Default Bogenfels enquiry

When we were in Luderitz in 2017, we discovered that a spur-of-the-moment day-trip to Bogenfels was not possible, due to the police clearance required prior to this.

We want to give it another try middle September, but our dates are not very flexible.

Is it possible to apply for such a permit directly from SA with a say, two week window, and then report to one of the tour operators in Luderitz with it, ready to go?
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Default Re: Bogenfels enquiry

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    When we were in Luderitz in 2017, we discovered that a spur-of-the-moment day-trip to Bogenfels was not possible, due to the police clearance required prior to this.

We want to give it another try middle September, but our dates are not very flexible.

Is it possible to apply for such a permit directly from SA with a say, two week window, and then report to one of the tour operators in Luderitz with it, ready to go?
    Yes you can. We did it a few weeks ago. Booked through Luderitz Safaris. Because of covid, you drive in your own vehicle and follow their guide. Each vehicle has a radio. Prices are also drastically reduced. That area is part of a national park and the police clearance issues are no longer a problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnielsen View Post
    Yes you can. We did it a few weeks ago. Booked through Luderitz Safaris. Because of covid, you drive in your own vehicle and follow their guide. Each vehicle has a radio. Prices are also drastically reduced. That area is part of a national park and the police clearance issues are no longer a problem.
    Do you mean you do not need a police clearance any more?

Thanks. I've read some user reviews of specific tour operators, and Coastways tours, whom I would like to use, had some complaints.

One was about a lunch issue and the other about the unforthcoming refund of booking fees due to Covid forcing a noshow.

Are there grounds for this or are these just outlyers? I do understand some people are professional objectors.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Thanks. I've read some user reviews of specific tour operators, and Coastways tours, whom I would like to use, had some complaints.

One was about a lunch issue and the other about the unforthcoming refund of booking fees due to Covid forcing a noshow.

Are there grounds for this or are these just outlyers? I do understand some people are professional objectors.

We used them late last year and they were great. A wonderful day out. Worth doing.

And when we did it (nov 2020) things were changing due to changes in management of the area. It still took some “doing” in terms of access - but the guide did say change was afoot.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/07/25 at 06:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Do you mean you do not need a police clearance any more?
    Just a correction…it was Coastway Tours. No police certificate. They took us to the Elizabeth Bay security gate next to Kolmanskop. Had to do a breathalyzer test, goodness knows why…we were driving our own vehicles. From there, we travelled about 12km back towards Aus, turned right, went through an unmanned gate and we were in.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

Thanks all. I'll contact Ramon for the official details.

We know him from a Westcoast 4x4 Saddle Hill trip in 2006, where he drove the support vehicle with the 44 gallon drum of petrol and was also the Namibian citizen, required for any tour concession.

We were in a Subaru Forester at the time.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

It's a spectacular route. The arch is something to see.
    Enjoy!
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

11. The Following User Says Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

The problem with photos is that they don't give you real perspective.

In this photo below if you look closely you will see someone in a yellow windbreaker standing on top of the arch. That gives you some perspective as to size.

C
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Yes, it's big.

My dad worked at CDM Oranjemund in the late 40s. They had been up there over weekends.

Not sure whether he witnessed it or whether it was something he heard, but he liked telling us that someone flew through the arch with a small aircraft.

At that time it probably would have been a biplane, something like a Tiger Moth.

We'll eyeball dimension it to see if it would have been possible, when we get there .
    Last edited by JJJ; 2021/07/29 at 09:26 AM.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Yes, it's big.

My dad worked at CDM Oranjemund in the late 40s. They had been up there over weekends.

Not sure whether he witnessed it or whether it was something he heard, but he liked telling us that someone flew through the arch with a small aircraft.

At that time it probably would have been a biplane, something like a Tiger Moth.

We'll eyeball dimension it to see if it would have been possible, when we get there .

Def. Possible.

I never knew about this spot. Thank goodness for these forums. I have already adapted our itinerary AND contacted the tour operator.

Just an update on the Bogenfels tour status.

Received written confirmation from Coastway Tours this morning Mon 23 Aug 2021 that they cannot offer the Bogenfels tour presently as they are still waiting for the concession approval and has no indication when this will happen.

They can however offer the Elizabeth Bay tour, either in their vehicle or your own. No police clearance required, just a copy of your passport.

Doing the finances in the meantime, this outing has anyway become economically unwise.

As we are entering Namibia after a week in the Richtersveld, we have to return to Springbok, which is the nearest location where a full Covid test can be done.

The hospital directed us to Pathcare, due to the test being for tourist purposes and not an emergency.

We arrive in Springbok on Sunday, when Pathcare is closed. They test on Monday 2 - 4pm. The samples are sent to Cape Town for analysis and we get the result on Tuesday pm - but maybe only by Wednesday morning. If Wednesday, that is another night of gratuitous accommodation.

Counting the cost, this comes to R850 to R950 times 2 for the Covid test. Plus possibly 3 nights accommodation in Springbok or environs at conservatively R1000/day, plus meals.

So before we have left Springbok, Namibian entry would already cost in excess of R5000.

We don't think this worthwhile, anymore. Rather do the Namaqualand National Park, Shipwreck Trail, visit Spoegrivier, etc?

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

I got the same feedback about a week ago. My trip is only end of Sept, so hopefully they can get their act together, and I can get to Bogenfels.