Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cost of Cape to Cairo

Hi guys,

So I obviously know this is a loaded question, and how long is a ball of string, but I was hoping to tap the limitless experience on this forum to get a pretty accurate ball park idea of doing a Cape to Cairo trip today. Full disclosure I am pitching the idea to a client and want to give them an idea of cost. I will obviously do a much deeper dive into this if there's a chance of it happening.

Costs:

Vehicle
    Essential equipment for car (tyres, rack, suspension, roof top tent, long range fuel and water, dual battery system, what else is truly essential?)
    Fuel and maintenance
    Cell phone/Sat phone contract
    Tolls/TIP/Carnet
    Vehicle, camera, and personal insurance
    Nightly camp site costs
    Park fees

I'm going to keep digging, and will report back here as I do, but any pointers or thoughts appreciated!

Tim Hulme
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/c/timhulme for my latest overlanding vlog!

2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Default Re: Cost of Cape to Cairo

Alot of planning to do...

Quick google search and a matchbox fuel calc:

All the best
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by TarzanWelman; 2021/07/22 at 11:58 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TarzanWelman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TarzanWelman View Post

All the best

That's actually not as bad as I thought. I mean obviously it's not 100% accurate but still that number is way lower than I expected.... let me go warm up the Landy quickly, see you guys in a few months
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

Quote Originally Posted by TarzanWelman View Post

All the best
    What vehicle that's up to doing that trip and on what I am assuming are often not the best roads will give a 13km/L fuel economy?

I would think max 10km/L would be a better baseline, probably worse if the vehicle used is an older 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    What vehicle that's up to doing that trip and on what I am assuming are often not the best roads will give a 13km/L fuel economy?

I would think max 10km/L would be a better baseline, probably worse if the vehicle used is an older 4x4.
    read that table again. Slowly.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

One of the most expensive items when travelling to Cairo:

• Carnet de Passage: Cannot enter Egypt without the Carnet, which must be in the name of the driver. Application forms can be downloaded here. The AA of SA will require a deposit / guarantee of 200% value of the vehicle. Egyptian Customs charge a fee for stamping the Carnet document and clearing can take up to one week. An Entry Permit is issued at the border (the fee is levied according to the engine capacity and it is valid for three months). Temporary Egyptian plates are affixed to every vehicle at the frontier post. A deposit for the plates is payable. Plates must be surrendered when the vehicle is exported from Egypt. Should you wish to have contact details of people in Egypt who assist with clearing, please contact the AA of SA’s Head Office on +27 (011) 799-1042 / 1009 for assistance

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post

• Carnet de Passage: Cannot enter Egypt without the Carnet, which must be in the name of the driver. Application forms can be downloaded here. The AA of SA will require a deposit / guarantee of 200% value of the vehicle. Egyptian Customs charge a fee for stamping the Carnet document and clearing can take up to one week. An Entry Permit is issued at the border (the fee is levied according to the engine capacity and it is valid for three months). Temporary Egyptian plates are affixed to every vehicle at the frontier post. A deposit for the plates is payable. Plates must be surrendered when the vehicle is exported from Egypt. Should you wish to have contact details of people in Egypt who assist with clearing, please contact the AA of SA’s Head Office on +27 (011) 799-1042 / 1009 for assistance
    So don't take a LC200 or a New Defender The older the better.

13L/100Km= 7.65km/L

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TarzanWelman For This Useful Post:

Budget on between 1,000 to 1,500 per couple per day, exclusive of the purchase price of the vehicle and major repairs.
    Last edited by RobH; 2021/07/22 at 02:34 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Hi Tim,
    As you said, a very big ball of string. You can do Cape to Cairo on tar almost all the way, or you can do it on dirt tracks for most of the way. Duration of journey is key information, as is how many national parks and in which countries they are. Type of accommodation, number of people involved etc all have to be factored in.
    Then there needs to be a substantial cash reserve buffer built in for emergencies.
    With all the equipment in hand already, we budget between R500 and R1,000 a day for a family of four for overland trips outside of South Africa's borders.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dewald Posthumus View Post

Is this 100% unavoidable? It may well be a Cape to the border of Egypt and a taxi the rest of the way in this case!

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Hi Tim,
    As you said, a very big ball of string. You can do Cape to Cairo on tar almost all the way, or you can do it on dirt tracks for most of the way. Duration of journey is key information, as is how many national parks and in which countries they are. Type of accommodation, number of people involved etc all have to be factored in.
    Then there needs to be a substantial cash reserve buffer built in for emergencies.
    With all the equipment in hand already, we budget between R500 and R1,000 a day for a family of four for overland trips outside of South Africa's borders.
    Thanks Tony! That sort of daily budget is the start point I am looking for. Would that include the occasional national park?

As for the rest, we would want to do as many national parks as possible, but also happy to camp on the edges and day trip in.

I'm trying to figure out a reasonable rate for food and fuel and all the odds and ends, and then work out specific parks, and park fees we would want to include.

2 people in a paid off vehicle that is already pretty kitted out would be our starting point.

How long is reasonable? I would imagine less than 4 months would be unpleasant. 6? Is a year needed?

My homework tonight will be going through any trans Africa trip reports on here!

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

"My homework tonight will be going through any trans Africa trip reports on here"

then there is only one definitive report

and that is the slow donkey by stan

the rest are opinion - with the odd fact thrown in

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RossJ For This Useful Post:

A Conquest?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    Is this 100% unavoidable? It may well be a Cape to the border of Egypt and a taxi the rest of the way in this case!
    Taxis are cheap in Egypt...

Best is to phone the AA and speak to them.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Dewald Posthumus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    How long is reasonable? I would imagine less than 4 months would be unpleasant. 6? Is a year needed?
    Four months would be a good minimum, but the longer you spend, the better. You really don't want to be rushing to keep to a schedule.
    Re the Egyptian carnet, bear in mind that that is a deposit that is refundable - it is a guarantee against you abandoning/selling the vehicle in-country. Many countries will accept a bank-guarantee letter that states you have the necessary funds on deposit, not sure if this applies in Egypt. If the end destination is in fact Europe and not Egypt, it is perfectly feasible to ship the vehicle around Egypt via Port Sudan and do the Egyptian leg on public transport. You will in any case need a carnet (albeit at a much lower rate) for East Africa.
    And yes, our budget includes national parks, although it has been a long while since we have done Tanzania and Kenya - the southern African countries are considerably cheaper, and most have SADC citizen rates. The figures I quoted are an average, and include fairly long periods when you won't spend a cent, as you are in remote areas.
    Tony Weaver

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

I would budget on somewhere between US$ 50-100 for two people per day whilst on the road via East Africa. This would include all the national parks and other expensive detours. Camping mostly.

Have a look at my Slow Donkey blog as in my signature section below.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Re the Egyptian carnet, bear in mind that that is a deposit that is refundable - it is a guarantee against you abandoning/selling the vehicle in-country. Many countries will accept a bank-guarantee letter that states you have the necessary funds on deposit, not sure if this applies in Egypt.
    If the carnet is officiated by AASA, would Egypt know whether you paid actual money to AASA or that there was a bank guaranteed letter? Would they not just see your approved and stamped carnet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    If the carnet is officiated by AASA, would Egypt know whether you paid actual money to AASA or that there was a bank guaranteed letter? Would they not just see your approved and stamped carnet?
    I'm not familiar with the Egyptian formalities as I haven't been that far north, Ethiopia is as far as we've been. In all the countries I have travelled, the carnet itself is the vehicle passport, not any other documentation.
    Tony Weaver

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    A good place to ask would be the Overlanding Africa group on Facebook. Lots of good info there.
    I believe for the carnet for Egypt the deposit is 200% of the vehicle value.

Attached is a pdf for Tips for Egypt version 6 from the FB group dated Jan 2020.

Just scroll through for the Carnet section
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by danielbme; 2021/07/22 at 07:22 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danielbme For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast