Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Botswana covid update

@JVJoubert

We are a german couple and we come via J´burg to Botswana. At first we have a PCR-Test to enter in RSA and Botswana. Do we also need only a rapid test wen we are going back to RSA? Or is there a different between international and residents?

Thanks for informations

Joachim
    Last edited by Brauni; 2021/08/24 at 03:44 PM.

We're from NL and will go to Botswana end of this week. As far as I understand, you need a PCR test result that is not older than 72 hours from the moment of testing to cross the border into SA from Botswana. I think Botswana is one of the very few countries that want to see a test before you leave, but SA is certainly going to ask for it. Beware that flying back to Germany, other rules may apply. Flying back to NL, you need a PCR test result not older than 48 hours plus an antigen (rapid) test or PCR test result only if not older than 24 hours. These are the official rules as far as I can find them. What is actually happening at the border when you are there may be a different story. We've allowed for plenty of time crossing the border on both ways just to be sure.

PCR testing in Botswana: Diagnofirm seems to have the best network

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
    We're from NL and will go to Botswana end of this week. As far as I understand, you need a PCR test result that is not older than 72 hours from the moment of testing to cross the border into SA from Botswana. I think Botswana is one of the very few countries that want to see a test before you leave, but SA is certainly going to ask for it. Beware that flying back to Germany, other rules may apply. Flying back to NL, you need a PCR test result not older than 48 hours plus an antigen (rapid) test or PCR test result only if not older than 24 hours. These are the official rules as far as I can find them. What is actually happening at the border when you are there may be a different story. We've allowed for plenty of time crossing the border on both ways just to be sure.

PCR testing in Botswana: Diagnofirm seems to have the best network
    Dear Bertus,

I assume that you have returned from your holiday trip and hope you had an amazing time, as I will travel myself on the 7th of October for a month to Moremi, Chobe, CKGR for a self-driving trip and since the Botswana covid related information is very sparse, I am very curious about your border crossing experiences and would greatly appreciate it if you would share them with us.

Thanks for your help.

Johan

Hi Johan, answered privately, but wanted to share the info in this thread too.

First of all, this is the best time to go. Moremi and Savuti were as they were 25 years ago, without all the crowds. On top of that, both areas have the ideal combination of enough water for large amounts of game, but not too much affecting where you can drive. Anybody who can go should go and enjoy the quiet. And the ideal conditions.

As far as covid goes, Botswana relaxed some measures a couple of weeks ago. On the way up we had one interzonal travel check, on the way back that seemed to have lifted. And liquor is sold from Monday till Thursday. Border regulations are much the same. We were not rapid antigen tested at all (Matrin's Drift both ways) and didn't see any facilities to do this. You do need the 72 hours valid PCR test both ways. Border was very quiet and both ways it took us not more time than usual: half an hour to an hour.

On the way back we used Diagnofirm for the PCR test. They have offices throughout the country. We tested in Maun at the beginning of the day and picked up results, print out, in Palapye early morning next day. Very professional service. Cost is 850 Pula. All that testing is a nuisance and adds cost, but at least is fast and done professionally wihout any issues.

And obviously, once you're in the bush, nobody is bothering you about any of this and you can do as if covid doesn't exist.

Have a good trip, I'm sure you will have an excellent time!
    Alex

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AlexB For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2