Default Would you buy a Lexus LX470?

I have been a passive member for quite some time and am now in the process of upgrading to a 4*4 tourer.

I was primarily looking for a Prado petrol of about a 2010 vintage. Today I drove a Lexus - but I know nothing about Lexus. Hence the email and a request for input.

The car is a Lexus 2003 LX470 with 176k on the clock. It is in mint condition and very impressive.

My concerns:
    - how serviceable is such a car. I assume there is a fair amount of Cruiser parts that are interchangeable.
    - the age - an 18 year old car
    - consumption - a V8 engine sounds expensive to keep in petrol!
    - price: R400k is a lot of money.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Default Re: Would you buy a Lexus LX470?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeJS View Post
    I have been a passive member for quite some time and am now in the process of upgrading to a 4*4 tourer.

I was primarily looking for a Prado petrol of about a 2010 vintage. Today I drove a Lexus - but I know nothing about Lexus. Hence the email and a request for input.

The car is a Lexus 2003 LX470 with 176k on the clock. It is in mint condition and very impressive.

My concerns:
    - how serviceable is such a car. I assume there is a fair amount of Cruiser parts that are interchangeable.
    - the age - an 18 year old car
    - consumption - a V8 engine sounds expensive to keep in petrol!
    - price: R400k is a lot of money.

Mike
    The LX 470 is a dressed up Land Cruiser VX V8 so will be solid if taken care of
    Consumption is better than the 4.5 EFI. But friend is getting high 5's low 6's with his V8 with > 300k km on
    The price seems very steep for an 18 year old car. Think around 300k would have been more in ball park
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Hi I will agree with Nys the price is quite high. The 2003 Landcruiser 100 V8 A/T 2003 model retail for R 196 300 but you can add a R 100 000 to that annd that is why I agree with Nys. R400 000 is a bit stiff you will get better and much newer 4.0 Prado for that money.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2021 Bushlapa Kewer 2480

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:

For my own interest, is this lexus essentially a cruiser 100? Or 105?
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

For that money I'd much rather buy a Cruiser 100 or Prado.
    You can get a lot of Prado for that money, much newer with similar kilos.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/06/24 at 07:37 PM.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    100. No solid axle in the front

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

No

My reasons:

- how serviceable is such a car. I assume there is a fair amount of Cruiser parts that are interchangeable. No, all lexus parts only, only to be done by lexus
    - the age - an 18 year old car Very old. consider wear and tear on all parts at this age.
    - consumption - a V8 engine sounds expensive to keep in petrol! 4 to 5 km per R17 or whatever petrol price is now
    - price: R400k is a lot of money. new or close to new vehicles available at this price with warranties
    Last edited by willemviljoen; 2021/06/24 at 08:12 PM.
    Defender RAW - current
    Series III 88 - sadly sold

VW Caravelle (wife)

KX450F #78
    KX 65 # 12

handmadeprojects.co.za

I might, the mileage is low, but that price is insane. Looks like someone's added on a huge covid tax and is probably trying their luck.

3 years ago I paid R280K for my 2006 LC 100, R20K over book.

This guy ChowCares posts lots of interesting diy jobs on a LC 100:

Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

Hi Mike,
    I've owned a Lexus LX470 for a number of years and they are great vehicles!
    I noticed the ad online for the one you drove today and it looks in great condition but I'll add my 2 cents worth as follows.

• The price is definitely on the high side. I think I paid R50k less for mine (also 2003) five or six years ago with almost identical mileage then.
    • Check the AHC (Active Height Control) for full functionality (not just the up and down!) but also that the suspension doesnt feel impaired. You can test this by driving each wheel slowly off a pavement curb one at a time and feeling for consistency in the suspension. If one or more is harder, bouncier or softer than another it will likely mean a failing accumulator(s). At this age the gas accumulator "globes" tend to start giving trouble (internal membrane ruptures) and its either an expensive fix to replace the globes (imported) or ripping out the entire AHC suspension and replacing with standard Land Cruiser (or aftermarket Old Man Emu etc) coil suspension.
    • Check service history that the timing belt has been replaced (IIRC by that mileage it should have) - and if so, that the water pump was replaced at the same time. If not get a quote to have the timing belt and water pump replaced (makes sense to do the water pump while the whole front end is removed). Last I checked it was about a R10k job...and that was a good few years ago!
    • Between 2003 / 2004 Lexus changed the transmission from the earlier 4-speed with overdrive to the 5-speed auto box. Most of the SA imports Ive seen of that era have the later 5-speed box (A750F) fitted (good).
    • Check the GPS Navigation system is working properly. The map is CD driven (uses a seperate reader under the drivers seat) and its a known problem issue on these vehicles. CD becomes unreadable over time (which you can't replace or get updates for anymore) whichmeans the whole GPS Nav system doesnt work.
    • Check the C pillars (behind rear doors) for signs of cracking - particularly as this one looks like its been fitted with a large roof rack. Quite a common stress point on these and LC bodies when subjected to loaded roofracks.
    • Check the cruise control settings. Depending on the country of origin (LX470 were all grey imports here) some were "hard programmed" so that the cruise control can't be set for higher speeds e.g. limited to 100km/h and disenagages c/control when speed limit is exceeded.
    • Check the notorious plastic T-piece heater hose connector. These are known to become brittle with age and fail - same as blowing a radiator hose which can cause overheating / blown cyl head gasket. If the plastic T-piece has been replaced it can be a tell-tale of a potential overheating incident which occured. Or of course a savvy ex-owner who replaced it as a precaution. :-)

That all said, the LX470 is basically the Land Cruiser 100 VX (except in petrol) with all the bells and whistles and more - and with many people being much more familiar with the Land Cruiser brand its meant that the grey import Lexus LX470's are not as well known in SA and thus suffered from a resale value perspective (still do) but that also means great deals for those in the know looking for an LX470. The price for this one needs some serious haggling though. I reckon its overpriced by at least R100k relative to what I've seen others advertised for over the last few years.
    Is it a better buy compared to a much later model Prado etc? In all honesty, probably not... well not unless you're hell bent on the creature comforts the LX470 may offer. But from a reliablity and peace of mind perspective (every LX470 owner dreads the spectre of the AHS accumulators packing up) I think if I was to be super honest with myself (as a LX470 fan nogal) a later model Prado or Land Cruiser would be a better bet in terms of all round value for the money you are talking. But knock a R150k off the price of this LX470 and it's a whole new ballgame when it come to how much vehicle you're getting for the money!
    Oh and servicing not an issue at all. Plenty parts as per LC100 and although I have mine done at JB's Auto in CT, previous owner service history was at various Toyota dealerships so definitely doesnt have to be done exclusively at Lexus,
    Good luck!

P.S. consumption wise I average about 4.6km / l in town driving (its my daily drive vehicle). Gets better on the open road if you keep it under 120km/h. Over that or towing anything and the petrol sluice gates open!

P.P.S. Hope the above helps. Feel free to get in touch if you need more info
    Last edited by Learjet; 2021/06/24 at 11:16 PM.
    Dave Lehr
    Richtersveld Wilderness Camp
    Lexus LX470 (Yikes! did a camelthorn just scratch the pearl duco!? )
    Toyota Landcruiser 80GXP (I never should have sold it!!)
    2 x Landrover SIII Shorties (My first loves - and they keep the tools oiled)
    Plus a couple of Range Rover HSE's and Disco's in my time...but please don't remind me.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    LC100 V8 / LX470 basically twins / both IFS suspension but the LX470 has all the bells and whistles and refinements.etc.etc. I remember reading somehwere that the Japs really wanted the Lexus brand to make it in the US market so they really took the luxury spec seriously - Lexus vehicles were all assembled by hand at a seperate production facility and they pulled out all the quality stops - right down to getting more coatings of duco spray (than Landcruisers) and all electrical connections apparently gold-plated etc.
    Last edited by Learjet; 2021/06/24 at 09:49 PM.
    Dave Lehr
    Richtersveld Wilderness Camp
    Lexus LX470 (Yikes! did a camelthorn just scratch the pearl duco!? )
    Toyota Landcruiser 80GXP (I never should have sold it!!)
    2 x Landrover SIII Shorties (My first loves - and they keep the tools oiled)
    Plus a couple of Range Rover HSE's and Disco's in my time...but please don't remind me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Learjet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by willemviljoen View Post
    No

My reasons:

- how serviceable is such a car. I assume there is a fair amount of Cruiser parts that are interchangeable. No, all lexus parts only, only to be done by lexus
    Not true it is a 100GVX Series 4.7V8 with a Lexus badge and Luxuries added. Spares and services can be found and done by all Toyota Dealers.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the input. It is great being part of a forum where you get such great and quick responses!

Apparently the suspension has been completely redone. It was a lovely vehicle to drive.

I think I will pass on this one and continue looking.

Thanks for all the input. It is great being part of a forum where you get such great and quick responses!

Apparently the suspension has been completely redone. It was a lovely vehicle to drive.

I think I will pass on this one and continue looking.
    Or make them an offer??
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Or make them an offer??
    This. They will or have surely been struggling to find buyers at that price point. If you are looking for a comfortable beginner tourer you might want to look at a 2nd gen Fortuner. I don't know what you space needs are but they can be had for less money than a Prado and consumption on the D4D is better. That is if you are looking at Toyota specifically... Other great tourers out there from other brands.. e.g Pajero

A month or two ago there was a 2010 Lexus LX 570 for sale for a bit more money at a Toyota dealer. That money for a 2003 is crazy.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    This. They will or have surely been struggling to find buyers at that price point. If you are looking for a comfortable beginner tourer you might want to look at a 2nd gen Fortuner. I don't know what you space needs are but they can be had for less money than a Prado and consumption on the D4D is better. That is if you are looking at Toyota specifically... Other great tourers out there from other brands.. e.g Pajero
    I have been looking at Pajero. Fortuner - SWAMBO is concerned re security. I would like a Double Cab but it does not suite our current needs. So it narrows the field a bit to Prado or Pajero.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    A month or two ago there was a 2010 Lexus LX 570 for sale for a bit more money at a Toyota dealer. That money for a 2003 is crazy.
    Problem with living near Sandton - will need to widen my search area!

Quote Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
    LC100 V8 / LX470 basically twins / both IFS suspension but the LX470 has all the bells and whistles and refinements.etc.etc. I remember reading somehwere that the Japs really wanted the Lexus brand to make it in the US market so they really took the luxury spec seriously - Lexus vehicles were all assembled by hand at a seperate production facility and they pulled out all the quality stops - right down to getting more coatings of duco spray (than Landcruisers) and all electrical connections apparently gold-plated etc.
    I have a land cruiser cygnus. It is the same vehicle. I have the last year model. 1999. The next one came out as the lx 470. 100% same vehile. Going to sell mine in a few months. Most wonderfull vehicle. Vx la is one class lower

I have been a passive member for quite- price: R400k is a lot of money.

Mike
    R400k is a ridiculous asking price for that vehicle.

Just buy 2 x L322 TDV8. Better spec, 10k/l, it will still be cheaper and one will always be working.
    2009 L322 Vogue TDV8
    1970 Classic 2 door