Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wireless Geyser Controller

Hi,

Would like to know if anyone has installed this or knows where I could get something like this:

I have 2 150lt geysers and want to get a wireless app setup for things like, monitoring, setting custom on/off timers, setting temperatures, elec consumption, etc...

Would like both geysers connected to this app so they can both be controlled. Would probably require 2 new elements that would then be connected to a "smart hub".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chino For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wireless Geyser Controller

Get some Sonoff POW R2's.

Both is linked then to one app.

https://eiferer.co.za/products/sonof...xoCAHIQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/07/07 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Get some Sonoff POW R2's.

Both is linked then to one app.

https://eiferer.co.za/products/sonof...xoCAHIQAvD_BwE
    on paper they can handle load of a geyser, in practice not. I recall somebody on the forum also had one burn out in a geyser application?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-07 101120.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	622050
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Yeah the Sonoff's doesn't give me full control for temperature control and elec consumption readings and they cannot handle the load either which becomes a fire hazard.

Yes, you need the 63A or 100A Sonoff DB Switch controller if you want to control a geyser. its R720.
    https://www.robofactory.co.za/home-a...g-ewelink.html

I have also run Geyser Wise systems in previous houses, I found no benefit at all by switching the geyser on and off.

https://www.sanitaryware.co.za/geyse...RoCWZUQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Driven Jeeps View Post
    Yes, you need the 63A or 100A Sonoff DB Switch controller if you want to control a geyser. its R720.
    https://www.robofactory.co.za/home-a...g-ewelink.html

I have also run Geyser Wise systems in previous houses, I found no benefit at all by switching the geyser on and off.

https://www.sanitaryware.co.za/geyse...RoCWZUQAvD_BwE
    I agree with the "no benefit switching geysers on and off" in terms of total kWh used per day, but I do however think that it can make sense if you still have electric geysers with solar PV installed. Set the geyser timers to only switch on during the day when batteries are just about fully charged (or peak yield exceeds demand) to avoid excess PV energy to be lost.

This is in theory and I have not practically tested this concept. I'd like to hear what others say about this.
    Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

You can get the CBI one.

CBI-ELECTRIC ASTUTE SMART CONTROLLER

Uses the Tuya smart app.

https://www.chamberlains.co.za/cbi-e...xoCMS8QAvD_BwE
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure. Bill Cosby

VW Tiguan 2.0T - Track and Field - 4 Motion
    AG0011

Please tell us about Tuya.
    I find the CBI app very unfriendly.
    Is it simple to connect the Astute to Tuya?

Recently we talked about the CBI unit not having the function to after a power off to continue with the program it was set at. Or to switch on of off. These are included in the Sonoff.
    My view on saving by switching on or off is not easy to measure. If you have one more bath per month you defeat the saving you made in 1 week by switching. 7kWh to reheat a 150L geyser from 20 to 60 degrees.
    Up to a few years ago geysers lost about 2kWh of reheat per 24hrs.
    If it wasn't that the OP wanted the power used I would just use a 11 pin relay to drive the elements as I have done. 1 Sonoff to switch both geysers on and off. It works well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-07-07 125730.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	622063
    Ek dinkk daaraan om die een te probeer. Daar is ook 'n 100A een beskikbaar.
    2017 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT 4x4
    2019 Bush Lapa Baobab 3

Regarding the geyserwise, I think there are many variables. I installed one, paid it off in 3 months. Second one I installed will take about 11 months.

The geyserwise is better than a conventional on off timer, due to the different temperature settings. I can heat the water hotter when the wife showers in the evenings, but leave it reasonable for my showers in the mornings. In other words, I'm not heating water to cool it down again. And I heat it just before I use it to prevent standing losses. Geyserwise was worth it, extra insulation not so much, in my opinion.

You get a remotely controlled geyserwise unit, but it's very expensive in comparison. Have a look on their website, they have a demo you can play with.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Craigm For This Useful Post:

I installed a geyser wise controller and I am happy with it

Lot of functions, graphs etc

I can adjust the temp from any ware in the world, there are time settings divided in 4 time zones when and at what temp you want the water

I could also switch the element on or off as I wish when I am not at home

Work perfectly for me
    Piet the Camper
    Bl 24

I am running the CBI astute breakers to control my geysers x 3 and pool pump. So far I am happy, but thats because I am running my normal geysers as far as possible off the solar panels I have installed. It lets you set up timers and such and has some more advanced setting that I have not really delved into.

I did have an instance where it lost its programming which was a bit irritating, but not a showstopper, as it was pretty quick to get it up and running again. If I am not home and the madam is complaining, it may be another issue though. I think this is a risk with any sort of automation.

Quote Originally Posted by Piet the Camper View Post
    I installed a geyser wise controller and I am happy with it

Lot of functions, graphs etc

I can adjust the temp from any ware in the world, there are time settings divided in 4 time zones when and at what temp you want the water

I could also switch the element on or off as I wish when I am not at home

Work perfectly for me
    Which one did you install, where did you get it from and what was the cost. If you don't mind me asking.

Thanks all for the valuable advise.

Yes, i read a few years ago that switching on and off makes no difference. Why i'm looking for some "Smart" is for when i'm away for a few days and also to monitor this so called saving myself from a consumption perspective. Swambo also prefers body scorching heat in the shower and me not soo much so in that way i could better control it.

This is also part of my project to slowly but surely convert thing that can be over to wireless connectivity.

Fully agree that this does not save power. Useful for monitoring and control though. I use a Geyserwise because I can monitor the geyser and easily change temperature etc. Next step is a solar geyser though.
    ZS6VL

Any person who boils the kettle when going to sleep and find the water steaming hot when they get up in the morning... You guys won't see a saving by switching off.

I use a geyserwise timer together with a Sonoff switch. I am completely off-grid and boil 2 geysers (50 liter and 150 liter) every day. The 50 liter I take up to 65C and the 150 liter to 61C once a day...and that's it. If I leave it on as if I have Eskom I will not have enough power through the night. So, switching on and off does save.

I, however have a 250 liter (solar only) geyser that runs to my 150 liter geyser.
    Last edited by LdLL; 2021/07/07 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LdLL View Post
    I use a geyserwise timer together with a Sonoff switch. I am completely off-grid and boil 2 geysers (50 liter and 150 liter) every day. The 50 liter I take up to 65C and the 150 liter to 61C once a day...and that's it. If I leave it on as if I have Eskom I will not have enough power through the night. So, switching on and off does save.

I, however have a 250 liter (solar only) geyser that runs to my 150 liter geyser.

How exactly do you use the Geyserwise in combo with the Sonoff, I'm also looking at something like this, Geyserwise with the settings and flexibility, but also want it smart.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read" - Not Mark Twain

Hi Monkey-D and others that were not paying attention in class when last I explained .... ;-)
    If you have solar, just string 5 or so in series to get >200V DC, straight to the standard geyser element.
    A 6uF capacitor to stop arcing at thermostat, costs about R60.
    When thermostat switches off, voltage rises and charges battery through charge controller.
    (In my case, no charge controller, only a R60 diode to keep batteries from heating water...)
    No expensive and fallible electrickery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast