Default Thieves unlocking locked Ranger

Hi

A friend of mine's laptop etc was stolen from his locked Ford Ranger. He has video footage of him locking it (indicators flashing) and checking the door handle. He then walks away to do some shopping. Then a vehicle approaches and his Ranger's indicators flash, indicating that it has been unlocked. Someone steals his stuff. Then the indicators flash again (Ranger locked) and the other vehicle drives away.

I did not know this was possible, unless somehow the perpetrators had a 2nd key(remote) for his vehicle. Are we living in times where thieves have the technology to 'clone' our remotes when we use them? Or is there some other explanation?

This does not look like jamming as I understood it.

Thanks

Default Re: Thieves unlocking locked Ranger

probably a device that "recorded" the signal and was able to replicate the lock/unlock signal
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto

2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5
    Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4..._as=subscriber

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CornellMans For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idea40 View Post
    Hi

A friend of mine's laptop etc was stolen from his locked Ford Ranger. He has video footage of him locking it (indicators flashing) and checking the door handle. He then walks away to do some shopping. Then a vehicle approaches and his Ranger's indicators flash, indicating that it has been unlocked. Someone steals his stuff. Then the indicators flash again (Ranger locked) and the other vehicle drives away.

I did not know this was possible, unless somehow the perpetrators had a 2nd key(remote) for his vehicle. Are we living in times where thieves have the technology to 'clone' our remotes when we use them? Or is there some other explanation?

Thanks
    Most likely possible that they had a duplicate key that was obtained from Ford. There have been stories about this.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Hi

Thanks
    This was discussed in another thread.

Either a second key, or some device that can pick up the signal from the remote and clone it.

Scary yes.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

In the old days, new alarm systems came out with code hopping alarms. Don't know if that still exists. The thieves also carry code grabbers.. If that is the right name.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    Most likely possible that they had a duplicate key that was obtained from Ford. There have been stories about this.
    most likely a signal cloning device. I’m not sure getting spare keys from Ford would be a viable option. Replacement keys for modern cars are seriously expensive, and they would be to some extent vehicle specific…. I doubt it would be worth the effort. Unless they are getting some kind of master key from Ford.

cool way to get a new laptop..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

There have been couple threads on this topic with links to well researched studies. Some of these "computerized" cars are easier to steal than the old style.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

they manage to unlock and lock it.
    sure they could start it as well.
    why take laptop only?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Code cloning the remote.

It won't start because there is no key detected, only the code to unlock it.

Happened here in Randjespark as well recently to a colleague. Polo, CCTV shows him locking, they reverse into the parking next door, open the car via remote signal, went through the boot, removed laptop from bag as well as cell phones, zipped bag up again and locked and left.

Theft was only picked up when the guys got to work, way too late by that time. Actually hit 2 cars in the parking lot that morning.

Actually seen footage from a year or two ago, of a Porche Cayenne, they parked next door and you can see a guy in the back seat with a laptop, accomplice gets out and checks doors about 4 times before they hit the jackpot. Obviously had an App with the Porche particulars and went through a few variants.

Hi

Thanks
    Would be keen to know if his insurance paid out with all that evidence...there has however been no forced entry.
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006