Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Default Re: House to run ob solar when sun shines

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Honestly, I have never seen a Victron installation which isn't a mess, both physical implementation and configuration/architecture wise. That's what happens when you try to adapt boat equipment to permanent shore installations.
    Methinks, this is SO far from a boat install ... those fuses ... O my, THAT is solar ####!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2L8hcCKfs
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/07/22 at 10:18 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by the_terrible_triplett View Post
    Well blow me down ... I did NOT see that coming. Wow.

EDIT: The case below, in chatting to the buyer, Victron was not an option.
    Despite what you may think - I do have some enemies.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Methinks, this is SO far from a boat install ... those fuses ... O my, THAT is solar ####!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lj2L8hcCKfs
    Realistically, once you get over 5kW it makes complete sense to have separate functions in separate boxes.

Below that, in a domestic system. Can’t find justification for the unnecessary complexity, mess and excessive cost. Especially for a turnkey system which is not going to be subject to DIY tinkering and configuration and upgrades or expansions.

And then, when you get to enterprise or solar farms. Victron stops at 15kVA max size. Serious solar manufacturers like GOODWE play in the 250kVA park - thats per inverter, not a container of Lego - oops Blue Inverters.

————

Ok, had enough, just stirring.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/07/22 at 10:39 PM.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Despite what you may think - I do have some enemies.

I've riled up a forum or two myself ... especially that power forum one.

THE biggest Axpert/Inifity members/supporters there, some joined in the early days ... most of them have been "assimilated" into "Blue" camp.
    The arguments, debates we had ... O. My. Word! It got very tense.

Much saner here. Best is, we both agree, Victron, not everyone's cup of tea. Nope. Never.
    Budget ... inconsequential in the end, you want what you want.

FWIW, one day, when I have cash to spend, I will, just because I then can, try out a Solis for one year ... then a Synsync ...

And I will throw at both of them what I threw at Victron ... checking support, backup, repairs, interfacing, everything that I now know I have, did, done in the last decade.

Just because I can ... have the spare cash, for fun, for the hell of it ... walking the talk.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Realistically, once you get over 5kW it makes complete sense to have separate functions in separate boxes.

Below that, in a domestic system. Can’t find justification for the unnecessary complexity, mess and excessive cost. Especially for a turnkey system which is not going to be subject to DIY tinkering and configuration and upgrades or expansions.
    I agree.
    And I agree too, re. the 90kVA "container" system, even for 3phase, Victron is not really into those "markets" in my opinion. Go elsewhere.

But, adding to what you say, the type of personality, that also dictates the system decision to a large extent. Can see them coming a mile away.

Sometimes the person does not even know what they want ... so and so said so.
    Sometimes you just "know" ... go for ABC system ... "trust me".

The trick is to ask the right questions ... that takes time, effort (money) and if you don't make a cent out of that deal, why bother?

Regards
    Victron Ambassador.
    Gooi daai titbits.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/07/22 at 10:48 PM.
    Political Correctness

I've riled up a forum or two myself ... especially that power forum one.

THE biggest Axpert/Inifity members/supporters there, some joined in the early days ... most of them have been "assimilated" into "Blue" camp.
    The arguments, debates we had ... O. My. Word! It got very tense.

Much saner here. Best is, we both agree, Victron, not everyone's cup of tea. Nope. Never.
    Budget ... inconsequential in the end, you want what you want.

FWIW, one day, when I have cash to spend, I will, just because I then can, try out a Solis for one year ... then a Synsync ...

And I will throw at both of them what I threw at Victron ... checking support, backup, repairs, interfacing, everything that I now know I have, did, done in the last decade.

Just because I can ... have the spare cash, for fun, for the hell of it ... walking the talk.
    You do know I am also a member there.

Just out of interest. Why do you ask so many questions if the answer is always the same colour.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/07/22 at 10:44 PM.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

You do know I am also a member there.
    No, I did not.
    So you know I've been "deleted" there. Nogal by the owner himself! I knew way too much ... and he knew I knew that he knew that.
    Joke is, after I was " deleted", a while later, most of the original "founding" core members extracted themselves for various reasons.
    Noticed how that forum has morphed?

Just out of interest. Why do you ask so many questions if the answer is always the same colour.
    Asking the questions does not mean the answer is "Blue". That is "assuming".
    Secondly, by asking the questions, pushing buttons, I "try" to "see" where the person's head is. I've made my share of "WTF not to do!" This is a forum, I cannot see the persons face, hear their voice.
    And it is also sometimes quite entertaining ... when people assumed one is "Blue"-track minded, one throws in the "hints" that one is actually quite open minded, just to see people "missing" the hints, ignoring the hard earned "titbits", going full-on defensive.

Victron is NOT for everybody ... if you know about it, and still want to go elsewhere, at least you have more answers, than having not engaged in conversations with me.

In my view, that person is off better, even if they don't buy Victron.

... and IF what I said turned out to be 100% the truth ...
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/07/22 at 11:08 PM.
    Political Correctness

@eezy rider
    Now that we've had a couple of days of sunshine with low irriadation, how is system coping?
    My three arrays are doing 50% these past few days.

Some optimally aligned and some not so much
    Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

Hi Prof, it has been an interesting journey so far. I am the odd one out, pure grid tie, no batteries, but that's what i wanted from the start. So let me paint the picture.....4 bed 3 bath house with heat pump [geysers] swimming pool [750w] and the rest of the general appliances that go with it.

This Solis amazes me each day, the app works at all times, whether i am at the office or at home. To recap, i have 9 x 420w panels, 4 face east, 5 face north, my sweet spot from looking at my stats are from 11am till 3pm, anything from 2kw up to 3kw. What has been strange is that the last 2 days i am getting lower yields 4 days ago, almost 90% yield, now i am on 75% of panel capacity, maybe its just the weather....Prof, you also seeing this? Wonder what it is...?

My daily yield changes between 15kw and 16kw looking at 7 days, i dont think this is bad. I have exported between 2kw and 5kw back to the grid, varies per day. I dont get anything for that, i am still on the old 'pre paid' tariff. The plan is to look in detail how i can use the power i make. From day 1, i knew that i have 2 things that chow power, heat pump 1.6kw and pool, 750w, run those at peak, between 12pm and 3pm, that is what i am doing. The beauty is that i am actually using my solar peak. The bad is, i dont have 100% enough for both of these when solar is not great, so i might split, start pool at 9am, run till 12pm, heat pump from 12pm, till 3pm. I will try this in the week.

So on a side note, with this fancy meter i have from the muni i have noticed that i already start exporting from 9.30am, when i have 1kw from the east string [4 x panels] till 11am or 12pm when pool pump and heat pump starts, its crazy, but a good crazy.

To end off, i think the system i have is small in forum standards, but we must just remember what grid tie's function is, to assist you, thats all, try and use solar to reduce your bill, thats what i am trying to do. As i said, solar throw away is what i dream about at night, changing timer settings, using the sun to power as much as i can. I am happy and lucky, i can use Solar peak for heavy energy eaters, especially during sweet spot times, call it 12pm till 3pm. Those 3 hours are crucial.

I have a feeling that in summer my timers will change allot. My whole point with this grid tie exercise was to reduce my bill by half, even more, and that is my plan. I have no idea why the panels worked up to 90% then down to 70%, i am sure its weather related, but what i can say is, for only 9 panels, it is almost running the whole house loads during the day from 9am till 4pm.

Another interesting observation is the dual mppt. The east string starts up before 8am, full power till 2pm, if you ever thing of splitting then do so. My north face in winter now only starts up at 10am, 11am proper.

Just to end off, a massive thanks to Danie [ekkekan] We have spoke and asked so many questions, he has really helped allot, regardless if this is a solis or victron install. My aim was to reduce my bill, by allot, and i think for what i have spent, it will come sooner than later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	624470   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	624471   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	624472  

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ezee rider For This Useful Post:

Ezee rider I think your system with panels as installed is doing great. Getting 4kwh/kw installed for this time of the year is good going. At least you know now the option of exporting without trips and paying a few cents more for grid consumption is the way to go. As time goes by you will find loads to switch on to reduce the current 3-5kwh you are exporting per day.
    Your 1st graph with the many ups and downs for a sunny day puzzles me. All 3 seems to be for today?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Ezee rider I think your system with panels as installed is doing great. Getting 4kwh/kw installed for this time of the year is good going. At least you know now the option of exporting without trips and paying a few cents more for grid consumption is the way to go. As time goes by you will find loads to switch on to reduce the current 3-5kwh you are exporting per day.
    Your 1st graph with the many ups and downs for a sunny day puzzles me. All 3 seems to be for today?
    Hi Danie, the three graphs are three different days, some with clouds.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ezee rider For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ezee rider View Post
    Hi Danie, the three graphs are three different days, some with clouds.
    Thanks. The date at the bottom fooled me.

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    I have more or less the same problem as you, but in my case, I need to upgrade to a 5Kva inverter (have only a 2.4Kva now)

So despite me having about 5Kva worth of PV array (4,2Kva if you work with 80% efficiency), I simply cannot extract that from the panels because of the inverter max limit.
    Not replying to this comment, but rather to show you my total monthly usage, split between the solar panels/battery (green) and the grid (red).

Itís a snapshot and doesnít show what was used each hour, when the grid was off, batteries were charging off the grid because of cloudy days, etc.

Hope this is easier/better than the other graphs off the Chinese system.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostii View Post

Hope this is easier/better than the other graphs off the Chinese system.
    Interesting....... I notice your overall power used is up quite a bit from Febr.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/08/01 at 03:22 PM.

Default House to run ob solar when sun shines

It was installed in late December, then we were in a (lockdown) holiday in January. And April was also a week away from home.

I think once Iíve been through a full year it will be a little more accurate, as well as complete the summer and winter comparison.

Given that Feb has 2-3 less days can also add another 40-45kWh. My pool pump was also not working, while I was waiting for a replacement. Thatís another 2.4kWh per day or about 50kWh. Add those two back and it would be close to the average.
    Last edited by Frostii; 2021/08/01 at 12:24 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Frostii For This Useful Post:

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9