Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Three phase Qualters and Smith Power Hacksaw (Donkey Saw) Restoration

I thought I would share SOME of my journey in restoring a Qualters and Smith Power Hacksaw.

I bought an old donkey saw because I need to cut metal from time to time and a grinder is so noisy and dirty.

I also love older solid built machinery, they sure don't build them like they used too.

This is the photos of the Qualters and Smith Power Hacksaw listing I bought on FB marketplace.

The plan was to restore the saw and use it in my home "workshop".

But first, here is the brochure of the saw.

I collected the saw in my pickup truck and the seller kindly loaded the saw with a forklift.
    Unfortunately, I did not have the luxury of a forklift once I got home, so I called a few friends over to quickly lift the saw off the truck.

Major miscalculation! It is HEAVY. After a few trial lifts, we swallowed our pride and decided to strip the saw down slightly to avoid damage to either the saw, the truck or ourselves while attempting to lift it off.

Even with the saw 'split in half, it was still pretty heavy.

We got the saw on a little temporary trolley and I washed it down a few days later.

Looking much better with most of the old grease/oil and grime washed off.

The original motor is a Hoover 0.66HP, 950RPM, 380/440V three-phase motor.
    As I do not have three-phase power available I decided to run the saw with a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) which turns 1 phase power to three phase power.

The problem was, the motor was only wired for STAR at 380v/440v and my inverter only outputs 220v.

Both the front and rear bearings of the motor has got a grease nipple for lubrication.

I had some help on a forum and one of the members mentioned that you can rewire a motor manually so that it can operate in DELTA mode if the connections are not already at the connection plate, allowing me to use my VFD to run the motor. So, I opened the motor up to try and find the STAR point in the windings (3 wires joined together).

I did not want to open up all the joints and tried to disturb the windings as little as possible so I basically stared at the windings for 10 minutes to try and find where three wires would join together.

FOUND IT! On my first try. First timer luck I guess.

I tested the the individual points and labelled them up. I then soldered new wires onto the points and ran them to the connection plate which meant the motor is now wired in DELTA and I could use 220v 3 phase power to run it.

I made sure to update the motor plate.

With the motor now running, I greased and oiled all the working parts of the saw and done a few test cuts.

The first job for the now running saw, was to cut some angle iron for me to build a better trolley.

The bigger castors allowed me to move the saw around much easier.

It was time to restore the saw.

The hydraulic cylinder leaked pretty badly, so I decided that is where I would start.

The old oil looked pretty milky. Water must have got in when it stood outside at the previous owner or when I washed the saw down.

The oil had to go!

The cream coloured seal was the culprit of the pretty bad hydraulic leak. In the end I just got oil O rings and placed them over the two 'shafts'. There is still a very slight leak but it is much better than before.

While stripping the saw down I found the bronze bushings (there was two) in the pulley to be worn.

Unfortunately, the pulley shaft too.

While the shaft (19.05mm OD) can be easily removed from the casting, making a new one with a grease channel and grease nipple without a lathe was not.

I got an ample length of stainless steel 19.05mm rod from eBay because I anticipated messing up the first attempt. The plan was to try and clamp the rod somehow and then drill the grease channel with my pillar drill.

The first attempt at drilling the hole in the new shaft.
    The hole is not in the middle by any means. However, it does not need to be. I claim success!

The old and new shaft next to each other.

On to some painting!

I stripped most of the old paint off with a grinder fitted with a flapdisc and then used an aerosol primer.

Topcoat looking very very red.

Stripping, cleaning and removing the paint from some more parts.

With a uncharacteristically Herculian strength I managed to lift the top part off the frame.
    The hard part was done.

While washing the base down and it being slippery from the degreaser, I managed to drop it on my toes.

Shield your eyes from the next photo!

Ok ok, it does not look that bad but it bloody hurt. A Lot!
    Safety boots are in order.

Much better. No pesky cast iron saw parts can get me now!

Reassembly of the now painted parts. I had to muster the strength once again to get the top part of the saw back onto the frame.

Reminder of how it looked at the start.

The finished article!

As a bonus, here is short youtube video of the saw cutting. It is mesmerizing!

Since making the video I have:
    Got some wiring clips and attached the wires to the saw body and connected the auto switch off switch.

I also mounted the start switch and stop switch with a potentiometer (for speed control) on the side of the saw.

I got an enclosure to mount my VFDs in to protect them from dust.

Thanks for looking at my donkey saw brought back to life.

Leave a comment or ask away if there is something you are unsure off.
    Last edited by Smous; 2021/06/23 at 01:29 AM.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Smous For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Three phase Qualters and Smith Power Hacksaw (Donkey Saw) Restoration

Job well done congrats. My dad built his own power saw cutter from scratch and used a 1ph motor. To be honest, I always hoped his blade would brake or wear out so I could make knife blades from them
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Three phase Qualters and Smith Power Hacksaw (Donkey Saw) Restoration

Oh whow!

Great job!
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Very interesting. Love the blue on it.

It's surprisingly quiet if you take into account that it's cutting through metal.

Where does the cooling liquid go after?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Very nice, well done.
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ViperR For This Useful Post:

Wow. Awesome.

Realy well done.
    Everybody needs to believe in something.... I believe I will have another Beer!

Travel Blog: https://since1652.wordpress.com/

https://www.instagram.com/since1652travel/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Papsak For This Useful Post:

Great job. Well done!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ejay For This Useful Post:

Beautiful and satisfying I'm sure! Well done!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Thank you all for your kind comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Very interesting. Love the blue on it.

It's surprisingly quiet if you take into account that it's cutting through metal.

Where does the cooling liquid go after?
    Emmie, it is much quieter than a grinder that is for sure. If I close the garage door I could cut metal until late into the night .

The oil and water mix coolant gets recycled. It runs through a hole in the saw body through a pipe (our garden hose is now a little shorter) into a small container in the main tank.

The small container should then catch any swarf and small pieces of metal at the bottom and the excess coolant spills over into the main tank.

The small container can then be cleaned regularly to remove all the swarf.

It is a simple but effective design.

Ps. The saw has been working and it is very dirty compared to the photos I took when I just finished restoring it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Smous For This Useful Post:

BRAVO, job well done.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulWW For This Useful Post:

Very professionally done, love the blue.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Robbief For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smous View Post
    Thank you all for your kind comments.

Emmie, it is much quieter than a grinder that is for sure. If I close the garage door I could cut metal until late into the night .

The oil and water mix coolant gets recycled. It runs through a hole in the saw body through a pipe (our garden hose is now a little shorter) into a small container in the main tank.

The small container should then catch any swarf and small pieces of metal at the bottom and the excess coolant spills over into the main tank.

The small container can then be cleaned regularly to remove all the swarf.

It is a simple but effective design.

Ps. The saw has been working and it is very dirty compared to the photos I took when I just finished restoring it.
    Do yourself a favor. Get some fine mesh and fashion a type of small dome sieve to fit onto the drain hole ie it must stick up. As per flow of cutting fluid, the swath or bits of fine metal will end up clogging up hole and damaging pick up pump. The sieve bottom section will prevent metal filings going into tank, whilst rest of fluid will get sucked in above metal filing. A magnet close to sieve will also capture a lot of the metal filings.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Do yourself a favor. Get some fine mesh and fashion a type of small dome sieve to fit onto the drain hole ie it must stick up. As per flow of cutting fluid, the swath or bits of fine metal will end up clogging up hole and damaging pick up pump. The sieve bottom section will prevent metal filings going into tank, whilst rest of fluid will get sucked in above metal filing. A magnet close to sieve will also capture a lot of the metal filings.
    Good idea! I will definitely consider the sieve as an option.
    I like the magnet idea too, I could potentially just drop it into the first small container.

However, most of the swarf never makes it to the drain hole for two reasons:
    1. Metal tend to sink in the coolant
    2. There is a ridge where the coolant needs to flow over before it gets to the drain hole.

That being said, I have not used the saw enough to give an accurate answer on the potential of swarf entering the pump system.

See the photos below of the ridge.

Very nicely done. I found it interesting that you can change a motor from star to delta. What other tools are running off vfds. You need to get a lathe. Is the coolant just running off a plug point.

Awesome job, Smous! I love seeing old tools like this brought back to life.

Just one thing I noticed. I am assuming that the blade cuts on the backward stroke ie. the teeth of the blade face the pivot side of the saw. There is (or should be) a small cam that lifts the blade on the forward stroke so as not to drag the teeth backward across the steel.

The timing on the saw appears to be a little off, or the cam is a little worn. If you slow your clip down to speed you will notice that the blade lift momentarily just before the end of the backward stroke, but is then in full contact with the material being cut on the forward stroke.

I remember having to make a new cam to replace the worn one on our "Great Captain" at school. It was a real PITA, but the blades lasted a lot longer.

Here is a clip of a "Great Captain" as it should work. The difference here is the the GC cuts on the forward stroke.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Very nicely done. I found it interesting that you can change a motor from star to delta. What other tools are running off vfds. You need to get a lathe. Is the coolant just running off a plug point.
    Thank you.

Yes I never knew you could rewire a motor manually to DELTA either. Only found that out this year. However, you always run the risk of damaging the windings if you are not careful.

The coolant pump is a very simple but effective design. It runs on its own belt fed from the the pulley that gets fed from the motor (if that makes sense, confused myself there). It has got two mechanical gears inside which pushes the coolant through the pump.

I don't have a photo of the inside of the pump but I do have one when I tested it for leaks powered by my drill.

I have a Meddings M4 pillar drill (similar model is shown here http://www.lathes.co.uk/meddingsdrills1960/) and a RJH Bandfacer linisher running off the other two VFDs.

Both machines are older solid built British engineered machines which I restored.

You are right though, I NEED a lathe. Nevermind that I have never used a metal lathe or have the space to keep one.

First order of business is to buy a new property with a bigger workshop!

According to my calculations I am just 200k short for a nice property with 2 acres of land.
    Last edited by Smous; 2021/06/23 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Need for lathe

Like a clapper box on a shaping machine.

Meddings are high quality.Will beat any brand new chinese unit of today. What do you do.? Is your linisher 4 inch. I want to build one but not sure what size motor I can get away with.

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Awesome job, Smous! I love seeing old tools like this brought back to life.

Just one thing I noticed. I am assuming that the blade cuts on the backward stroke ie. the teeth of the blade face the pivot side of the saw. There is (or should be) a small cam that lifts the blade on the forward stroke so as not to drag the teeth backward across the steel.

The timing on the saw appears to be a little off, or the cam is a little worn. If you slow your clip down to speed you will notice that the blade lift momentarily just before the end of the backward stroke, but is then in full contact with the material being cut on the forward stroke.

I remember having to make a new cam to replace the worn one on our "Great Captain" at school. It was a real PITA, but the blades lasted a lot longer.

Here is a clip of a "Great Captain" as it should work. The difference here is the the GC cuts on the forward stroke.
    Thank you.

Yes, my saw cuts on the return stroke and the blade should lift up on the forward stroke.

Mine works with the hydraulic lift cylinder and it does lift the blade to a degree on the forward stroke.

The saw in the video you linked works very well in lifting the blade off the work piece. I am not sure how to get mine to work better.

The circled part is the cam driving the plunger on the hydraulic lift cylinder.

It connects to the rod (item 165) which 'pumps' the hydraulic cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Meddings are high quality.Will beat any brand new chinese unit of today. What do you do.? Is your linisher 4 inch. I want to build one but not sure what size motor I can get away with.
    That Meddings drill is awesome and so good with a VFD (basically infinite speed adjustment). The drill itself also have a High and Low gearbox which further helps with speed adjustments without having to mess around with the pulleys.

The linisher belt length is 915mm (I know because I ordered some more belts for it yesterday). In regards to the motor, mine is a 750W motor.

I only got the linisher up and running a week ago and have used it very little. The first job was to bevel 100mm x 100mm x 10mm plates in preparation for welding them to 100mm x 100mm hollow section steel legs. The legs will be for my new welding table and the castors will screw into the plates.

I will personally not go below a 750w motor. I managed to bog it down slightly bevelling my plates.

imgur (the place I host all my photos) have just gone down. I will use another website to host these images. Hope they work.

In regards to what I do, I am in the British Army so all the things I do in my garage is just as a hobby. I love going into my garage and having the tools available to do whatever I fancy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast