Where to stay in Moz

Default Where to stay in Moz

I've been talked into going to Moz in December. Never been there. Where can I look for self catering accom where it is not so busy. I have read that anywhere below Inhambane is very busy (I am allergic to crowded places) I immagine that one can scuba at most places
    I appreciate your comments
    Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Imagine Comfortvan

It depends mainly on how far you are willing to travel and how adventurous you are.

ponta and malongane are nice, and out of season is very quiet good fishing and lots of dive operators there. Its main draw card is that it is close (+- 5.5 hours from durbs)
    Zavhora is fantastic, but mainly a fishing destination although there is some snorkelling but no dive operators. It next to those fresh water lakes you see by Xai-Xai, so there is a lot of exploring you can do in your 4by with breath taking scenery.
    Inhaca island is magical (+- 30 miles out from Maputo), but you need a boat to make full use of everything that is available there, and to get there unless you want to queue and jump on the ferry. As far as I know there are no dive operators but snorkelling along the “garden” as magical, fishing is great, even in the channel 300m off Portuguese island we were catching couta and queens. Lots of star fish in the bay of all types and sizes
    Tofo is +-25kms from inhambane and is like the ibiza of Mozambique. Very festive and hectic in season, and paradise out of season. Lots of dive operators and fishing is excellent deep sea and off the beach. guinjata is not far and shares similar attractions.
    Further north is vilinculas and the islands off there. also very nice, but aimed mainly at the international market and 3 days drive. (you never drive at night in mozambique, and obey the speed limit religiously)
    Hilux Xtra Cab 3.0 D4-D 4x4

Nic

Default Going to Moz in August

May I hi-jack your Thread? We are heading for Moz in mid to end Aug.

1. Prob not best time as windy season? (unfortunately only time can go this year)
    2. Have 4 nights, 5 days at Guinjata Dive Camp so will have to plan itinerary around it - how accessible is the road to Guinjata with 4 x 4 and Commander on tow?
    3. We only have about 10/11 days incl travelling time from Swaziland available in all.
    4. Was hoping to fit Inhaca in, any nice camps and is it worth it for 2 days only?
    5. Stop in-between around Xai-Xai area for about 2 nights, been to Xai-Xai, any suggestions of other nice camps on route to Guinjata?
    6. We wish to snorkel, laze, relax and enjoy!
    7. I read all there is to read on the Moz threads via search, the tips on what to and what not is invaluable…thanks all for that…..your input re the route and accessibility as well as great camps would be highly appreciated.

Thanks a mill
    TT

Default Where to stay in Moz

I did stay at some of the places on my current trip (The ones with full info)
    The rest is from rode side boards.
    Never had problems with accommodation even over Easter holidays and the Zim holiday time.

Paindane Beach Resort Inhambane
    Bookings SA 0825693436 (South Africa)

Bill Fish Loge Inhassoro
    [email protected]
    +258844109679 (Mozambique)
    Erika Markram

Jolly Roger overnight Accommodation
    0025829361021 (o\h) (Mozambique land line)
    0025829361015 (a\h) (Mozambique land line)
    00258847022300 (Mozambique)
    [email protected]
    Larry & Alta Smith

DB Lodge Inhassoro
    www.dblodge.co.za
    [email protected]
    00258843905700 (Mozambique)
    00258845905700 (Mozambique)
    +27832513093 (South Africa)
    +27824934559 (South Africa)

Paradise Magoo
    www.paradisemagoo.co.za
    [email protected]
    00258-28264109
    00258-28264113
    00258-84273660
    +27828256807

Xai-Xai
    It was the local caravan park. It is old facilities but fair to camp for an day or 2. The chalets are not worth the price, camping is better. Please note that it is in Praia Xai-Xai and not the town you pass through.

Places on the road in front of the campsite to the old “Wit Hotel” (info from rode side boards)

Mozambique Boutique Lodge
    Campiso and Chalets
    Montego

Xai-Xai Carets

Chongoene Holiday Resort
    Camping and Chalets

Chongoene Holiday Resort

Zavora camping site
    Place is fair and food is good.

In the Inhambane area:

I did stay at Paindane Beach Resort Inhambane
    Other places in area:
    Jeff’s Palm Resort
    Jangamo Beach Resort
    Seablue Scuba Safaries
    Guinjata Resort
    293-56013
    00258-843737300
    Lighthouse Reef
    Paindane Beach Resort Inhambane
    All in the same area and close by each other.

Another very nice spot just south of Xai-Xai (about 80kms) is Bilene. Its on a lagoon, has both chalets and camping facilities. If you want 5 star camping probably not the spot but if you dont mind an oldish ablution block (it has running water you'll probably love it.

Theres also a gravel road just outside Bilene that will take you to Xai-Xai - not a bad road but can be hazardous to 2x4's in certain spots.

As was mentioned, Vilankoulos offers quite a bit if you're willing to travel (theres a very hairy patch about 70km's south of Vilankoulos with terrible potholes).
    A little camp site called Blue Water Bay is quite nice but has gotten more expensive since ownership changed about 2 years ago. If you do stop there dont eat the Zimbabwean sausage (apparently flown in on charter just for you), its friggin awful!!

If you want to stop over in Maputo on your way north, try Khaya Kwanga on the coastal road - no camping, just chalets (if memory serves its R500 a night) and if you do stop over then Costa de Sol is just down the road - best restaurant in Maputo.

Three tips for you....

1. Dont take photos of police carrying guns, they dont like it and will arrest you.
    2. Keep R300 handy for spot fines (spelt bribe)
    3. Wear you safety belt at all times

Hope you guys have a blast!!

Thanks guys for your comments. I will now start with bookings and see where/what is still available. We will NOT be camping (Instruction from SWAMBO)
    Chris
    Pajero GLX
    Imagine Comfortvan

Zackd4D Guest

Howzit

Just got back from Zavora (http://www.zavoralodge.com/index.html

Lovely place with quite a few bungalows and houses if you don't want to camp. There was a fully operational dive centre doing business so you might wanna check it out as well. Talked to some yank there and he reckon's the diving is best in the world, beating great barrier reef etc

There is no diving info on their website so it is probably a recent development. Roads is also not to bad, if it stays dry.

my apologies, i did not realize that there were dive operators at Zavora. if diving is your game, i highly recommend tofo. i know of a lodge owner up there that is funding some very interesting research on manta rays and whale sharks. apparently it is a hot spot for these fine specimens and from the pics ive seen it looks magnificant. inhaca island is magical and if you are taking your own boat you must plan around the tides as you can only leave/enter the mariner at high tide. i forget the name, but you are able to leave your car there and it is secure. when we were last there, 4years ago, we stayed at the self catering lodge which ive heard has subsequently been flattened. there is a hotel you can stay at on the island. if you are travelling far north, there are a few places about 50km's out of maputo where you can stay (cassa lisa and others). these are the few places ive been to, im sure there are lots more that are just as good. Guinta is easily accessable by 4x4, they have a fishing comp up there once a year and lots of big boats are pulled along that last stretch to the main camp. just remember your tire pressure.
    Hilux Xtra Cab 3.0 D4-D 4x4

Nic

Hi I am heading to Moz in December/ January and am trying to decide where to camp in Xai Xai or Bilene for 2 nights, I am deciding between paradise magoo and Laguna beachwe are looking for rustic, natural camping not too commercial - any advice? Do you know the two sites at all? Or can you recommend any others.

We stayed at Laguna Beach in April, very nice place. each camp site has own toilet and kitchen area. Fully fenced for privacy, stunning views and access to the lagoon. It may be very busy at the rtime you intend to go, it has a restuarant and pub on the premises. Close to town, so the noise levels from the locals where a bit annoying.
    Freddie du Preez
    '97 Defender 90 2.8i (Lots of extras) (SOLD SADLY)
    1999 Disco II V8 Auto (SOLD)
    '07 Disco 3 TDV6 S
    08 Defender 130

We look forward to the time when the Power of Love will replace the Love of Power. Then will our world know the blessings of peace.
    William E. Gladstone