Default Eelectrical Winch

I have relocated to the W Cape and are about to buy a house. The problem that I have is that the drive way is a bit steep. I would prefer not to reverse the van into the caravan port , but rather pull it with a winch . Am looking for something that can pull 2T with ease at a incline please .I only have a vibrcrete wall at th back of the port , but was thinking maybe I could sling it around one of the poles. Will it be strong enough ? Any advice where I can get one or should I use a 12V system.

Thks,

Johan
    You have only 1 life MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES !!

Default Re: Eelectrical Winch

adendorf sells simple winches or gumtree etc

but please dont try use a pre cast concrete pillar / post

2 tonne is a lot of weight and your biggest risk here is your attachment point coming loose, dig a big deep hole, fill it with a lot of concrete and scrap steel and then have an attachment point on that at the same height as the attachment point on the caravan

or just reverse it in, a few hours of practice will save you a lot and reduce your risk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3bar For This Useful Post:

I made a hitch at the front of my vehicle as I have a tricky set up to park my caravan.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

3BAR is correct, a precast column would not handle that unless it is heavily concreted and without being sure, you could pull the wall over or even break the column.

I would say a decent piece of rebar in concrete would be better as an anchor.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by JohanFP View Post
    I have relocated to the W Cape and are about to buy a house. The problem that I have is that the drive way is a bit steep. I would prefer not to reverse the van into the caravan port , but rather pull it with a winch . Am looking for something that can pull 2T with ease at a incline please .I only have a vibrcrete wall at th back of the port , but was thinking maybe I could sling it around one of the poles. Will it be strong enough ? Any advice where I can get one or should I use a 12V system.

Thks,

Johan
    I have a winch and mounting bracket for you. It was to pull my boat trailer into a garage with a steep driveway but I never got round to fitting it and just reverse the boat in. I can send you pics next week Tuesday when i'm back at the house and you can see if it will work for you. PM me your details if you interested.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I have a winch and mounting bracket for you. It was to pull my boat trailer into a garage with a steep driveway but I never got round to fitting it and just reverse the boat in. I can send you pics next week Tuesday when i'm back at the house and you can see if it will work for you. PM me your details if you interested.
    Cast a foundation block with top flush with the floor with a steel rod looped in the block to attach the winch. Store the winch in the garage when not in use.

You do not mention your tow vehicle type. When using it then always in low range to protect the clutch.
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2021/07/28 at 12:53 PM.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

I would fit a tow bar to the front of the vehicle and push it into place. I push my ski boat into our driveway at my place in Hillcrest. Boat is 2150kgs on trailer. I have to drive it up the complex, unhitch, and turn the car around. Put it onto the front tow hitch. Then push back, up very steep driveway, then hang a 90degree right down steep driveway and another 90degree turn into parking spot. I do all this in first gear high range in my amarok.

I am almost 100% sure this will be easier than what you are proposing.