Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Another Tiling Question

I'm busy renovating an old house, and we have just ripped off the old flooring, which will be replaced with porcelain tiles. Because rooms never match the dimensions of tiles, tiles have to be cut, but I hate it when one ends up with a very thin strip on one edge. This is particularly an eyesore when using big tiles like 60x60. Was discussing the layout with the tiler, and he insists that there is no getting around it except putting the cut tiles away from the line of sight. Was thinking of putting the cut tiles on both sides of the rooms so that there is some balance, but the tiler insists that it can't be done that way. Is he just being lazy to cut? What is the standard practice regarding cut tiles?

Default Re: Another Tiling Question

Busy doing exactly the same tiling job on my new build.
    i am not a tiler but have done a few large aNd small room tile laying.
    tile set out is the important first step.you design where you want your tile lines,they are there for ever.
    it may mean more cuts and consequent tile breakages,but you will thank yourself for ever.
    thin strips of tiles ( less than80mm) are hard to cut and lay .
    if you are continuing the tiles up the walls,getting your layout right is even more important.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Schollyboy For This Useful Post:

Change the tiler. I am sitting now in a room where tiles were cut in one direction on both walls to get around the issue. We have many other places the same but we have difficult shapes in the rooms so equal sizing everywhere was not possible. Tiling was done by the previous owner over 20 years back. Looking at how the tiles were laid the tiler most probably started from the passage. Two sides are exactly the same size on both sides. You cannot hide anything in a passage. In the rooms flowing out of he passage it is in most cases as many pieces of furniture tends to be near the walls.

We had recently a very small tiling job at a cottage. It was actually to do partial fix on the patio edges. SWAMBO supervised it. She had the tiler to take some tiles off because the tiler started with a full tile. Both ends had to be cut on all 3 sides. Much better looking.

Laying out the tiles is not an easy job. Tiler has to be good. I will not use those large tiles easily. Some of them have very soft top and there is a mark if minor item is dropped. Tiling using them is different to traditional tiles so you need a tiler who has done tiling using them.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Determine and draw center lines of room, tile from center lines outwards, then the cut tiles should be equal size on two opposing sides, BUT, first calculate what those cut size will be and check if they wont be to thin, also check if room is square. You can always turn tiles 45degrees,results in more cutting but it hides a skew room, or add a border on outside and 45degraa tiles inside the border.
    Tiller seems lazy, you are paying tell him to do it in the pattern you want (within reason), if he dont want to get next tiller.
    Neil

7. The Following User Says Thank You to neoT For This Useful Post:

My rule of thumb as an amateur:

The line of sight issue is indeed important.
    If you walk into the room, determine the area of the floor you will see first. Check the adjoining walls for straightness using an appropriate straight edge. If the wall is straight, you can start the first row against the wall and work away.

If the wall isn't straight: measure a straight line about half a tile width from the wall. Lay your first row of tiles down this straight line. Then cut your edging tiles and complete the row against the wall. Doing it this way : a) easier to cut a tile in half than small slivers b) there is a big chance the off-cuts can be re-used later.

Working from the middle outwards works well if it is a long narrow area as your eye will detect a skew row/line when you walk in. You might get lucky with off-cuts as neoT mentions.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post: