Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Different Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Valid concerns all. You get as much useable power from 1x Lithium 104 as you do from 2x lead acid of the same size because you can go so
    much deeper discharge. You donít want to run deep cycles lower than 50%.

Charger could def. be an issue. We use a lot of power at night - we camp in winter and use electric blankets. We run two CPAP machines. We often run two fridges. So a mini-Eskom is needed. Lifespan on lithium should be longer in theory.
    Which explains nicely why Lead Acid is better than Lithium.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Not the best idea if you do not know the current condition of the existing battery. Rule of thumb will be the charging potential will be that of the least efficient battery. When you link two batteries in parallel, the charger just sees one big battery, it does not know they are separate.
    Indeed. As long as the older battery doesn't have a shorted cell this config is fine. Connect them and charge as one. Check temperature of cells with Covid IR thermometer...

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Stranger, the battery is a 105AH deep cycle. Its charged from a 12Amp Echo Power Panel which as far as I am aware is a copy of the HCDP power panel, so not worried that it will not see the correct voltage.

I was not aware that one could do a load test on a deep cycle so will give that a go. Now just to find a battery shop which doesn't sell deep cycles so I don't get the pre-printed results telling me I need to buy a new battery from them
    I too need to replace the two 65AH deep cycle batteries I have in my Echo 4 trailer. The difficulty I am having is finding a deep cycle battery that will fit the height of the battery bay (the battery bay is only 200mm deep and to avoid the battery terminals touching the battery bay cover, the maximum height of the battery cannot exceed 190mm). I would like to explore replacing my deep cycle batteries with Lithium-ion batteries, but my understanding is that I will need to replace the Echo/HCDP power panel to permit charging of the Lithium-ion batteries. I'm not sure whether there are any Echo trailer owners who have changed to Lithium-ion batteries?

Do not connect different batteries together. It is a bad idea, no matter what charging system. If you want two, either buy two identical batteries at the same time from the same place or use them as separate entities-as was suggested above.

Smile Re: Different Batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    With some fancy wiring he can do this with a proper 3-way switch. Then he doesn't have to physically remove lugs from the terminals every time.

Position 1 - old battery connected and new battery disconnected from the charger
    Position 2 - new battery disconnected and old battery connected to the charger
    Position 3- both batteries connected for when circumstances calls for it. Or even both disconnected?

Hey Swartkat, jy moes 'n prokurower gewees het, kyk hoe maklik vang jy die manne... Jou Position 1 en 2 is presies dieselfde

Quote Originally Posted by pietkruger View Post
    Hey Swartkat, jy moes 'n prokurower gewees het, kyk hoe maklik vang jy die manne... Jou Position 1 en 2 is presies dieselfde
    Wragtag daar sien ek dit nou!

Ek is dus 'n excellent prokureur deur so mooi met die woorde te kan toor.

Ek gaan dit gou fix dankie.
    Last edited by Die SwartKat; 2021/07/26 at 01:51 PM.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2