Default Toyota Hilux Legend 50 4x4

Current i have a Toyota Hilux Raider 2.8GD6 4x2 (2016). I am looking to upgrade to a 4x4 and have found a second hand Legend 50. Would the Legend 50 a good 4x4 and would this be a worthwhile upgrade. If you have a Legend 50 4x4, please let me know your feelings.

Default Re: Toyota Hilux Legend 50 4x4

I dont have a legend 50, but I do have a 2018 4x4.
    The Legend 50 is no different from the ordinary hilux bakkies as far as 4x4 capability is concerned. It is merely a "aniversary edition". The differnces are all cosmetic and they have a different trim. Very very good 4x4s and they will deliver everything any other 4x4 can. With the trim upgrade they are very nice inside as well
    '18 Hilux 2.8 GD6 DC 4x4
    '96 Hilux 2.4P DC 4x4 Bloutrein
    Echo 4 Trailer

You can't go wrong with a legend50. I'm almost at 47 000km's in 2 years and not a days issues. Personally I also think it's one of the best looking versions of the gd6 range since launch( I may be biased on that though )

Also note, the legend 50 is on the only spec that has the head unit flush with the dash, i.e. Not the tablet design nonsense, which immediately makes it more pleasant to be inside(again my biased opinion)
    Current: 2019 Legend 50 D/C auto 4x4 - still to be named.
    Previous:
    '06 Prado VX - Nickname Bruce
    '05 Ford Ranger Supercab 2.5TD XLT - Big Joe
    '06 Fiesta ST - Thor
    '97 Mazda 1300 rustler - Joe
    '81 1100 2door VW golfie - Tracey

4. The Following User Says Thank You to souti For This Useful Post:

I have just acquired a Raider Spec and was wondering from the Cognicenti? How will it do with 265/70 R 17 Tyres. I had these on my amarok and loved them, and would prefer to have the same on the Hilux, but I will tow heavy loads from time to time and so the motor needs to be able to turn them. The amarok did need downshifting from time to time to manage with a heavy load, but the Hilux is auto so not sure if it will have the smarts to manage the change in tyre diameter?

Also wont consider suspension yet, but once I have my winch and front tow bar fitted I may have to revisit this. I was very happy with Mikkems coils and Bilstein. Has anyone done this on a Hilux?

I have this exact setup.

I am running 265/70/17 tyres, with a Mikem fitted suspension (B6 shocks front and rear, Mikem uprated coils and replacement leaf pack).
    No complaints at all from my side.
    Mikem is great to deal with, as you probably know.

I had the 265/70/17's on for a month or so before fitting the suspension. No rubbing issues or noticeable power difference I can recall.

From my experience, the vehicle should have no issue driving the upsized tyres. When towing my Maxi it is not a problem either, however, I suspect the towing weight you are referring to is more than an off road trailer (if I recall from previous threads, you tow a large ski boat?). So I cannot comment on this from my personal experience.
    Hilux 2.8 D/C 4X4 AT
    Metalian Maxi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NTRyan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NTRyan View Post
    I have this exact setup.

I am running 265/70/17 tyres, with a Mikem fitted suspension (B6 shocks front and rear, Mikem uprated coils and replacement leaf pack).
    No complaints at all from my side.
    Mikem is great to deal with, as you probably know.

I had the 265/70/17's on for a month or so before fitting the suspension. No rubbing issues or noticeable power difference I can recall.

From my experience, the vehicle should have no issue driving the upsized tyres. When towing my Maxi it is not a problem either, however, I suspect the towing weight you are referring to is more than an off road trailer (if I recall from previous threads, you tow a large ski boat?). So I cannot comment on this from my personal experience.
    Well just went to Superquick around the corner and it looks like the 265/70-R17 is not even an option at this point at the sort of money I would be willing to spend. I guess that I shall ride these tires to their death and then replace when needed. Glad to hear that Mikkems have a nice option. I like the guys there and I feel I am paying sensible money for a good product and not a whole lot extra for someone to market the heck out of their product which is by no means superior.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post: