Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: National Luna 12v Split Charger System

Here's some more info about solenoid vs smart charging from National Luna.
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

2. The Following User Says Thank You to slodj For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by slodj View Post
    Here's some more info about solenoid vs smart charging from National Luna.
    Very informative. So no rushing out to buy a DC-DC if not required. Infact imho a larger gauge wire off a solinoid is basically all you need or am I wrong again.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I woke up this morning and Cruiser is completely dead? Had to jump start.

Not sure why but could the NL system be draining the battery even when ignition is off? Never had this issue with the CTek unit.

Fridge was running off the Aux battery as we are testing the system before our trip. Aux Battery was connected overnight (as it has been with the CTek unit for the last few years)

NL solenoid should only connect while the alternator is running. Something else is wrong.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/07/21 at 12:02 PM.
    Johan Kriel

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    NL solenoid should only connect while the alternator is running. Something else is wrong.
    That was my understanding as well? Time for fault finding...........

Check your "trigger"wire that is responsible for the opening and closing of the solenoid. The trigger wire should only receive power once the vehicle is turned on. If there is constant power the solenoid will remain open and your fridge will draw power from your auxiliary as well as cranking battery.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coetzer94 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by coetzer94 View Post
    Check your "trigger"wire that is responsible for the opening and closing of the solenoid. The trigger wire should only receive power once the vehicle is turned on. If there is constant power the solenoid will remain open and your fridge will draw power from your auxiliary as well as cranking battery.
    Yes, but the trigger wire should come from the PC board which only activated the solenoid after 5 minutes if the Volts is high enough, if the alternator is running, unless the PC is bypassed, and the trigger wire is connected to ACC somewhere.
    Johan Kriel

Yes, but the trigger wire should come from the PC board which only activated the solenoid after 5 minutes if the Volts is high enough, if the alternator is running, unless the PC is bypassed, and the trigger wire is connected to ACC somewhere.
    I assume the trigger wire is the little black wire coming out of the box. This was connected directly to the negative battery terminal. That I believe is incorrect and it should be on an acc thatís live when the engine is running?

Quote Originally Posted by David Gale View Post
    I assume the trigger wire is the little black wire coming out of the box. This was connected directly to the negative battery terminal.
    That is correct. The PC box gets is power from start battery terminal on the solenoid, and from the PC board is a red wire to the solenoid that activates the solenoid.

Check the start battery terminals if there is not an issue. Or how is the battery cables connected to the solenoid, could there be an issue, or check the start battery itself?

Check also if the solenoid disconnects once you switch off the vehicle. You should be able to hear it disconnecting, if close enough. There is an LED on the box that will indicate if its connected, or not, also.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/07/21 at 06:50 PM.
    Johan Kriel

I assume the trigger wire is the little black wire coming out of the box. This was connected directly to the negative battery terminal. That I believe is incorrect and it should be on an acc thatís live when the engine is running?
    So is my thought correct. You can wire the solinoid through a switch so that you can start charging the auxiliary battery later on into the journey ie giving time for the crank battery to fully charge up or if crank battery is flat, one can switch over to the auxiliary battery to jump start it.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

The no 4 is the wire you connect to the neg on the main battery. The monitor plugs in to the solenoid. this you can use to override the time of the sol. Usefull if main battery is dead. Then you can use the axillary battery to start the vehicle but if it is activated then the sol remains close and both batteries connected and then you can drain both batteries. The sol only closes after 5min from start of the vehicle. You can check it. You should hear a click. You can also see it on the monitor. The volts of the axillary battery will increase once the sol close. The sol is in a normaly open state and close to give current to the axillary battery. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images_featured_707590d2008a8e80f15b39c1bedd85e7_XL.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	623745

Why have a 100A fuse feeding solinoid input and 100 Amp fuse feeding Auxiliary battery. Surly one 100Amp fuse is enough as both are in series to auxiliary battery.
    215/80/R15c tyres
    GPS,Bluetooth
    snorkel soon
    Craig

National luna specs

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    So is my thought correct. You can wire the solinoid through a switch so that you can start charging the auxiliary battery later on into the journey ie giving time for the crank battery to fully charge up or if crank battery is flat, one can switch over to the auxiliary battery to jump start it.

As Erwin says there is an override on the LED monitors that can do that, but 16mm2 wire might be too thin for that that?

As far s I remember the PC box switch the black wire on and off. So you can manually control the solenoid with just an earth wire.
    Johan Kriel

18. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    The no 4 is the wire you connect to the neg on the main battery. The monitor plugs in to the solenoid. this you can use to override the time of the sol. Usefull if main battery is dead. Then you can use the axillary battery to start the vehicle but if it is activated then the sol remains close and both batteries connected and then you can drain both batteries. The sol only closes after 5min from start of the vehicle. You can check it. You should hear a click. You can also see it on the monitor. The volts of the axillary battery will increase once the sol close. The sol is in a normaly open state and close to give current to the axillary battery. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images_featured_707590d2008a8e80f15b39c1bedd85e7_XL.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	41.8 KB 
ID:	623745
    So I have checked all the wiring and it is 100% as per the diagram (NL) The cabling running from the solenoid to the NL battery box is also correct. The NL battery box is fairly new so all should be 100% in there but i need to understand what the Isolator switch actually does. Does it Isolate the Aux battery from the Main car batteries or does it isolate the power outputs on the Aux Battery box?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-22 at 07.18.53.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	623763

in there but i need to understand what the Isolator switch actually does. Does it Isolate the Aux battery from the Main car batteries or does it isolate the power outputs on the Aux Battery box?
    They dont say on their spec sheets. But switch it off and see what it does.

If the solenoid works perfect than either the main battery is on its way out or the terminals on the battery might be loose.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/07/22 at 01:23 PM.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    This is exactly the way I am doing it. I use only a Cole Hersee solenoid with an illuminated DC switch on the dash. And I use it this way for some other reasons as well.

Works best for my auxiliary power setup on the moment.
    Lourens Goosen

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:

As Erwin says there is an override on the LED monitors that can do that, but 16mm2 wire might be too thin for that that?
    It is not just the normal Dual Battery Monitor but actually the National Luna Dual Battery CONTROLER.

It looks identical to the Dual battery monitor, but with an extra button to override the solenoid's sirkut board remotely from the controller.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2021/07/22 at 06:13 PM.
    Lourens Goosen

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viertrek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    It is not just the normal Dual Battery Monitor but actually the National Luna Dual Battery CONTROLER.

It looks identical to the Dual battery monitor, but with an extra button to override the solenoid's sirkut board remotely from the controller.
    Correct, thought it was part of the kit.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    This is exactly the way I am doing it. I use only a Cole Hersee solenoid with an illuminated DC switch on the dash. And I use it this way for some other reasons as well.

Works best for my auxiliary power setup on the moment.
    Eish but if you forget to flip the switch back to off once you've reached your destination and keep on forgetting about it for a day or 3....
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast