Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Cost of Cape to Cairo

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I'm not familiar with the Egyptian formalities as I haven't been that far north, Ethiopia is as far as we've been. In all the countries I have travelled, the carnet itself is the vehicle passport, not any other documentation.
    Hi, Allow plenty of time and vastly more mileage than you expect.

In 1974, I drove with 4 others in a Land Rover from London to Capetown. We travelled in a leisurely fashion, but from Morocco to Capetown took us 8 months. We took in lots of game parks, a week or two on the Kenyan coast, some fishing in Zambia, climbing Kilimanjaro, etc. When you are in these places, you have to do things as you will probably not be travelling that way again!

Our total mileage for the trip was a shade under 25,000 and our fuel consumption averaged over the whole trip was 17mpg. That was in a 2.3 litre petrol.

South Sudan would be the most challenging safety wise.

Good luck.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to geoff b For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hulme View Post
    Hi guys,

So I obviously know this is a loaded question, and how long is a ball of string, but I was hoping to tap the limitless experience on this forum to get a pretty accurate ball park idea of doing a Cape to Cairo trip today. Full disclosure I am pitching the idea to a client and want to give them an idea of cost. I will obviously do a much deeper dive into this if there's a chance of it happening.

Costs:

Vehicle
    Essential equipment for car (tyres, rack, suspension, roof top tent, long range fuel and water, dual battery system, what else is truly essential?)
    Fuel and maintenance
    Cell phone/Sat phone contract
    Tolls/TIP/Carnet
    Vehicle, camera, and personal insurance
    Nightly camp site costs
    Park fees

I'm going to keep digging, and will report back here as I do, but any pointers or thoughts appreciated!

Tim Hulme

Maybe this granny can advise you? https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/darin...ondon-15786840
    2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit CRD chased by a 2018 Buccaneer Cruiser twin axle caravan.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff b View Post
    Hi, Allow plenty of time and vastly more mileage than you expect.

In 1974, I drove with 4 others in a Land Rover from London to Capetown. We travelled in a leisurely fashion, but from Morocco to Capetown took us 8 months. We took in lots of game parks, a week or two on the Kenyan coast, some fishing in Zambia, climbing Kilimanjaro, etc. When you are in these places, you have to do things as you will probably not be travelling that way again!

Our total mileage for the trip was a shade under 25,000 and our fuel consumption averaged over the whole trip was 17mpg. That was in a 2.3 litre petrol.

South Sudan would be the most challenging safety wise.

Good luck.
    There were many benefits from doing such a great trip in 1974 when you were in your early 20s, Geoff B!

We didn’t mind being five people in a Land Rover, air-conditioning was unheard of, you ate what was available, you mended punctures with tyre levers and foot pumps, you navigated by compasses, maps and talking to locals.

No roof top tents, fridges, built-in water tanks, long-range fuel tanks, mobile or satellite phones, GPS, online forums, ATMs and banks. We went with maps, compasses, jerrycans of fuel, water jerrycans, spades, inner tubes, a few spares, tools, and a sense of adventure.

Also, climbing Kilimanjaro in one’s early 20s was a breeze! And the stories you will have dined-out on for the last 47 years. So many happy memories.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/07/26 at 05:46 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KenMc View Post
    Stan, we tried to use that back in January 2020 but were told that a) it was Northbound only and b) it was only used by trucks. Never met any overlanders that had used it but of course it may be different by now. Ferry was fun though, made a change from dusty roads.
    That is very interesting, Ken. I think you are talking about the short ferry across the Nile from near Abu Simbel - not the old ferry and barge-combo from Aswan to Wadi Halfa (which we took in 2013 and took us 18 hours on the passenger ferry and then we waited five days for our vehicle which was on a barge).

Here is what was posted on this forum a few years ago by Wicky Chicky about the - then - new crossing from near Abu Simbel. She says no “ferry” but they still had to cross the Nile at some stage.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-ferry-needed!

There are also other posts on both this forum and Horizons Unlimited about thr crossing of the Nile and the “exodus from Egypt”.

There are also very recent blog posts from 2020 of overlanders heading south. It does look as though many of us here on this forum are still somewhat confused as to where each short crossing is over the Nile. Neither of those short crossings over the Nile are the same as the old iconic ferry and barge-combo from Aswan. I wonder if it still exists?
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/07/28 at 12:51 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Some more dubious info for you. These are stats & experiences from two trips north, that last being Sudan to Johannesburg in 2017.

Cost per country $400
    Cost per kilometer $0,31
    Cost per day $143

It was my wife & I doing the trip in a Land Rover TD5, 50% camping, we drove the journey in 17 days with 3 layovers in Kampala, Northern Zambia & Maun Botswana.

We had a long range tank which was useful, but not essential (security & avoids having to buy fuel at dubious locations at exorbitant prices). We had no security issues, even with a DC with a canvas canopy, but we did stay in secure compounds in the more risky locations, especially in East Africa & South Sudan. The only accessories we had was a roof top tent & fridge. Camping is relatively expensive ($15-30pn) & less available north of Zambia & certainly Tanzania. Reasonable overnight accommodation is conversely not much more.

Don't attempt South Sudan without current, on the ground advise, the situation changes there very frequently (we lived in SS for 5 years). Don't be reticent to say you South African, emphasizing African, you will get much better deals & treatment than if they think you are foreign to Africa. Game Reserves are expensive, approx $150 pd per couple, particularly in Kenya & Uganda.

Vehicle permits & conditions are the big variable, fluctuating across countries. Bonding vehicles at borders & paying agents is time consuming & expensive, & means you have to use the main border crossings. A Carnet is much easier, especially in East Africa but not recognized at all borders in North Africa & has a large outlay. Vehicle expenses going north are higher than going south (returning to home country). If you use a Carnet, use the minor border crossings to avoid fractious border officials, congestion & chaos. Traffic & driving on the main routes is also much worse (police, trucks, deviations etc).

Buy SIM cards on the road. Once in Zambia get Airtel, it will work right through East Africa. Zain north of Uganda.

We had a credit card for convenience & backup, but mostly used USD cash secured in a safe place in the vehicle.

Enjoy it, its a great experience that I really enjoyed.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jeffu For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3