Default Amarok past 100k

I am looking at replacing my current vehicle with a double cab auto. SO the plaas passat is on my radar. How do these vehicles age? Typical VW? Anything specific to look out for an a 6 yr old, 115k vehicle?
    Wicus Diedericks

Default Re: Amarok past 100k

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    I am looking at replacing my current vehicle with a double cab auto. SO the plaas passat is on my radar. How do these vehicles age? Typical VW? Anything specific to look out for an a 6 yr old, 115k vehicle?
    My V6 is on 115 000 without major issues, i had my thermostat replaced and warranty, the 2.0l is a solid bakkie. Just check if cambelt have been replaced and check on the egr. And maybe change the gearbox oil at ZF if u can and make sure all services is up to date.

I had 2x 2.0 l before a manual and auto and had no issues. Good luck in searching

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    With the 2lt just make sure of the service history, check when cambelt was replaced, and if the waterpump was replaced at the same time? If not done, get it done ASAP. I would also have the EGR removed and while you at it take the cat out and you should be good.

The ZF auto boxes are really good, dealerships don't service them, however well worth taking it to ZF themselves and giving it a service.

Sort those few things out and you should have a vehicle that is pretty bullet proof.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

Well Hein and I basically gave the same response. I think that says something in itself
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

Mine is a 2013, on 142k km. Bought it in 2017 with 23k km. It has had its share of niggles, including the famous EGR water leak, independently-minded A/C, and door lock issues, but on the whole, I get in, turn the key, and it goes. I was going to replace it at 100k km, but decided to keep it a while longer.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

Mines a 2013 with 185k on the clock. Replaced the little auxiliary water pump. Cheap and took 5 mins. Standard cambelt and water pump replacement at 120k. Only hassle I've had is the door locks. My BIL has a 2012 with 385k on it. Replaced fuel pump and injectors at about 320k. Otherwise hassle free. Still looks and drives like a new one.
    2013 Amarok 132kw DC 4x4 Manual (Current)
    2013 VW T5 Transporter Crewbus 132kw manual 4Motion (Swambo)
    2013 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Sold)
    2000 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4 (Sold)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer Doug For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    With the 2lt just make sure of the service history, check when cambelt was replaced, and if the waterpump was replaced at the same time? If not done, get it done ASAP. I would also have the EGR removed and while you at it take the cat out and you should be good.

The ZF auto boxes are really good, dealerships don't service them, however well worth taking it to ZF themselves and giving it a service.

Sort those few things out and you should have a vehicle that is pretty bullet proof.
    This!

Mine's a 2015 on 136k.... and I love it
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

2013 manual on 320 000km. The normal wear items. Shocks, brakes, tyres, egr diff lock sensor. 2015 auto 155 000km. Shocks, brakes and tyres. Nothing majors.
    Last edited by Erwin Schimper; 2021/07/17 at 08:28 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:

Also 2013 manual on 310k km. EGR removal done. Only abnormal was 1 rear wheel and 1 front wheel bearing replaced as well as turbo hot side boost hose. Done by a trusted Indie. Parts ex bearing man and goldwagen. Was not expensive. Go for it.

Groetnis

Koos

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Mine tricked over 320k km on the way to Durban last week. 90Kw Manual. I ran into some issues, but I think like most things second hand it depends on how it was looked after. I have mine at a VW indi in Westville at the moment, as it started getting hot towing a small trailer up to Hillcrest. I think it is toast, but he is pretty convinced that it is just a plastic widget in the cooling system.

I shall probably hear this week. I shall have to sell it now as I needed a tow vehicle at short notice, but mine will be a good one to get as it is very well maintained. At 100k I donít think you have anything to worry about.

Hey guys - any advice on a KZN based expert to do EGR removal / blanking and indication of price?
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

Hi Stephen

I hope you are wrong and the indy is right.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Mine tricked over 320k km on the way to Durban last week. 90Kw Manual. I ran into some issues, but I think like most things second hand it depends on how it was looked after. I have mine at a VW indi in Westville at the moment, as it started getting hot towing a small trailer up to Hillcrest. I think it is toast, but he is pretty convinced that it is just a plastic widget in the cooling system.

I shall probably hear this week. I shall have to sell it now as I needed a tow vehicle at short notice, but mine will be a good one to get as it is very well maintained. At 100k I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by idea40; 2021/07/26 at 06:29 PM.