Default Crossing Tanzania fm North to South

hello fellow travelers ,

Reading lots of threads on this platform about Tanzania and Zambia I must warmly thank all people contributed so far. Especially Stan, Wazungu, Neil, Tony and others. Now time has come that I share my plans with U and ask some help.
    Plan is buying preferably a Toyota Landcruiser V8 in Kampala and hit the road towards Tanzania following Zambia and on…
    Crossing into Tanzania my first aim is Mgombani Campsite at Lake Manyara. If possible catching ferry to Mwanza. I doubt there is a route along lakes so I will have to take T8+T14. Next stop is Trangaerine NP. Any advise for camping? Kindly note this trip has limited budget ( around 50-75 $/day) so we avoid Serengeti, Nrongoro etc. (I’ve been to Masai Mara anyway).

Will continue towards south, via Dodoma to Ruaha NP. Any advise, Maji Moto Campsite?

Towards west to Udzungwa Forest Camp ( is it same as Honda Honda Camp?) Here I need to make a decision; I’d like to spend time in Selous GR ( or NP now). But I heard it’s expensive and needs a detour as I shall continue towards west to Mbeya and Lakeshire Lodge at Tanganyika. What is yr advise ?

This is roughly my route. Now I need some help how I should divide this route, any other spot, route to follow, where to enter the mentioned Parks?..
    I know it is tons of questions, sorry. I have some ideas but I am really confused and need help.
    I have driven 4x4 in other parts of the world. ( actually I’m going RTW) but not in Africa. I did travel in Africa but backpacking. We are two, a couple enjoying all kinds of nature, routes, wildlife rather then arriving destinations. Not time conscious really.
    I shall post Zambia part on relevant page. Thanks in advance to all. Love & Peace

Default Re: Crossing Tanzania fm North to South

Udzungwa Forest Camp is don the road rom our office at Kilombero. Do you want to stay at an affordable place outside Selous ?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Pierreo For This Useful Post:

I recommend Panorama Safari Camp in Mto Wa Mbu for Lake Manyara, Tarangire and Ngorongoro as well. Due to Covid we were able to negotiate their igloos for the price of camping. The same goes for Hondo Hondo (Udzungwa). The desk price of their permanents tents is ridiculously set around 100$, we negotiated again for about 20$. Just in Ruaha NP we camped inside NP (30$ pppn) to use up their 24h policy. Also in Ritungu Camp (for Mikumi NP) we got huge discount for their huts. We camped only in Tan Swiss Lodge (for Mikumi) to enjoy their nice swimming pool. January 2021.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by edip View Post
    hello fellow travelers ,

Reading lots of threads on this platform about Tanzania and Zambia I must warmly thank all people contributed so far. Especially Stan, Wazungu, Neil, Tony and others. Now time has come that I share my plans with U and ask some help.
    Plan is buying preferably a Toyota Landcruiser V8 in Kampala and hit the road towards Tanzania following Zambia and on…
    Crossing into Tanzania my first aim is Mgombani Campsite at Lake Manyara. If possible catching ferry to Mwanza. I doubt there is a route along lakes so I will have to take T8+T14. Next stop is Trangaerine NP. Any advise for camping? There are a few budget camps outside the northern park gate. Inside the park the public campsite is nice, but you will exceed your budget in any of the Tanzanian parks. Kindly note this trip has limited budget ( around 50-75 $/day) so we avoid Serengeti, Nrongoro etc. (I’ve been to Masai Mara anyway).

Will continue towards south, via Dodoma to Ruaha NP. Any advise, Maji Moto Campsite?

Towards west to Udzungwa Forest Camp ( is it same as Honda Honda Camp?) Here I need to make a decision; I’d like to spend time in Selous GR ( or NP now). But I heard it’s expensive and needs a detour as I shall continue towards west to Mbeya and Lakeshire Lodge at Tanganyika. What is yr advise ?

This is roughly my route. Now I need some help how I should divide this route, any other spot, route to follow, where to enter the mentioned Parks?..
    I know it is tons of questions, sorry. I have some ideas but I am really confused and need help.
    I have driven 4x4 in other parts of the world. ( actually I’m going RTW) but not in Africa. I did travel in Africa but backpacking. We are two, a couple enjoying all kinds of nature, routes, wildlife rather then arriving destinations. Not time conscious really.
    I shall post Zambia part on relevant page. Thanks in advance to all. Love & Peace
    A note above in red. Otherwise, if you don't have it already get ioverlander for your smartphone to find places to camp, and also tracks4africa on a garmin GPS will be invaluable. The Maps.me phone app also works well in East Africa for offline navigation. This will help you with your routing hopefully.

It's hard to advise on specific camps from your post, there is a whole country of wonderful places to stop. You'll find Tanzanian parks quite expensive, so you may have to pick and chose your priorities.

The Mwanza Yacht Club is a nice place to camp if you make it to Mwanza. You've already identified Lakeshore Lodge, also a standout. The navigation apps will help with identifying the main park entrance gates, typically the gate closest to whatever the largest near by town is.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing more about your trip.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Welcome to the forum, edip. Karibuni!

I am rather confused why you are thinking of buying a vehicle in Uganda in order to visit Tanzania. I also have very many other questions as to how you will be able to buy and register a vehicle in Uganda (or any of the other East African countries) when you are not resident in Uganda. I caution you that it is a long and difficult thing to do even if you have residency and a work permit.

Putting those two questions aside - for now. There is so much to do and see in both Uganda and Tanzania. I also caution you that it will be very difficult to keep to your budget per day - particularly in Tanzania when you wish to visit national parks and reserves as a non-resident and with a foreign vehicle.

I am perplexed as to how Lake Manyara will be your first aim when coming from Kampala. There is no vehicle ferry from Uganda to Mwanza, Tanzania. There is a short ferry crossing across the Mwanza Gulf which is where the main road goes round the south side of Lake Victoria. All roads in East Africa go by A, B or C road numbers and I wonder where you got the road numbers T8 and T14?

If you can give some more detailed information, then, of course, many of us on the forum will be more than happy to help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    All roads in East Africa go by A, B or C road numbers and I wonder where you got the road numbers T8 and T14?
    Interesting. On T4A and on openstreet maps I do see a bunch of roads marked with "T" when viewed on basecamp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.42.22 PM.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	623254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.42.05 PM.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	623255

Quote Originally Posted by CalDriver View Post
    Interesting. On T4A and on openstreet maps I do see a bunch of roads marked with "T" when viewed on basecamp.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.42.22 PM.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	623254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.42.05 PM.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	388.0 KB 
ID:	623255
    Ah. I see what you mean. My paper maps show A, B or C roads. My error.

Welcome to the forum, edip. Karibuni!

I am rather confused why you are thinking of buying a vehicle in Uganda in order to visit Tanzania. I also have very many other questions as to how you will be able to buy and register a vehicle in Uganda (or any of the other East African countries) when you are not resident in Uganda. I caution you that it is a long and difficult thing to do even if you have residency and a work permit. I checked that when I was traveling in Kampala just before Covid. U get a tax number and simply buy as non-resident. Well I traveled Fm Egypt to Uganda by all kinds of vehicles but realized the spots I wanna spend time requires owned vehicle.

Putting those two questions aside - for now. There is so much to do and see in both Uganda and Tanzania. I also caution you that it will be very difficult to keep to your budget per day - particularly in Tanzania when you wish to visit national parks and reserves as a non-resident and with a foreign vehicle.

I am perplexed as to how Lake Manyara will be your first aim when coming from Kampala. There is no vehicle ferry from Uganda to Mwanza, Tanzania. There is a short ferry crossing across the Mwanza Gulf which is where the main road goes round the south side of Lake Victoria. All roads in East Africa go by A, B or C road numbers and I wonder where you got the road numbers T8 and T14?​ As far as I know there is a ferry fm Kemondo (SW cost of Victoria) to Mwanza. If not We'll drive. U have another suggestion for the route ? AS said Basecamp gives that numbers ?..

If you can give some more detailed information, then, of course, many of us on the forum will be more than happy to help.
    ​ Some advises needed
    ‹-- Between Mwanza (with or without ferry) and Trangire NP where to stop, camp or relax?
    --- Same question goes for Kampala- Mwanza drive. They are long distances.
    --- road to Selous goes th. Dodoma, Morogoro,Mvuha, Dutumi, Selous. (morogoro-selious 5h/150km) right ?
    --- I need a road fm Selious (River Camp) to Hondo Hondo Camp (Udzungwa). There seems a road along park border but is it usable. Else is a detour th Morogoro isn't it?
    --- Fm RuahaNP to Igowa is a shorter road other then A104. Is it good?

--- All the way fm Ruaha to Lakeshore Lodge is a looong way. Any spot to visit, camp ?

Again thanks in thanks in advance
    Edip
    Last edited by edip; 2021/07/19 at 07:24 AM.

​ Some advises needed
    ‹-- Between Mwanza (with or without ferry) and Trangire NP where to stop, camp or relax? I searched and nothing came up, which doesn't mean there isn't anything, but you may be paving your own way a bit. Lake Eyasi I believe has some budget camps, but by then you'll almost be there
    --- Same question goes for Kampala- Mwanza drive. They are long distances. In Basecamp center Kampala and Mwanza on the map and type "camp" in the search bar and a whole host of choices will come up for you.
    --- road to Selous goes th. Dodoma, Morogoro,Mvuha, Dutumi, Selous. (morogoro-selious 5h/150km) right ?
    --- I need a road fm Selious (River Camp) to Hondo Hondo Camp (Udzungwa). There seems a road along park border but is it usable. Else is a detour th Morogoro isn't it?
    --- Fm RuahaNP to Igowa is a shorter road other then A104. Is it good?

--- All the way fm Ruaha to Lakeshore Lodge is a looong way. Any spot to visit, camp Same as above, center Ruaha and Lakeshore in base camp and search "camp". The 'classics' are Kisolanza farmhouse near Iringa and Utengule Coffee Lodge outside Mbeya.

Again thanks in thanks in advance
    Edip

I recommend you get Tracks4Africa which, combined with Basecamp on your computer, will assist with timings and possible places to stay or camp. The base data on T4A comes from travellers like us who send their GPS tracks to T4A. Unlike Google maps’ timings which are a figment of an algorithm’s “imagination”.

Ioverlander is a useful app for places to camp - although I would be wary of some of the wild camping places marked. Wild camping is to be avoided unless you have permission from the local headman.

If you search for our blog posts on this forum, you will see how we drove from Lake Manyara to Lake Tanganyika. And then from Lake Tanganyika into Zambia. Nairobi - Lake Manyara - Mbulu Highlands - Haidom - Tabora - Kigoma - Katavi - Sumbawanga - Zambia.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/07/20 at 01:21 AM.

Mwanza to Tarangire NP: transit stopping-off places such as Singida. Ioverlander will have some hotels marked. Not glamorous, but functional.

Tarangire NP to the Selous (now Nyerere National Park): yes via Dodoma and Morogoro. Six plus hours from Morogoro through the Uluguru mountains.

Selous to Udzungwa NP: yes, back via Morogoro - unless miracles have happened. A rough old ride from the Selous to Morogoro.

Ruaha to the A104: via Iringa. Not recommended to take any supposed “shortcut”. Overnight at Kisolanza near Iringa and Utengule Coffee Lodge near Mbeya. In Sumbawanga - the mission or various hotels (basic but adequate).
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/07/20 at 01:57 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by schwott View Post
    I recommend Panorama Safari Camp in Mto Wa Mbu for Lake Manyara, Tarangire and Ngorongoro as well. Due to Covid we were able to negotiate their igloos for the price of camping. The same goes for Hondo Hondo (Udzungwa). The desk price of their permanents tents is ridiculously set around 100$, we negotiated again for about 20$. Just in Ruaha NP we camped inside NP (30$ pppn) to use up their 24h policy. Also in Ritungu Camp (for Mikumi NP) we got huge discount for their huts. We camped only in Tan Swiss Lodge (for Mikumi) to enjoy their nice swimming pool. January 2021.
    We are looking forward to your trip report.

We are looking forward to your trip report.
    It will hardly happen again. I was forced to write only one travel diary from Oman (and in Czech language) https://www.zirhamia.cz/zapisky-z-cest/oman/ and those delivery pains were a horrible experience I do not want to repeat. But I must admit it was nice to meet a group of Czechs in Salalah market two years after who said: "We are travelling according your trip report".

I do not make many pictures, I do not make notices during my travel any more. I found out I do not remember well the moods, the situations, the genius loci when doing this. I am using my hard disc only now, my brain....

I am more than happy to share my travel experience if I feel I have anything worth to say.

Ask me how to get to Mafia by public transport or how to hire a good guide for Udzungwa Mountain hike etc. but do not ask the trip report. Sorry, I am not able to deliver it.
    Last edited by schwott; 2021/07/20 at 09:39 AM.

[QUOTE=Wazungu Wawili;4689102]I recommend you get Tracks4Africa which, combined with Basecamp on your computer, will assist with timings and possible places to stay or camp. The base data on T4A comes from travellers like us who send their GPS tracks to T4A. Unlike Google maps’ timings which are a figment of an algorithm’s “imagination”.

Ioverlander is a useful app for places to camp - although I would be wary of some of the wild camping places marked. Wild camping is to be avoided unless you have permission from the local headman.

If you search for our blog posts on this forum, you will see how we drove from Lake Manyara to Lake Tanganyika. And then from Lake Tanganyika into Zambia. Nairobi - Lake Manyara - Mbulu Highlands - Haidom - Tabora - Kigoma - Katavi - Sumbawanga - Zambia.[/QU drove along west Tanzania. As I plan visiting Trangire , Selous or Ruaha I'll be staying on east part.

Mwanza to Tarangire NP: transit stopping-off places such as Singida. Ioverlander will have some hotels marked. Not glamorous, but functional.OK noted

Tarangire NP to the Selous (now Nyerere National Park): yes via Dodoma and Morogoro. Six plus hours from Morogoro through the Uluguru mountains.

Selous to Udzungwa NP: yes, back via Morogoro - unless miracles have happened. A rough old ride from the Selous to Morogoro.There seem be a road. We'll see when we get there.

Ruaha to the A104: via Iringa. Not recommended to take any supposed “shortcut”. Overnight at Kisolanza near Iringa and Utengule Coffee Lodge near Mbeya. In Sumbawanga - the mission or various hotels (basic but adequate).
    Noted, thanks.

Hello again,

I'm somehow indecisive about buying or renting.
    Although 10-12,000 USD margin seems sufficient for a proper !.. Toyota or Land Rover in Kampala there are purchasing equipment ( no idea about finding second hand), Insurances, Taxes, Costs of passing border posts, etc. SO anyone experienced such state ?

Does anyone know how much approx. will cost a comesa insurance for covering Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana ? Do I need individual insurance for these countries ? (any idea of costs?)

Following yr advises of high cost Parks in Tanzania perhaps we should decrease number of visits. We shall do some trekking inRwenzori Mountains as well. So far I have
    - Migombani
    - Trangire
    - Selous ?..
    - Udzungwa
    - Ruaha
    what U think,?

Thank U so much fellows
    Edip

Hello again,

I'm somehow indecisive about buying or renting.
    Although 10-12,000 USD margin seems sufficient for a proper !.. Toyota or Land Rover in Kampala there are purchasing equipment ( no idea about finding second hand), Insurances, Taxes, Costs of passing border posts, etc. SO anyone experienced such state ?

Does anyone know how much approx. will cost a comesa insurance for covering Tanzania, Zambia, Botswana ? Do I need individual insurance for these countries ? (any idea of costs?)

Following yr advises of high cost Parks in Tanzania perhaps we should decrease number of visits. We shall do some trekking inRwenzori Mountains as well. So far I have
    - Migombani
    - Trangire
    - Selous ?..
    - Udzungwa
    - Ruaha
    what U think,?

Thank U so much fellows
    Edip
    I don’t have any experience of buying a vehicle in Uganda, but I do have experience of Kenya. Unless you have very good contacts in Uganda and have very good experience of vehicles, then it is definitely “caveat emptor” - buyer beware. I also think you will struggle to buy tents and such equipment in Uganda - unless you find an expat leaving and selling their kit.

As I said before, the system of buying a vehicle and having it registered in your name WILL be an expensive, time-consuming and, in all likelihood impossible task - given that you are not a resident in Uganda. I do have experience of this in Kenya. Whether or not you can get insurance for a vehicle that is not registered in your name, I have no idea.

The vehicle will need to be insured in Uganda. COMESA is an add-on third party insurance which covers the vehicle for once outside Uganda and only in COMESA member countries. For your journey, those countries are Tanzania, Zambia, Malawi and Zimbabwe. Botswana, Namibia and South Africa are not members of COMESA.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/07/28 at 12:20 AM.