Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,823
    Thanked: 387

    Default Amarok past 100k

    I am looking at replacing my current vehicle with a double cab auto. SO the plaas passat is on my radar. How do these vehicles age? Typical VW? Anything specific to look out for an a 6 yr old, 115k vehicle?
    Wicus Diedericks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    otjiwarongo
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,294
    Thanked: 272

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    I am looking at replacing my current vehicle with a double cab auto. SO the plaas passat is on my radar. How do these vehicles age? Typical VW? Anything specific to look out for an a 6 yr old, 115k vehicle?
    My V6 is on 115 000 without major issues, i had my thermostat replaced and warranty, the 2.0l is a solid bakkie. Just check if cambelt have been replaced and check on the egr. And maybe change the gearbox oil at ZF if u can and make sure all services is up to date.

    I had 2x 2.0 l before a manual and auto and had no issues. Good luck in searching


    2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

  3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    34
    Posts
    329
    Thanked: 366

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    I am looking at replacing my current vehicle with a double cab auto. SO the plaas passat is on my radar. How do these vehicles age? Typical VW? Anything specific to look out for an a 6 yr old, 115k vehicle?
    With the 2lt just make sure of the service history, check when cambelt was replaced, and if the waterpump was replaced at the same time? If not done, get it done ASAP. I would also have the EGR removed and while you at it take the cat out and you should be good.

    The ZF auto boxes are really good, dealerships don't service them, however well worth taking it to ZF themselves and giving it a service.


    Sort those few things out and you should have a vehicle that is pretty bullet proof.
    Mike

    Out in the bush!

    2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    White River
    Age
    34
    Posts
    329
    Thanked: 366

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Well Hein and I basically gave the same response. I think that says something in itself
    Mike

    Out in the bush!

    2012 Amarok with a transfer case
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1,604
    Thanked: 409

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Mine is a 2013, on 142k km. Bought it in 2017 with 23k km. It has had its share of niggles, including the famous EGR water leak, independently-minded A/C, and door lock issues, but on the whole, I get in, turn the key, and it goes. I was going to replace it at 100k km, but decided to keep it a while longer.

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    38
    Posts
    146
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Mines a 2013 with 185k on the clock. Replaced the little auxiliary water pump. Cheap and took 5 mins. Standard cambelt and water pump replacement at 120k. Only hassle I've had is the door locks. My BIL has a 2012 with 385k on it. Replaced fuel pump and injectors at about 320k. Otherwise hassle free. Still looks and drives like a new one.
    2013 Amarok 132kw DC 4x4 Manual (Current)
    2013 VW T5 Transporter Crewbus 132kw manual 4Motion (Swambo)
    2013 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T (Sold)
    2000 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8TDI DC 4x4 (Sold)

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmer Doug For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Melkbosstrand
    Age
    45
    Posts
    941
    Thanked: 275

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    With the 2lt just make sure of the service history, check when cambelt was replaced, and if the waterpump was replaced at the same time? If not done, get it done ASAP. I would also have the EGR removed and while you at it take the cat out and you should be good.

    The ZF auto boxes are really good, dealerships don't service them, however well worth taking it to ZF themselves and giving it a service.


    Sort those few things out and you should have a vehicle that is pretty bullet proof.
    This!

    Mine's a 2015 on 136k.... and I love it
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Okahandja
    Age
    56
    Posts
    1,232
    Thanked: 1030

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    2013 manual on 320 000km. The normal wear items. Shocks, brakes, tyres, egr diff lock sensor. 2015 auto 155 000km. Shocks, brakes and tyres. Nothing majors.
    Last edited by Erwin Schimper; 2021/07/17 at 08:28 AM.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erwin Schimper For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Northern KZN
    Age
    54
    Posts
    533
    Thanked: 336

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Also 2013 manual on 310k km. EGR removal done. Only abnormal was 1 rear wheel and 1 front wheel bearing replaced as well as turbo hot side boost hose. Done by a trusted Indie. Parts ex bearing man and goldwagen. Was not expensive. Go for it.

    Groetnis

    Koos

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:


  15. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,658
    Thanked: 2308

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Mine tricked over 320k km on the way to Durban last week. 90Kw Manual. I ran into some issues, but I think like most things second hand it depends on how it was looked after. I have mine at a VW indi in Westville at the moment, as it started getting hot towing a small trailer up to Hillcrest. I think it is toast, but he is pretty convinced that it is just a plastic widget in the cooling system.

    I shall probably hear this week. I shall have to sell it now as I needed a tow vehicle at short notice, but mine will be a good one to get as it is very well maintained. At 100k I donít think you have anything to worry about.

  16. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    36
    Posts
    2,349
    Thanked: 156

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Hey guys - any advice on a KZN based expert to do EGR removal / blanking and indication of price?
    Andrew

    2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    375
    Thanked: 72

    Default Re: Amarok past 100k

    Hi Stephen

    I hope you are wrong and the indy is right.



    Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Mine tricked over 320k km on the way to Durban last week. 90Kw Manual. I ran into some issues, but I think like most things second hand it depends on how it was looked after. I have mine at a VW indi in Westville at the moment, as it started getting hot towing a small trailer up to Hillcrest. I think it is toast, but he is pretty convinced that it is just a plastic widget in the cooling system.

    I shall probably hear this week. I shall have to sell it now as I needed a tow vehicle at short notice, but mine will be a good one to get as it is very well maintained. At 100k I don’t think you have anything to worry about.
    Last edited by idea40; 2021/07/26 at 06:29 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •