Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Braai Cleaner - Cobb and Potjie - (And for probably pretty much anything ever)

Considering one of the threads I started rather recently, I want to pre-empt any "kettle-calling-the-pot" type comments. Although this thread is posted in the "Braai, cooking and recipies" section, it has nothing to do with braai, or cooking. Except where I may mention these subjects explicitly when I introduce the reason for posting this.

Anyways, I am very keen on cooking on fires. I obviously do the traditional braai-type thing, but I regularly get more creative. I can prepare a whole meal in front of the fire. Bread, roast, veg, everything. I'd do desert too, except I do not do sweet things. I don't like desert. Most of the time, I've used a Weber for the roasting, but there have been times when the lack of things has forced to be creative. In Luderitz two years ago, I roasted a lamb shank on coals using only a "braai pan"... It was very good.

One of the largest gripes I've had (there is a larger one - which I'll get to shortly) in terms of the indirect / weber style cooking is the fact that one gets spoiled by it. Camping or touring for days on end, one eventually starts getting rather gatvol of "gebraaide skaaptjops" or "gebraaide sosaties" or "gebraaide beeshaas" or "gebraaide-anything" (if I may be so sacreligious to actually say that...). And in cases like that, I miss the Weber. It was for this purpose that I acquired a Cobb in January. My thoughts were that I would at least have a functional multi-purpose-type braai I could cart along with me. It would mean that I would be able to braai. And bake. And roast. And everything where-ever I was. Furthermore, since I got the large kit, I would be able to reclaim some of the space the Cobb takes in my set-up by disposing of the pot, and the pan and all of the other stuff I no longer need.

The joke of the matter, is that this set-up works fantastically. On my recent trip to Namibia, I catered for everybody on the Cobb - and we did everything from roast, to steak to pizza.

And this brings me to the largest gripe I've had. And that revolves around cleaning the flipping Cobb... It is an absolute nightmare to keep the cobb clean. If you've roasted something, expect carbonised fatty deposits underneath the lid, inside the bowl, inside the riser and also all over the plate one puts down to diffuse the heat. Likewise, if one uses the griddle, it takes forever to scrub the thing clean again. Even if one uses the (very expensive) foil inserts that one can use to line the Cobb, there will still be fatty deposits inside the bowl. And after several roasts, it just starts looking manky...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not AR. I don't expect the stuff I use to look spotless. My truck for example carries the scratches of several legendary moments where I've taken the "tiger line" through obstacles. Likewise, it is often dirty and muddy and sort of scruffyish. But I still look after it and I'm meticulous in terms of maintenance and similar. Likewise, I don't expect my Cobb to look brand new every time I unpack it. But there is a fine line between looking OK to prepare food on, and some medicinal waste autoclave device...

I've tried everything on the market to get the damned thing clean. Oven cleaners. Grease strippers. Etc. And nothing worked... The lady-friend knows how much this has been irking me - presumably because I moan about it every single time I've got to clean the Cobb - and that is often. And on Friday she (bless her cotton socks) purchased LK's Braai Cleaner at Checkers. This stuff is the business. Spray on, leave for 10 minutes. Scrub and rinse. In minutes, it cleaned 7 months of engrained carbon build up from the Cobb.

Even better, it works perfeclty on potjies as well. I had a potjie to clean yesterday too. Instead of scalding my hands in near-boiling water whilst scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing as I used to have to do as a child everytime the potjie whim hit my father, one sprays it in, leaves it stand for 10 minutes. Rinse. Wash. Clean...

In any case, for those battling with similar issues, I highly recommend this stuff. And this item has ended up on my permanent "is it packed" list for when I go touring. Hope it helps somebody.

Oh - and it comes with a super scrubber-type-spongy-thingy too... If you're looking for it - it looks like the picture.

Name:  bc.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  18.8 KB
    Last edited by iandvl; 2021/07/26 at 01:23 PM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Default Re: Braai Cleaner - Cobb and Potjie - (And for probably pretty much anything ever)

Excellent - i've also tried everything possible, BUT this.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Braai Cleaner - Cobb and Potjie - (And for probably pretty much anything ever)

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Excellent - i've also tried everything possible, BUT this.
    Well, I hope it saves you some of the agonising I've had in terms of my severe "DCS" (Dirty Cobb Syndrome). Give it a bash, and post some feedback.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I dump my grids in caustic soda and then pressure wash them.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Interesting, thanks for this.
    I recently bought myself a pressure washer for washing the cars (I aint paying >R100 for a carwash anymore!).

Anyway, yesterday I had run out of things to spray with my new toy (walls, paving, windows, patio furniture, dogs bowls, kids toys, etc etc) Until I spotted the gas braai. The usual carbon build up layer that I have become so used to was obliterated with the pressure washer! Cleanest this braai has ever looked. I can only imagine how it will turn out with the combo of this soap and the pressure washer
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I dump my grids in caustic soda and then pressure wash them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Interesting, thanks for this.
    I recently bought myself a pressure washer for washing the cars (I aint paying >R100 for a carwash anymore!).

Anyway, yesterday I had run out of things to spray with my new toy (walls, paving, windows, patio furniture, dogs bowls, kids toys, etc etc) Until I spotted the gas braai. The usual carbon build up layer that I have become so used to was obliterated with the pressure washer! Cleanest this braai has ever looked. I can only imagine how it will turn out with the combo of this soap and the pressure washer
    I steer away from pressure washers - having one would obligate me to doing things I don't like doing such like washing cars...

My vehicle is big - I don't enjoy washing it myself.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I simply let mine soak in soapy water for a few minutes and then wash it.

Nothing worse than waking up to a dirty cob.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    My vehicle is big - I don't enjoy washing it myself.
    Real Men don't wash their 4x4s, the dirt is a badge of honour.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Real Men don't wipe as well.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

I do wash it occasionally. Or rather, I take it to be washed.

Back when I lived in Brits, I'd take it to the Cock and Bull, which has a passable car wash (and they stock Tafel beer).

And I've found a new haunt here in Pretoria with a similar set up...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    True, that

They let it dry, fall off and collect in the skivvies.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    True, that

Asseblief... ek is n prentjie mens...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

True, that

Gezonki-nuts is what we called them in the Army.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    This does not help.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    only applies to the bits that stay stuck to the bumhairs..........
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

Asseblief... ek is n prentjie mens...
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Thanks Jakes and Willem... It was supposed to be a useful thread. Maarnouwat. Let us let it die now... Mods, can we lock this ? Thanks.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

My experience - I have had many braai/cooking devices in my time, and must admit, the Cobb was one of the more exspensive mistakes. I also bought some of the assesories, including a fitted thermometer, the rim ring to raise the lid, and the pan, but just simply could not get the results I was seeking, not to mention the Charka smoke flavour, and those few Charka pieces that simply does not last long enough to my liking.

I even converted mine to gas, which was brilliant for roasting potatoes, but rather disappointing for the rest, and the tiny size is an absolute disappointment.

I then switched to the Q 1200 gas Weber and for some time this has been my go-to cooking device when camping. You name it, and this little guy cooks it, wonderful pizzas, smoking chicken, pork and beef, braaing, baking wonderful breads and rolls, pork bellies, leg of lamb, veggies and what not. Everything one can do in the kitchen oven, providing you use the appropriate assesories, ie. indirect cooking devices and a trivet or two for raisng the food above the grates. At home I use the bigger brother when more mouths need be fed.
    Last edited by Poen; 2021/07/26 at 10:07 PM.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Poen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    My experience - I have had many braai/cooking devices in my time, and must admit, the Cobb was one of the more exspensive mistakes. I also bought some of the assesories, including a fitted thermometer, the rim ring to raise the lid, and the pan, but just simply could not get the results I was seeking, not to mention the Charka smoke flavour, and those few Charka pieces that simply does not last long enough to my liking.

I even converted mine to gas, which was brilliant for roasting potatoes, but rather disappointing for the rest, and the tiny size is an absolute disappointment.

I then switched to the Q 1200 gas Weber and for some time this has been my go-to cooking device when camping. You name it, and this little guy cooks it, wonderful pizzas, smoking chicken, pork and beef, braaing, baking wonderful breads and rolls, pork bellies, leg of lamb, veggies and what not. Everything one can do in the kitchen oven, providing you use the appropriate assesories, ie. indirect cooking devices and a trivet or two for raisng the food above the grates. At home I use the bigger brother when more mouths need be fed.
    Sorry - my first post is probably a little confusing. I still prefer my Weber as there is so much more that I can do with it. However, the Cobb gives me the versatility and portability that I want. I'm also not a massive fan of cooking on gas when camping. Whilst I used to travel with a cadac gas bottel and associated accessories, I don't do this anymore - they take up too much space. So I only take one of the small Alva gas-stoves. What cannot be cooked on there is cooked on the fire / cobb / whatever.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Name:  bc.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  18.8 KB

Hi Ian,

I am not disputing the cleaning abilities of this product you are punting, but at an average price of R70 for 300ml I am more inclined to use Prepsol (previously recommended on this forum) at R160 for 5 liters.

Just makes MORE economical sense....Spray on leave for 15 minutes and rinse with clean water and mild scrubbing if necessary.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirkba For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast