Default Rear suspension noise Toyota hilux 2.4 GD6

Hello everyone and greetings from Spain I have been a member of this forum since 2011 and although I have written little but I follow them daily.

I have traveled several times to South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia and Mozambique.

I have had a hilux 2.4 GD6 for three years and it has 45,000 km and I have made several trips through Africa with it. The most important at the end of 2019, which for 2 months travels to Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal and Guinea Bissau. It has some improvements, among them an Old Man Emu + 4cm suspension, with OME nitrocharger sport shock absorbers and also OME springs and leaf springs (+100 kg on the front axle and +600 kg on the leaf springs). A year after mounting the new suspension I began to hear noises in the rear axle, at first with some grease in leaf springs and silentblock it was solved, but now the noise is continuous. I would like to know if something similar happens to you and if there is a way to eliminate the annoying noise.

Thank you very much in advance
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210726-WA0000.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	624233 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210726-WA0001.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	346.2 KB 
ID:	624234 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210726-WA0002.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	283.1 KB 
ID:	624235

Pretoria / Motopi Village, Northern Botswana

Default Re: Rear suspension noise Toyota hilux 2.4 GD6

Would help to know what type of noise...under what conditions are you hearing it i.e. when driving over speedbumps or through potholes or is it continuous?
    Last edited by Trevor_Mathews; 2021/07/26 at 08:11 PM.
    2018 2.8 Gd6 Hilux DAKAR with extras
    2012 Bushlapa Miskruier

Have 2 4x4's with OME. Hilux SFA 1995 and a LC 79 2009. Both need to have grease maintanance as per OME directive.

Have found that i need to do after any hard and wet trip or in any really dusty condition with rough or broken terrain. If not, the suspension squeaks and sort of grunts when the wheels articulate a lot. Bushes make a noise and the springs rub between themselves laterally as well. Gives a klonk sound when the vehicle tilts in opposite directions quickly.

Periodically do shackles which are greasable, springs at the bushes as well as between all others and sometimes the shock bushes. Use a torque wrench to tighten. Toyota had maintained the cruiser for 2,5 years and had not touched the OME. Owner then did not know differently, and had inadvertently not requested as well.

Thanks for your answers, I must say that in general I am very happy with my hilux. But I don't have much experience with vehicles that use leaf springs on the rear axle, my previous vehicle was a Prado.
    As Ed Rouillard points out, the noise started after a rough and dusty ride. The noise is produced when the vehicle rolls over bumpy or rough terrain and is continuous. Just when I get on or off the car the rear suspension makes noise. And my trusted mechanics don't know what to do to improve this.

Without a doubt I think it will be a greasing problem, but I did not know how to do it, and that is why I have asked if it is frequent.

I appreciate the time you have taken to answer me and any new help you can offer.

Greetings

Have you had a look at the bushes (shocks and leaf pack). One might have damage or it needs to be greased.
    Also, have look at the shocks (might be leaking) and if all the blades are whole (might have cracked).

Just ideas ....
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

For info I wash the underside of the overlanding vehicle with a Karsher washer taking some care not to direct at bearings. After every trip as they are either dusty or muddy and wet.

Then I grease the OME with MS grease via greasable shackles at the rear and lift each side a little with a HLJ to open up springpack, wash dirt out, let dry, and inject grease in the 2 or 3 grease points, and every odd trip, also grease the springs that do not have the points by prising with screwdrivers and grease with tool or knife. Then drive and let the suspension articulate to smear grease. Then wipe at some stage. Steering gets greased, props as well but with normal grease.

Find that a few hundred kays off road in dusty or wet environment is enough to need clean and grease. We do around 500 to 800 kms off road and 200 to 300 on gravel as well. Per trip. Does not take too much time. Had it done once by 4x4 Mega by Peter Giffert when he was there.

Did find that there was noise when I got in and out when I got the cruiser at 80k kms as they had not - never- been greased.

Also find that the springs need some "alignment" from time to time. Saw how Peter did it. The spring holders or guides had worn out the plastic sleeves at some point and that made loud squeak. I use rubber as 4x4 Mega did not have the service kit a few years back.

There may be YouTube videos but I saw Peter do it.