessories or recovery gear fuel, water , food, driver or passenger it weighed 2850kg - now add the driver 120kg, passenger 56kg, 100l water 100kg and one is left 3200-3136=64kg for the rest!
    even if one packs extremely lightly one is going to be overloaded! to me the only way to do this is to tow a trailer or buy a Iveco daily or similar and then the associated licence.

the alucab Khaya weighs 650kg, the Bl slip on bosluis weighs 651kg, the bosluis 2 weighs 560kg, the Palamino ss 650 weighs approx 550kg

I dont see how one can practically achieve this in an overlanding/camping environment with a 3200kg GVM bakkie like a landcruiser 79 sc V6
    All the campers all seem to weigh in the region of 500 to 650kg and to this add the tare of the bakkie - approx 2000kg so one has a total weight of 2500 to 2650kg to which must still add the drivers weight, passenger weight, Fuel, water, recovery gear, food, beer, clothes, wood, etc - in my case I land up with an overland weight of 3886kg and the loadbin has been removed and taken into consideration ! so hope that i can avoid all weighbridges!
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

Quote Originally Posted by john_ysbeer View Post
    I think the question is about type of operator license And there I think it is mute, since for instance, when you take an IVECO Daily 4x4, and it is turned into a motorhome, it can be operated with a normal license...Well that is way I understand it..
    I asked "Iveco" the question some time ago when I was looking at getting one...I don't think you need to stare at the weight limit so much...If it remains a truck yes you need a 'heavier' license, but in it's motorhome guise this changes...
    But I stand to be corrected on that one...
    You can only operate a motorised caravan (campervan) if you manage to keep the tare below 3500kg. I know of someone who managed that with his Iveco Daily 4x4. It was managed by removing non-essential stuff, like the front diffguard, no mattress, empty fuel and water tanks etc. Once he had it licensed, he fitted solar panels etc. My Daily came out at 4.2 tons tare, so needs a heavy duty license.
    Mike Lauterbach