Default R43 Google says route has limitations and or restrictions. Some local advise please

Hi, I'm traveling down to Hermanus on Monday. Thought I'd take the scenic route rather than driving through Cape Town.

Google maps says the R43 has limitations and or restrictions.

Am I likely to have to turn back or take a big detour if I drive the R43 from N7 into Hermanus?

Thanks
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

Too busy searching for brownies to go anywhere, but some of the places these guys hide are as good as a holiday

Default Re: R43 Google says route has limitations and or restrictions. Some local advise plea

Not from n7 to hermanus. There is roadworks after hermanus to gansbaai with stop and goes. Otherwise should be plain sailing
    Riaan
    Mahindra S10 DC Pikup
    GWM Steed DC 2.8 TCi - Dastek(Sold)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to relec For This Useful Post:

Default Re: R43 Google says route has limitations and or restrictions. Some local advise plea

Not sure about that route, haven't driven it in a while.

But if I can suggest:

Turn off at Malmesbury then drive via Paarl, Franschhoek, Franschhoek pass, at the dam T-junction turn right.

Here Google maps will be of some help.
    After a few kilometres turn left and drive the Van Der Steel pass to Botrivier.
    From there it's straight to Hermanus.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Any of those suggestions will work without major detours. The only roadworks currently are the Stanford side of Hermanus.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to niclemaitre For This Useful Post:

Running late so went the “Garmin fastest route”. Making good time until I met up with a traffic jam going into Sir Lowreys pass😩

Oh well, it’s a pretty enough place to get delayed.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

Too busy searching for brownies to go anywhere, but some of the places these guys hide are as good as a holiday

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Newnham View Post
    Running late so went the “Garmin fastest route”. Making good time until I met up with a traffic jam going into Sir Lowreys pass��

Oh well, it’s a pretty enough place to get delayed.
    You could have turned around right there and taken Clarens Drive via Gordon's bay. Very scenic and would have saved you some frustration.

What happened? Accident?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Held...34.4092004!3e0
    Last edited by Francois Theron; 2021/07/27 at 11:03 AM.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Hi Francis, yes accident on horseshoe bend . They cleared it fairly quickly and being a stranger in town I thought it best to just sit and look at the mountains and grass. We don’t see a lot of either in Port Nolloth.😁

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Not sure about that route, haven't driven it in a while.

But if I can suggest:

Turn off at Malmesbury then drive via Paarl, Franschhoek, Franschhoek pass, at the dam T-junction turn right.

Here Google maps will be of some help.
    After a few kilometres turn left and drive the Van Der Steel pass to Botrivier.
    From there it's straight to Hermanus.
    Couple of long days in the saddle but all round a successful trip.

Doc says I have enough functioning grey cells to last another year and looks forward to seeing me in 2022. SWAMBO is happy, her shopping list was fulfilled and thanks to JFH I discovered some stunning parts of the country I have not seen before.

Took, your advice and came back via the pass, over the dam up through Franshoek and eventually onto the N7 for the long run home.

Would have been a lot quicker if I hadn't stopped to take so many pics. Forum rules, no pic it never happened. Here's the proof
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0542.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	624556   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0545.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	736.0 KB 
ID:	624557   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0548.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	476.5 KB 
ID:	624558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0554.jpg 
Size:	394.4 KB 
ID:	624559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0557.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	462.2 KB 
ID:	624560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg 
Size:	855.8 KB 
ID:	624561  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Newnham For This Useful Post: