Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Wys jou brood!

Default Re: Wys jou brood!

Of course if you are talking about beer bread that's just self raising and beer, it's less of an issue as it's the carbonation of the beer that creates lift. But I would still prefer a room temperature beer if I have an option.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the advice, will certainly do that.
    Your mind is your strongest weapon.
    Then there's.....POWER TOOLS!
    2021 Mahindra Scorpio S11 SUV.
    '00 Frontier 280DT 4X2
    2002 Sprite Surfer Nomad

A fresh one for supper...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6748.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	719236

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A_dam10 For This Useful Post:

SourdoughClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20240324-WA0022.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	719254

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wolley For This Useful Post:

I like "tough and chewy" breads. I have noted in the past, that the more I knead my dough, the more elastic it becomes and the chewier the end result is. Is this my imagination.

I noticed it on my first go at pizza dough. First pizza's fell apart then I, for no clever reason, kneaded the second batch way more and the base came out as it should.

Anyone care to comment?

You knead to know what you are doing when working with dough
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    You knead to know what you are doing when working with dough
    Unless you use a no knead recipe. Then it's just a sloppy mess.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    I like "tough and chewy" breads. I have noted in the past, that the more I knead my dough, the more elastic it becomes and the chewier the end result is. Is this my imagination.

I noticed it on my first go at pizza dough. First pizza's fell apart then I, for no clever reason, kneaded the second batch way more and the base came out as it should.

Anyone care to comment?
    Time is your friend getting to tough and chewy
    Knead for 3-4 mins, with x3 rest periods in the first hour kneading in between the rest periods. Wet your hands slightly to reduce sticking dough

Anyone care to comment?
    https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2013...artisan-bread/

Really really nice chewy loaf that requires virtually no kneading at all. Sloppy dough all over the place.

Jim Lahey has also done a no knead pizza dough...

He's quite a cool dude

Edit: use decent flour. Recommend Eureka Mills stone ground white bread flour.
    Last edited by CraigWatt; 2024/04/14 at 03:59 PM.
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi

Shortly taking wing..

Anyone care to comment?
    Sorry Andrew, I missed this post.

Kneading develops the gluten. The more you knead the more that lovely elasticity that is almost glue-like develops. The gluten is what provides the structure. The glutenin comes in strands that sort of coil together with hydrogen bonds. The kneading straightens them almost like into a sheet. So the more you knead, the more structure you provide. That is what provides the chewiness. Compare it to a gluten free pizza dough that has almost a gummy texture no matter how much you knead. It can't form that lovely soft ball that gluten provides.

Therefore the need to rest the dough to give the gluten lattice time to relax again so that we can have air pockets to provide lift. Otherwise it will be dense and chewy, but unpleasantly so.

Baking is part science and part art because learning to judge when the balance of gluten structure and air pocket is optimal, is what we are chasing.

No knead recipes make use of time to achieve the same aim. It's the agitation that develops the gluten. In no knead recipes the yeast eating the sugar releases carbon dioxide trapped in tiny bubbles that causes the agitation 'kneading' it at microscopic level.
    But you will notice that no knead dough is always very sticky. It's because liquid is the second element needed to develop gluten and the no knead always contain a lot of water to compensate for lack of kneading.

If in doubt, knead a bit more. We tend to stop too early. I have also noted that whenever I have a stronger sous chef the bread responds better. It's the manhandling that develops the gluten. And the more gluten development the yummier the bread.

Quote Originally Posted by CraigWatt View Post
    https://www.theclevercarrot.com/2013...artisan-bread/

Really really nice chewy loaf that requires virtually no kneading at all. Sloppy dough all over the place.

Jim Lahey has also done a no knead pizza dough...

He's quite a cool dude

Edit: use decent flour. Recommend Eureka Mills stone ground white bread flour.
    Jim LaHey really knows what he's doing. I love learning from him.

Andrew I can also use contrast to demonstrate. Think about a swiss roll recipe where it tells you to stir it 4x or whatever it is only. Because you want that light, delicate texture that is almost more air than anything else. It's the other extreme, but you can clearly see the effect of the application. On the one hand a sturdy loaf. On the other a delicate cake that falls apart if you look at it skew because of it's lack of structure.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6