Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Braai Cleaner - Cobb and Potjie - (And for probably pretty much anything ever)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirkba View Post
    Hi Ian,

I am not disputing the cleaning abilities of this product you are punting, but at an average price of R70 for 300ml I am more inclined to use Prepsol (previously recommended on this forum) at R160 for 5 liters.

Just makes MORE economical sense....Spray on leave for 15 minutes and rinse with clean water and mild scrubbing if necessary.
    Although I like Prepsol (I've been using it for 40yrs), I don't rate it for baked-on oil/fat residue.

I am going to try the LK stuff and see.

PS My first 5l can of Prepsol cost R2-45!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Braai Cleaner - Cobb and Potjie - (And for probably pretty much anything ever)

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Although I like Prepsol (I've been using it for 40yrs), I don't rate it for baked-on oil/fat residue.

Agreed, i've tried everything on my weber .... nothing works

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Whow ....that is like 10% average inflation over 45 years!

However the prepsol cleans my braai grid and has so much more applications for other cleaning jobs as well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirkba For This Useful Post:

Hands down one of the best cleaners in the world for a braai - it really does everything the OP says.
    Mark Trollope
    Prado 120 V6, Fortuner V6, Hilux 2.7, Cruiser 80 EFi, Cruiser 75, Lexus RX350, Rav4 GX, Jaguar JAKI4

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Trollope For This Useful Post:

Hi Ian,

I am not disputing the cleaning abilities of this product you are punting, but at an average price of R70 for 300ml I am more inclined to use Prepsol (previously recommended on this forum) at R160 for 5 liters.

Just makes MORE economical sense....Spray on leave for 15 minutes and rinse with clean water and mild scrubbing if necessary.
    I'm not familiar with Prepsol - and I've not seen it mentioned on this forum. R70-odd for 300 ml is possibly expensive compared to Prepsol but I'm happy paying this as it works. Especially since reading some of the responses after this post indicate that Prepsol might not be that effective. If I happen to come across some Prepsol I'll give it a bash, but I'm not going to go and look for it specifically. In the meantime, I'll stick to the LK's, as it works like a bomb. In my perception at any rate.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I would be scared to use any kind of degreasing agent on braais etc.
    What if its poisonous.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    I would be scared to use any kind of degreasing agent on braais etc.
    What if its poisonous.
    I'm not familiar with Prepsol, but it is apparently a "Water-based" degreaser. Which means it will be fine provided you rinse and wash after application,

I'm pretty sure the "LK's Braai Cleaner" is probably also not fantastic to ingest.
    Last edited by iandvl; 2021/07/27 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Oh - I bought another one today to put in the camping kit. It is the first time I have bought one, so the first tine I have seen prices. I am not sure if they are on special or not, but they were R40 - not R70. At Checkers Atterbury Value Mart.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I'm not familiar with Prepsol, but it is apparently a "Water-based" degreaser. Which means it will be fine provided you rinse and wash after application,

I'm pretty sure the "LK's Braai Cleaner" is probably also not fantastic to ingest.
    Ian, does it not damage the non-stick coating?
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"You too need a new signature" - Hedgehog

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Ian, does it not damage the non-stick coating?
    Willem, the Cobb is stainless. It has two non-stick components. The griddle and the pan. I've washed both with the stuff and do not see any damage. Time will probably tell. I doubt any damage inflicted by degreaser will be worse than the scouring I subject the griddle to in my attempts to clean it.

Anyways, I just wanted to update on the price. It was placed at R70 earlier. It turned out cheaper.

PS: Somebody referred to it earlier as a product I am punting. I am not punting products. It is just the first product I found which actually works as it should. I am in IT, not cleaning stuff....
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

You still have the container
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Oh - I bought another one today to put in the camping kit. It is the first time I have bought one, so the first tine I have seen prices. I am not sure if they are on special or not, but they were R40 - not R70. At Checkers Atterbury Value Mart.
    If facts matter....

250ml = R49.99 at your store
    300ml = R69.00 Camp & Climb (google) - like the one in your original post!

If facts matter....

250ml = R49.99 at your store
    300ml = R69.00 Camp & Climb (google) - like the one in your original post!
    If facts matter. I bought this one in the photograph below. It definitely does not look like a 250ml one to me. And it was R39.99 or something similar. I rounded it to R40. Sadly, I no longer have the till-slip as I didn't realise I'd have to make myself accountable to you. I can probably always take a drive down there tomorrow and get a photo of the item and the price on the shelf ?

Name:  lk.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  195.8 KB

On a serious note. I fail to see what the issue was - I've already indicated that I'd happily pay R70 because the product works and you're welcome to stick to your prepsol.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

The Cobb Cleaner is also good but expensive, also used to clean my Weber's.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamesp For This Useful Post:

Shout out to the OP. This cleaner is FANTASTIC for braai grids. Went and got some on the strength of his recommendation and used it today and was most impressed. R40 at Checkers, much cheaper and better than Zeb which is what I used to use.
    Will also be going back for a second bottle to keep in the camper.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to jcole For This Useful Post:

I found one at the local paint store called Bliksem. Works a damn side better than oven cleaner, and doesn't burn your hands.
    Good for degreasing as well.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    '94 LC 80 GX
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

24. The Following User Says Thank You to steamer For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2