Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The fabled 3500kg towing capacity

Whenever bakkies are tested, especially in Oz, the much hyped 3500kg towing capacity always comes up.

John Cadogan, much as I dislike him, makes a very well versed, solid argument about the fallacy of it all. If you can live through the first couple of minutes, do have a look here. Food for thought. Makes you have a little bit of respect for the law makers in SA actually

There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The fabled 3500kg towing capacity

Youíre right, good information but he is a pratt.

I wouldn't say he's the best out there but he does break some topics down quite well from an engineering point of view. I do struggle to get through his jokes - his channel would be more successful if he toned it down a little and stopped bashing every brand apart from Hyundai.

Out of interest, what is (for example) a 3.2 Ford Ranger Double Cab Auto in ZA tow capacity?

Here in Kangarooville, I would bet money that most donít know what they are allowed to load and tow.

Most see the 3500kg on the brochure and fail to see the little asterisk behind it and donít go read the fine print.

Then goes out and buys a 3000kg caravan, load it full of camping gear,hook up and go.....
    Dit Reent.... n Kraai Knetter.... Erens Poep n Vark.....

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post
    Out of interest, what is (for example) a 3.2 Ford Ranger Double Cab Auto in ZA tow capacity?

Here in Kangarooville, I would bet money that most donít know what they are allowed to load and tow.

Most see the 3500kg on the brochure and fail to see the little asterisk behind it and donít go read the fine print.

Then goes out and buys a 3000kg caravan, load it full of camping gear,hook up and go.....
    Does something like a 3000kg caravan even exist? That is double the weight of an Explorer. I think this type of weight is more relevant in the industrial or agricultural areas.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie1960 View Post
    Does something like a 3000kg caravan even exist? That is double the weight of an Explorer. I think this type of weight is more relevant in the industrial or agricultural areas.
    In Aussie land you do...check this one...GVM 3 200kg, ATM 3 500kg (ATM stands for aggregate trailer mass and refers to the combined weight of the trailer (tare weight) and the maximum trailer load.)

https://www.caravancampingsales.com....-7292287/?Cr=6
    Last edited by Prof; 2021/07/25 at 08:01 AM.
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    In Aussie land you do...check this one...GVM 3 200kg, ATM 3 500kg (ATM stands for aggregate trailer mass and refers to the combined weight of the trailer (tare weight) and the maximum trailer load.)

How can the ATM be higher than the trailer's GVM?
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2021/07/25 at 09:08 AM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

Why does everyone call this Aussie names? Is it maybe because he also shoots straight when it comes to toyota and he says things that hurt the herd's feelings?

Most don't get max tow weight, maar my haailux/ranger/triton etc met die chip sleep 3 en 'n half ton soos niks......
    HENK

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Hey, the Aussies are different!
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    ATM - Aggregate Trailer Mass - is the total weight of the trailer - jockey wheel and road wheels on the weighbridge. GTM - Gross Trailer Mass - is just the road wheels on the weighbridge.

Caravans with an ATM of 3500 kg are very common in Australia. I refer to them as "a block of flats on wheels" but they are extremely popular. I don't understand why you would want to tow 3500 kg - my hybrid camper has an ATM of 1900 kg and it usually weighs in around 1800 kg on trips.

The number of 3500 kg caravans you see being towed by overloaded twin cab utes - bakkies to you - and overloaded 200 Series Toyotas is terrifying! All illegal rigs.

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Australian member
    2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD
    VistaRV Crossover XL campertrailer

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numb Thumbs For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post

And then it sleeps 2 people! And is an off-roader. I can now understand what he went on about!
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie1960 View Post
    And then it sleeps 2 people! And is an off-roader. I can now understand what he went on about!
    I saw a caravan at a show here that was triple axel and weighed around 4000 kg and was labelled "Off-road". It had checkerplate glued on the sides, so it must be off-road!

Caravans this weight are incredibly common in Australia and people (try to) tow them all over the place - even Fraser Island which is entirely sand. It never ceases to amaze me. There seem to be an increasing number of them involved in accidents because people cannot travel overseas. They decide to buy a 4WD and a HUGE caravan and setoff on "trip of a lifetime", even though they have never towed anything bigger than a 6'x4' box trailer to the tip, if they have done even that.

As Cadogan says, you cannot practically (or safely!) tow these things with anything under a "full sized" USA pickup - and even a few of those can't because they have ridiculously low rear axel limits. A 2500 kg tow vehicle (because it has to be empty to stay under the GCM limit) towing a 3500 kg caravan is not a safe option. The tail wags the dog.

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member

It's the wimmins fault
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

With our brand of camper, it seems to be the females who want to trade up to something with an inside toilet and shower. Then a washing machine, then a dishwasher, then a tumble drier, then a...

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    It's the wimmins fault
    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
    With our brand of camper, it seems to be the females who want to trade up to something with an inside toilet and shower. Then a washing machine, then a dishwasher, then a tumble drier, then a...

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Exactly.. And then the "mine is bigger than yours", comes into play.
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

Tow capacity is 3500kg but maximum legal tow weight is 2140kg
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post

Last edited by Tom13; 2021/07/26 at 08:37 AM.

Yep, His and Hers ensuites, front verandah - I kid you not... Piazza Series Ė Royal Flair Caravans | Australia's Finest Caravan Manufacturer

OMG, will it never stop? I'm waiting for the three story model with a pool and spa on the roof...

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member

Quote Originally Posted by Numb Thumbs View Post
    I saw a caravan at a show here that was triple axel and weighed around 4000 kg and was labelled "Off-road". It had checkerplate glued on the sides, so it must be off-road!

Caravans this weight are incredibly common in Australia and people (try to) tow them all over the place - even Fraser Island which is entirely sand. It never ceases to amaze me. There seem to be an increasing number of them involved in accidents because people cannot travel overseas. They decide to buy a 4WD and a HUGE caravan and setoff on "trip of a lifetime", even though they have never towed anything bigger than a 6'x4' box trailer to the tip, if they have done even that.

As Cadogan says, you cannot practically (or safely!) tow these things with anything under a "full sized" USA pickup - and even a few of those can't because they have ridiculously low rear axel limits. A 2500 kg tow vehicle (because it has to be empty to stay under the GCM limit) towing a 3500 kg caravan is not a safe option. The tail wags the dog.

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    We visited my brother in Canada.
    They use the F250, Dodge Rams and large Chevs to tow caravans around and they weigh HEAVY.

His rig is 1880 kg empty and uses a Dodge Ram 4x4 with towing kit - semi off road rig.

Seen some going around weighing in at 8000 kg for tar use not off road.
    Crazy.

I am happy with 820 kg empty, max 1500 kg going off road.
    In soft sand it is heavy, so depends where we go and how we pack.
    Danie & Marinda - die wiele is rond, dus moet hulle hardloop - afgetree nou leef ons net.
    2017 BL - Kewer B1115 RUS WA GP - bos en kamp tyd
    2016 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost - daaglikse ryding
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 DC XLT 4x4 - nuwe rondloop ry ding, nou sleep ons! (2017)
    2011 Echo 4, die RUSWA-ZN - (verkoop 44 000 km)
    2010 Ford Ranger 2.5 DT DC XLT 4x4 - rondloop ry ding met "bietjie ekstra" krag (Verkoop 177 000 km)
    2005 Chev Aveo - Afgeskryf (2016 130 000)
    2005 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 180 000)
    2003 Opel Corsa 17DTi - Geruil (warm enjin 150 00)
    2000 Nissan Hardbody - Geruil (pyne by die duisended 52 000 km)
    1998 Opel Kadett - Dogter se wiele geword in 2003 (baie warm enjin 116 000 km)
    1990 Datsun 1800 short wheelbase - Pa se ou plaas bakkie, na die Nissan die pad gevat het met sy probleme in 2003 (117 00km)
    1990 Hilux 2.4D - en hy kon loop, pomp en top gewerk aan.
    1984 Opel Commondore - het gehardloop
    1983 Safary 3 karavaan - verkoop en begin tent in 2000 (51 000 km)
    1980 Ford Granada 3.0 - warm enjin afgeskryf
    1969 VW 1600 TL - geen einde nie, warm enjin en geruil
    1968 VW 1600 L - geen einde en baie warm enjin, verkoop in 1998 (328 000 myl/525 000 km)

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    It's the wimmins fault
    It has always amazed me how much control women have when it comes to deciding what is going to be the off road camping setup. The husband is then stuck with making it work for madam.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nightjar For This Useful Post:

Yep, that pretty much is how it works! And they have no idea how much work it is...

Cheers
    Numb Thumbs
    Australian member

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast