Default 90 Series Prado Centre and rear diff lock lights not illuminating

Hi All,

I have recently bought a 2000 model 3.4 V6 VX (auto) . During my test drive I was able to engage HL and LL, the lights went on in the cluster, indicating that the centre difflock was engaged and all is well. I could hear and see that the diff lock was on, happiness. In LL, the rear diff lock also engaged and light went on as it should. All the lights also went off when I disengaged when switching back to H. All good.

I drove the car back from PE to Stellenbosch (some heavy rain in the Langkloof). A few days later I tried to engage HL and LL and rear diff lock again. This time around when I shift to HL and LL no yellow light goes on to show centre diff engaging. I can feel low range is engaged and I can hear and see that the diff is engaged, same with rear diff lock. Its engaging as it should(i think) in LL, but no red indicator light. I'm pretty sure the diff locks are engaged as I can see the wheels grabbing when turing on a loose surface (testing on open level dirt area).

I have tried the driving, accelerating, decelerating in a straight line, revering, turning, all the normal things, can't get the lights on. The ABS light goes on as described in the manual and goes out when shifting back to H as it should.

Hopefully its just the indicator bulbs or a fuse, what else could I check or try? Hope someone can help.
    Last edited by Rebelwithacause; 2021/07/27 at 04:54 AM.

Default Re: 90 Series Prado Centre and rear diff lock lights not illuminating

Okay, so I checked all the fuses that could have something to do with the centre diff lock light in the cluster as well as with the low range and diff lock systems. All good.

Some other forums indicated that the centre diff lock switch needs to be check and perhaps cleaned. Due to the losition of this switch on the top driver sode of the transfer case between it and the body, this however seem to be a very difficult job. Can this be removed/checked without having to remove the transfer case?

Any further suggestions to check?

Have you checked the globes? I replaced one on mine, not easily obtainable but Diesel Electric had something suitable when I replaced one in my Prado.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Hi F_D,

The bulbs are good. Used the Prado at Kagga Kamma 4x4 routes this weekend and all the light came on as they should and the diff locks did the job perfectly. However after some time driving on very bumpy rocky tracks the lights would flicker and go out (diff lock still engaged) and the abs light goes on. I understand it should go on if the rear diff lock is engaged.

Camping for the evening at Tierkloof next morning all the lights work perfectly again. Might be a loose connection or switch somewhere. I will ask Toyota to inspect with the next service unless i can ealily check. Rear diff lock is easy to access but the centre diff lock switch plug connections are difficult.