Default Dry mechanisms and other sun damage

Hope this is in the right section on the forum.

I am starting to have a few issues on my old Hardbody that I am not sure how to attack. Caused by heat and dry very dusty conditions. Door locking and electric window mechanisms is getting very tight. Windows struggle to move, locking mechanism wants to break my key off. I stripped the doors and attempted some cleaning and lubrication which worked great for around two weeks before the dust obviously started adhering to anything oily in the systems. A month on and its worse than ever. I only need to lock my car every two weeks when I go to town, but I feel like I'm about to break the key off.

Heat has also caused a major problem. My car stands with windows open day and night to try and keep the temps moderate inside, but with a few days hitting 45deg out here, my door cards/panels have started melting and returning to there original shape, which is flat and straight. Besides rattles abound, things dont move as they should through orifices that no longer line up.

How do you guys deal with these problems, or do I just drive a rubbish car?
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

Default Re: Dry mechanisms and other sun damage

I think your Sani is leaking dust at a lot of places. Obviously the rubbers wil be old and hard by now and happens to all rubbers/ vehicles, expensive and cheap. A way of lubricating could be to clean all the old sticky stuff off and then use a dry lubricant. I have an rattle can graphite dry lubricant. It goes on like paint and dries off to form a dry surface coating. Or you can use graphite powder. I recently stripped my mur for keys that struggle as well as 3 point plugs that struggle to enter the sockets. A puff of graphite powder in every orifice and it became so smooth as (not on a public forum).
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Thanks, I'll see what I can find in this town... I have a strip down scheduled for tomorrow as I have a spot I can work where the wind and sand can't bother me.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

Is it really that hot there? I have never heard of plastic melting in SA. Not even in Upington or anywhere else in the Northern Cape.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

I have owned 3 Nissan Hardbodies. Very reliable mechanical but must have the have the worst interior of any vehicle I have ever owned.

Past 10 years of age it is a constant battle to keep the interior from falling apart.

Door panels need to be fixed with washers and self tapping screws.
    Did not know how many times the electric windows acted up. Repaired and replaced those switches numerous times. Biggest problem on windows that became sticky were worn out guides.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I had the same model Sani as David. I sold it because the thing was falling apart.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I like to use spray moly lube CRC 3084 or Dow Corning/Molykote 321

David Vierra
    21 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 3.5L M/T
    52 Beech Bonanza

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    I think your Sani is leaking dust at a lot of places. Obviously the rubbers wil be old and hard by now and happens to all rubbers/ vehicles, expensive and cheap. A way of lubricating could be to clean all the old sticky stuff off and then use a dry lubricant. I have an rattle can graphite dry lubricant. It goes on like paint and dries off to form a dry surface coating. Or you can use graphite powder. I recently stripped my mur for keys that struggle as well as 3 point plugs that struggle to enter the sockets. A puff of graphite powder in every orifice and it became so smooth as (not on a public forum).
    This is not only a problem with Sani. My old Suuz has very similar problems - at age 23 years I guess to be expected.
    I am very interested to hear where you found graphite.
    That is the right thing.
    I have been using Q20, even on window guides, not only locks. Works for a short while as OP stated. (Works on padlocks too, by the way. - But DUST, Ja, well.)
    I have tried electronic cleaning spray for switches and circuit boards with limited success and have ended up by-passing the OEM switches in some cases to a simple toggle switch (driver's window) , but now the toggle switch is displaying the same issues.
    Then there are the window winder motors ......
    Solution: Win the lotto ?
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Solution is to strip the vehicle and replace all rubbers and runners and rebuild locks and hinges. In other words: not viable.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Sani was aftermarket window winders and central locking. So nothing more than those Autostyle kits that slip over the window winder shaft. Central locking actuators are the same deal, and all five have no rubber protection left on the shafts. They perished to nothing more than a few rubber rings hanging on the shafts.

I struggle with how the stiff the windows are getting. Now in winter I also need to do a proper wash just to stop the mud grinding sound of the glass against the rollers/guides.

Sani was washed Friday afternoon because my wife was complaining she could not get in and out without getting her clothes full of mud and dust.

One trip to town doing the 14km gravel/mud road at nothing above 2nd gear both ways, and this is the result. It actually looks good now compared to when I am in a bit more of a hurry. Usually you can't even see through the windows.

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    Sani was aftermarket window winders and central locking. So nothing more than those Autostyle kits that slip over the window winder shaft. Central locking actuators are the same deal, and all five have no rubber protection left on the shafts. They perished to nothing more than a few rubber rings hanging on the shafts.

I struggle with how the stiff the windows are getting. Now in winter I also need to do a proper wash just to stop the mud grinding sound of the glass against the rollers/guides.

Sani was washed Friday afternoon because my wife was complaining she could not get in and out without getting her clothes full of mud and dust.

One trip to town doing the 14km gravel/mud road at nothing above 2nd gear both ways, and this is the result. It actually looks good now compared to when I am in a bit more of a hurry. Usually you can't even see through the windows.
    I thought that was how a 4x4 was supposed to look !
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.

Here is my heat problem.

Not sure if you can see how the door card has straightened out where it should be wrapping around the door frame and pushing against the window from inside. With it like this, the window can now wrattle. Even fully closed or open. I took to it with a heat gun twice now. First time it lasted about 3 days till the car stood in temps that went over 40. Second time it lasted a few weeks, just to do the same when temps went to high.

At 40deg air temp, surface temp of the sand goes over 65. Thats fairly much a white surface, so who knows where a dark surface like this will get to. I really don't see any solution for this besides building new door cards from something that can't melt. Passenger door is very bad, driver door getting there as I have been trying to park in such a way to keep the left side of the car facing south. Now my door is starting, along with my steering wheel that is also showing signs of abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I thought that was how a 4x4 was supposed to look !
    At least we only have the mud problem for around three months in a year. This year has actually been fairly dry. I dont think we have seen more than 30mm so far. Last year we had to go do special maintenance on our road to push down the grader piles on the side left by the monkeypality grader, as we had one 14km long water crossing to get to the tar road. We lost a few cars where people thought they could get in here. Only 4x4 we lost was a Cherokee that cooked its auto box on the road. Guess there is some cooler that got blocked.

This does proove that mid is not your friend. I have had to strip drum brakes to clean out. I see I have developed a small oil leak on my gearbox output where you can see how the mud and sand is sitting in sensitive places. Today I have to see if I can find where a small stone has got in so as to create a rattle sound when driving. Possibly a drum brake again, or the drum on the handbrake.

All good fun when the place you have to work is what you see in that photo. The sand whips up here when your neighbour had too many baked beans last night, so its a nightmare. Even just doing something as simple as an oil change can turn nasty.

Dust is also a bugger.
    Some years back I was stuck alongside a very good gravel road in Eastern Namibia, north of Mata Mata and had to take the tappet cover off with the locals speeding past at 100 Kph +.
    Ambient was also around 42 deg C or so.
    Peter Hutchison

Uncle Peter, look at the hardware stores for graphite powder. At locks section.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post: