Default Kazangula Border Crossing Reportback

Botswana to Zambia border crossing 22 June, 2021

A "not so brief" summary of crossing the border from Botswana to Zambia at Kazangula via the new bridge and new border facilities

From Kazangula, Botswana side you merely go through a gate to cross the very impressive bridge (under which we had caught three lovely tiger fish two days earlier).

Once on Zambia territory the fun starts... Another gate where you are personally sprayed off in case you are covered by any dreaded lurgy, then all papers checked, including Passports, Covid certificates, registration papers etc.

Proceed to the Immigration and customs Hall which is shared by both Botswana and Zambia officials

Upon arrival we were met by some 10 border touts in the car park all offering us their services and money exchange (reminiscent of when the ferry was still operating)... Foolishly, I gently told them to B*** off as I knew what I was doing... Not knowing that I would require their services in about two hours time

It is a large hall with the Botswana counters down the LHS, and the Zambia counters front and RHS ... Obviously brand new and well signed for each step

The Botswana protocols were extremely efficient and streamlined... Passports, vehicle export etc... Took no more than 10 minutes.

From what I could determine there were just 4 other travellers in the hall with us ... Two Americans being hosted by a tour guide, a trucker and a Botswana gent going to a funeral... My assumption was we would be out of there in a Jiffy.... Yeah Right!!

Now the REAL fun starts... The Zambia process

Port health - scrutiny of Covid certificates and passport... Straight forward

Road tax (RTSA) ... Requires USD20.00... No other currency accepted despite the very friendly gentleman having two credit card machines on his desk

My first mistake, I had no USD, the next step was to go to the ATM outside and draw some Kwatcha. Unfortunately the ATM had no funds to offer. (I was carrying Pula, Rands and some GBP... assuming I could change any of these should credit card facilities not be accessible)

The very sweet Security Lady outside had pointed out the ATM to me, but failed to inform me of two things - that the ATM was not functioning nor that the Bank was behind the building, however, she was quick to tell me to wait at my car as she will ask one of "her brothers" who will help me "Please wait in your car as it is illegal to change money"... I was wondering exactly what her function was?

Again I gently declined the offer of the services from the touts ... I was insistent that a more legal process must be possible.... So inside I go, back to the road tax counter... After much gentle argument, the truck driver offered me $20.00 in exchange for 210 Pula... I recieve my Road Tax certificate, fortunately I check my documentation as he had entered the wrong registration number of my vehicle.

I was free to proceed, but not before the security guard standing at the counter has to enter the details into the registration book despite everything going electronic (They say the British invented Beaurocracy, The Indians refined it and now I believe Africa has a desire to hold onto it...)

Surely the process must now be straight forward from here...?.... Process yes... But the implementation not!

Immigration... Passport stamped etc straight forward... We were given 30 days entry permit, but can be extended if required. The lady was extremely welcoming and delighted to have tourists arriving

Customs.... Again, extremely friendly and welcoming. Signed my Carnet (we hope to leave the vehicle in Zambia to proceed onto Tanzania at a later stage... Without a Carnet one can only bring the vehicle in for 30 days!)

Whislt at the next desk she br0ought my Carnet Counterfoil back to me and told me I had to have it stamped by Interpol (please have it signed and returned to her)

Carbon Emmisions Tax... From customs we proceed to the next window to pay CET. Some confusion as to whether we actually paid CET with a carnet or not... Eventually the Customs lady came to confirm that we in fact have to pay it. HOWEVER... One needs to pay in Kwatcha... No cards, no USD!...

So in the mean time we have found out that there is a bank on the back side of the building.... So off to the bank we go to buy some Kwatcha ....

"Sorry sir, we only accept USD, GBP or Euros... Will not exchange Pula"...

"Please explain to me why you do not accept Pula from your very elustrious neighbour? "

"For business reasons"

"I am a businessman... Please let me understand the business reasons?"

End of discussion with a sheepish smile ... I can only assume they wish to curtail the flow of African currencies across borders... (I tried to buy Kwatcha in Kz, Botswana at the B de Change, but they too informed me they do not keep Kwatcha... Must be for the very same business reasons!)

Now I have my tail between my legs and I am off to make friends with the touts outside... Big smiles of "I told you so, you will need us eventually"... We agree a rate for Pula to Kwatcha... He gives me an advance and says I only need to pay him once all transactions are complete.... A trustworthy and simple business transaction in the making!

Back to the Emissions Tax counter... Pay my Kwatcha, and in the mean time I also start the next transaction for Bridge Toll fees... they share a desk, but 2 different computers and drawers for money... And, believe it or not, the same revenue stamp

An exchange of change between the two gents and their respective drawers, I count my hard earned funds, take my receipts and boot leg it out of there in search of Interpol

All procedures inside now complete... Proceed to Interpol which is a little office beyond the car park.... Consists of a bench and desk... The officer is sitting in his car either sleeping or on his phone, my new best friend, the Tout, goes to inform him that he has customers...

In the office he gives me a list of documents I need to produce...

Passport

Registration papers

Police clearance

Affidavits etc

(see attached)

"Unfortunately I do not have a police clearance certificate as I am the owner of the vehicle and last time I came in without one"...

(I knew I reqd one, but as my car had been out of SA for 3 years I have been unable to get a certificate ..)

The proof of previous entry seemed to work as he allowed me some slack and "forgave me my indescretion", however I was given a lecture and was given a full preview of what a PCC looks like from all the various countries including Lesotho and Swaziland...

All processes complete, registration book filled in and relevant documents stamped, including Carnet counterfoil...

"Thank you sir, for your understanding... Have a good day"

"No... You are not finished yet... We need to verify your chassis number first"

Checked... No more stamps... And now complete...

Off to next office to buy Third Party insurance ... Actually a Car Bonnet outside serves as their desk, where two gents are selling the necessary insurance. Forms are completed, disc is filled in and the pricely sum of USD65.00 (equiv of Kwatcha 1,460.00) is written on the receipt...

"Excuse me sir... But that is not correct, surely it is not that expensive? I paid less last time!"

"Prices have gone up"

Now I am angry and start to speak to them in Swahili.. To my surprise one fellow answers me back and we commence to debate the ethics of ripping tourists off....

"It is business bwana!"...

I produced my receipt from 2019 of ZMW137.00... Indeed prices have gone up... But only to ZMW162.00...

(Another mistake on my behalf, one can pre-purchase 3rd party from Phoenix Insurance online... Www.phoenixzambia.com)... In fact it is their agent who was the Dollar Entrepreneur and I will be dropping them a line

My new best friend was now really smiling... "Hey Bwana you know Africa!"... I settled my debts with him, bought some more Kwatcha and gave him R50.00 gift for helping me out...

Back to Customs to return my Interpol stamped carnet counterfoil and proceeded to exit the compound more relieved than frustrated.... Eventually we can start our Zambian leg of our safari...

Exit Gate.... "Please vacate your vehicle and produce all the necessary documents"...

These now need to go to the exit gate office to be verified... Its called Creating Employment!

Please proceed to the desk on the pavement to pay your council tax!...

Another ZMW50.00 which goes to the Zambezi County Council

"You may proceed.... Welcome to Zambia"

"Please could you direct me to the closest Shebeen in Kazangula, Zambia?"

So in summary.... The new Bridge is wonderful (how we shall miss the romance of the ferry and a bygone era).... Botswana protocols are amazing. Zambia, don't be a fool like myself and COME PREPARED... It might save you some of 2 and a half hours... I believe when it is busy (more than 4 travellers) it could take up to 4 hours... Upside... Things might improve in future

Total fees to be paid...

Road Tax - USD20.00

Carbon Emission tax - ZMW330.00

Kazangula Bridge Toll - ZMW450.00 (4x4 vehicle)

Third Party Insurance - ZMW162.00

Council tax - ZMW50.00

I hope this will help fellow travellers prepare for their visit to this amazingly friendly country

Name:  IMG_20210623_135210.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  82.1 KB

2. The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Nickeld For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kazangula Border Crossing Reportback

Nice read...Thanks for sharing !

-juha

We crossed there a few years ago - at least the ferry offered some excitement then. It still sounds like the "tourism deterrent office" rather than an immigration and border crossing facility

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell

Quote Originally Posted by Nickeld View Post

A "not so brief" summary of crossing the border from Botswana to Zambia at Kazangula via the new bridge and new border facilities

From Kazangula, Botswana side you merely go through a gate to cross the very impressive bridge (under which we had caught three lovely tiger fish two days earlier).

Once on Zambia territory the fun starts... Another gate where you are personally sprayed off in case you are covered by any dreaded lurgy, then all papers checked, including Passports, Covid certificates, registration papers etc.

Proceed to the Immigration and customs Hall which is shared by both Botswana and Zambia officials

Upon arrival we were met by some 10 border touts in the car park all offering us their services and money exchange (reminiscent of when the ferry was still operating)... Foolishly, I gently told them to B*** off as I knew what I was doing... Not knowing that I would require their services in about two hours time

It is a large hall with the Botswana counters down the LHS, and the Zambia counters front and RHS ... Obviously brand new and well signed for each step

The Botswana protocols were extremely efficient and streamlined... Passports, vehicle export etc... Took no more than 10 minutes.

From what I could determine there were just 4 other travellers in the hall with us ... Two Americans being hosted by a tour guide, a trucker and a Botswana gent going to a funeral... My assumption was we would be out of there in a Jiffy.... Yeah Right!!

Road tax (RTSA) ... Requires USD20.00... No other currency accepted despite the very friendly gentleman having two credit card machines on his desk

My first mistake, I had no USD, the next step was to go to the ATM outside and draw some Kwatcha. Unfortunately the ATM had no funds to offer. (I was carrying Pula, Rands and some GBP... assuming I could change any of these should credit card facilities not be accessible)

The very sweet Security Lady outside had pointed out the ATM to me, but failed to inform me of two things - that the ATM was not functioning nor that the Bank was behind the building, however, she was quick to tell me to wait at my car as she will ask one of "her brothers" who will help me "Please wait in your car as it is illegal to change money"... I was wondering exactly what her function was?

Again I gently declined the offer of the services from the touts ... I was insistent that a more legal process must be possible.... So inside I go, back to the road tax counter... After much gentle argument, the truck driver offered me $20.00 in exchange for 210 Pula... I recieve my Road Tax certificate, fortunately I check my documentation as he had entered the wrong registration number of my vehicle.

I was free to proceed, but not before the security guard standing at the counter has to enter the details into the registration book despite everything going electronic (They say the British invented Beaurocracy, The Indians refined it and now I believe Africa has a desire to hold onto it...)

Surely the process must now be straight forward from here...?.... Process yes... But the implementation not!

Immigration... Passport stamped etc straight forward... We were given 30 days entry permit, but can be extended if required. The lady was extremely welcoming and delighted to have tourists arriving

Customs.... Again, extremely friendly and welcoming. Signed my Carnet (we hope to leave the vehicle in Zambia to proceed onto Tanzania at a later stage... Without a Carnet one can only bring the vehicle in for 30 days!)

Whislt at the next desk she br0ought my Carnet Counterfoil back to me and told me I had to have it stamped by Interpol (please have it signed and returned to her)

Carbon Emmisions Tax... From customs we proceed to the next window to pay CET. Some confusion as to whether we actually paid CET with a carnet or not... Eventually the Customs lady came to confirm that we in fact have to pay it. HOWEVER... One needs to pay in Kwatcha... No cards, no USD!...

So in the mean time we have found out that there is a bank on the back side of the building.... So off to the bank we go to buy some Kwatcha ....

"Please explain to me why you do not accept Pula from your very elustrious neighbour? "

"For business reasons"

End of discussion with a sheepish smile ... I can only assume they wish to curtail the flow of African currencies across borders... (I tried to buy Kwatcha in Kz, Botswana at the B de Change, but they too informed me they do not keep Kwatcha... Must be for the very same business reasons!)

Now I have my tail between my legs and I am off to make friends with the touts outside... Big smiles of "I told you so, you will need us eventually"... We agree a rate for Pula to Kwatcha... He gives me an advance and says I only need to pay him once all transactions are complete.... A trustworthy and simple business transaction in the making!

Back to the Emissions Tax counter... Pay my Kwatcha, and in the mean time I also start the next transaction for Bridge Toll fees... they share a desk, but 2 different computers and drawers for money... And, believe it or not, the same revenue stamp

An exchange of change between the two gents and their respective drawers, I count my hard earned funds, take my receipts and boot leg it out of there in search of Interpol

All procedures inside now complete... Proceed to Interpol which is a little office beyond the car park.... Consists of a bench and desk... The officer is sitting in his car either sleeping or on his phone, my new best friend, the Tout, goes to inform him that he has customers...

Passport

Registration papers

Police clearance

Affidavits etc

(see attached)

"Unfortunately I do not have a police clearance certificate as I am the owner of the vehicle and last time I came in without one"...

(I knew I reqd one, but as my car had been out of SA for 3 years I have been unable to get a certificate ..)

The proof of previous entry seemed to work as he allowed me some slack and "forgave me my indescretion", however I was given a lecture and was given a full preview of what a PCC looks like from all the various countries including Lesotho and Swaziland...

All processes complete, registration book filled in and relevant documents stamped, including Carnet counterfoil...

Off to next office to buy Third Party insurance ... Actually a Car Bonnet outside serves as their desk, where two gents are selling the necessary insurance. Forms are completed, disc is filled in and the pricely sum of USD65.00 (equiv of Kwatcha 1,460.00) is written on the receipt...

"Excuse me sir... But that is not correct, surely it is not that expensive? I paid less last time!"

"Prices have gone up"

Now I am angry and start to speak to them in Swahili.. To my surprise one fellow answers me back and we commence to debate the ethics of ripping tourists off....

I produced my receipt from 2019 of ZMW137.00... Indeed prices have gone up... But only to ZMW162.00...

(Another mistake on my behalf, one can pre-purchase 3rd party from Phoenix Insurance online... Www.phoenixzambia.com)... In fact it is their agent who was the Dollar Entrepreneur and I will be dropping them a line

My new best friend was now really smiling... "Hey Bwana you know Africa!"... I settled my debts with him, bought some more Kwatcha and gave him R50.00 gift for helping me out...

Back to Customs to return my Interpol stamped carnet counterfoil and proceeded to exit the compound more relieved than frustrated.... Eventually we can start our Zambian leg of our safari...

Exit Gate.... "Please vacate your vehicle and produce all the necessary documents"...

These now need to go to the exit gate office to be verified... Its called Creating Employment!

So in summary.... The new Bridge is wonderful (how we shall miss the romance of the ferry and a bygone era).... Botswana protocols are amazing. Zambia, don't be a fool like myself and COME PREPARED... It might save you some of 2 and a half hours... I believe when it is busy (more than 4 travellers) it could take up to 4 hours... Upside... Things might improve in future

Total fees to be paid...

Road Tax - USD20.00

Council tax - ZMW50.00

I hope this will help fellow travellers prepare for their visit to this amazingly friendly country

Thank you for sharing. So you didnít have to do another PCR covid test at the border as well and wait there?

Yeah, no thanks, after my last experience in 2019 I decided that I would never go back to Zambia. Bureaucracy gone absolutely out of control. With no systems.

Another problem is that for the Road Tax document you need to specify the route and furthest destination that you will be travelling to. And remember that you do not know the names of the districts that various destinations are located in, and neither do the assistants behind the counters. If they get this wrong this results in large fines at roadblocks along the way.

I didn't bother, but one of my fellow travelers appealed the fines, but they did not even respond. Details of Department on Road Tax document.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    Thank you for sharing. So you didnít have to do another PCR covid test at the border as well and wait there?
    No. PCR test with 72 hour validity was sufficient

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nickeld For This Useful Post:

I am curious, you say you have a Carnet. In which country is your vehicle registered? And did they show you what the SA police clearance should look like? I ask because I am convinced such a document does not exist.

The photo of the Interpol notice is also not clear. My information from Zambians is that this notice only applies to Zambian registered vehicles. I passed through this border many times and once was asked for police clearance, but I told them it is not issued by SAPS and they let me off.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Sounds pretty much like my entry and exit in Kano Nigeria, except I cannot remember all the points I had to pass through. Well done to you for recalling that!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    I am curious, you say you have a Carnet. In which country is your vehicle registered? And did they show you what the SA police clearance should look like? I ask because I am convinced such a document does not exist.

The photo of the Interpol notice is also not clear. My information from Zambians is that this notice only applies to Zambian registered vehicles. I passed through this border many times and once was asked for police clearance, but I told them it is not issued by SAPS and they let me off.
    With my SA registered vehicle they insisted on a police clearance. I was forewarned, and got one here in Joburg (Doornfontein), but that was a mission in itself, that section is a SH. One of my fellow travelers did not have one, that was a major problem, they wanted to fine him R2000. He eventually got through with a R1000 fine. IMO all of those fines disappear into back pockets.

Not a pleasant experience to go through that border, it is a disgrace, and it does not appear as if the new building resulted in any improvements. Talking about the Zambia side, of course.

Not for me, although the country itself is a nice place to visit.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jola For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post

Hi Groenie... An SA registered vehicle with Carnet issued in SA by the AA.

Whilst they insisted on an SA police clearance, I was able to show him that I had entered Zambia before without a PC.

Yes, he did show me the SA document... I should have taken a pic. I know they do exist but only obtainable at designated offices (you will find relevant posts somewhere on here) and the vehicle must be present.

Border post at Chirundu insists on a PC apparently

Thanks for sharing - very helpful!

I'm reminded of several other border crossings - in particular Malawi to Tanzania - wouldn't accept cash - had to be a credit card, but the credit card machine was not working (along with a number of other inconveniences) - finally a local insurance agent agreed to use their business account to pay for us, and we reimbursed him in cash.

Thank you! This was helpful for me crossing into Zambia yesterday.

Maybe you can include this update in your original post, but there is now an official office for 3rd party insurance at the passenger terminal. So just go there and they quote the official prices (162 for 3months, or 278 for 6months).
    So perhaps the 3rd party scam is a thing of the past.

Our experience (although a bit long), was good (other than a problem with botswana immigration which I will explain elsewhere in my botswana trip report).

I was extremely intimated about this border, and it was much easier than expected (provided you have your docs in order).

Regarding police clearance, we didn't have one. I tried extremely hard to get one, but no saps office I visited (even at the SA border) would issue one.

We were told "you should have one for next time", and that was it, no suggestions of a bribe needed or anything.

I didn't want to say I knew about it and couldn't get one, and jeopardise the lenient stance that was given.

It's hard to say, someone else could have issues with this. But we are now the 3rd person in a row that they have just "let off" for not having it.
    They just inspect the vehicle (they actually check the VIN and engine number which is good imo).

Regarding all the fees. I think all of them are a good thing, if they are actually being used for the alleged purpose. All in all roughly R1000.
    2017 Land Cruiser D/Cab 4.2D with Alucab Ossewa 4sleeper camper

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    Thank you! This was helpful for me crossing into Zambia yesterday.
    Regarding all the fees. I think all of them are a good thing, if they are actually being used for the alleged purpose. All in all roughly R1000.

LOL!!!

Thank you so much for this. It is really helpful. Hope it improves and people keep posting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nickeld View Post

"For business reasons"

Passport

Registration papers

Police clearance

Affidavits etc

(see attached)

"Prices have gone up"

Total fees to be paid...

Road Tax - USD20.00

Council tax - ZMW50.00

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    They ask carbon tax but from now on they burn down the whole Zambia veld.

Sound if the Border crossing is a bit better organized.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/07/11 at 06:33 PM.
    Johan Kriel