Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Keep warm kettles

There is nothing more efficient than boiling just the right amount of water in a kettle each time you need it.

The better the kettle, the more efficient it is. Hardly worth boiling 250ml of water for a cup coffee in a 4l stainless steel beamoth.

Fast and efficient are those little 800ml plastic kettles you often find in hotel rooms.

————————

For many years those pump pots where very popular. I really couldn’t bother boiling a large volume of water in filling a flask or pump pot etc.

I am fanatical about my water still being almost boiling when making a cup of tea.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Nico, that is completely wrong. The more you minimise standing losses the less affect a timer will have.
    Aaah very true, I think I expressed myself wrong here.

If there were no standing losses at all, then there would not be a need for timers. But we all know this is not the case.

I think what I subconsciously meant to say, goes hand in hand with your post about ambient temperature being substantially lower than the geyser's set temp which would result in the biggest losses.

I mean this is exactly why I said I had insulated my geyser, because it is outside on the roof.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Aaah very true, I think I expressed myself wrong here.

If there were no standing losses at all, then there would not be a need for timers. But we all know this is not the case.

I think what I subconsciously meant to say, goes hand in hand with your post about ambient temperature being substantially lower than the geyser's set temp which would result in the biggest losses.

I mean this is exactly why I said I had insulated my geyser, because it is outside on the roof.
    Yeh, I kinda guessed something like that.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Nicely written, but unfortunately, unless I missed it, the most important parameter is missing.

Ambient temperature, and this is uber important because it forms the delta, or difference in temperature between the geyser and the ambient. Standing loss is 100% tied to this delta. Bigger the temp difference, bigger the standing loss.

Take a warm area like Durban in summer, with a geyser in the ceiling, coupled with cold water inlet temps of >20 deg C and you will gain almost nothing playing with geyser temp and timers.

Vereeniging in winter, with an outside geyser covered in frost, ah ya yay, dis n ander storie.

Agreed 100% - I was trying to keep the example simple. Standing losses will be dictated by geyser and pipe lagging efficiency, Geyser location (outside, in roof, in garage etc) and air ambient temperature etc. and the more optimal the environment, and the lower the losses are then the less a timer will save. (but you are also consuming less as well) It will however always save some energy, it's just a question of when does the hassle outweigh the benefit.
    Last edited by John A; 2021/07/24 at 10:42 AM.

Keep warm kettle...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to A_dam10 For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3