Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What can go wrong.

I see you can buy kits for solar solutions from four panels ,to eight ,sixteen ,take your pic. So lets say you choose a small set up ,lets say 50k worth that has four x445w panels, an inverter and a lithium battery.
    But you are renting so want to do it as simple as possible. Is it possible to just put your main db switch off and then just use a three prong fifteen amp lug and just plug it into the nearest wall socket from your inverter. Obviously keeping the geyser off. If you need to heat the geyser up just put the mains back on untill its hot enough.

Is this a good way of doing it. ? What can go wrong.?

Default Re: What can go wrong.

This is dangerous. Remember that plug from the inverter will have power on.
    Being a rented property you might have to get permission to erect panels to the structure and it might have to be left unless some arrangement is made with the owner.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    This is dangerous. Remember that plug from the inverter will have power on.
    Being a rented property you might have to get permission to erect panels to the structure and it might have to be left unless some arrangement is made with the owner.
    But if you are careful ,will it work and prevent you from having to open up the db board and do wiring . Surely if you are careful ,nothing can go wrong.The landlord and bodycorp have given permission.

U have to turn off the main supply breaker or else you will blow up the inverter if the power is off and suddenly came back on. In this case I will run leads from inverter to house

5. The Following User Says Thank You to circe For This Useful Post:

You will have lexposed live parts. Accidents happen so you are looking for trouble. It is also illegal.

This is definitely the easiest and cheapest way but by far the most dangerous way. Most people say they are very careful when driving but it does happen that they do get involved in an accident. Will you be happy to live in a house without any circuit breaker protection or an earthleakage? In essence this is what you will have when you supply through a socket. There is a lot of cons doing it this way and the worst is you or a family member can loose a life. Rather do it the correct and safe way.
    Please don't do it.
    Toyota Land Cruiser 76 4.5D V8 "Matchbox". Toyota Hi-Lux D4D 4x4 "Willebees" (My daily drive). Afrispoor Cheetah 2-Sleeper Easy Camper. Hyundai i20 1.6 (SWAMBO's daily drive).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HermanvdW For This Useful Post:

3 weeks ago a client of mine feeding via a plug socket forgot to switch of his genny before plugging in his inverter and blew the inverter. Both were fed to the house via plug sockets. It worked well for him for 9 months - until that one day......

I'm no sparky, but, Is it not possible, from an electrical view, to wire the db with some affordable "plugable" solution, where the tenant can unplug his solar system when moving out, but the "plugable" solution is safe and legal?
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I see you can buy kits for solar solutions from four panels ,to eight ,sixteen ,take your pic. So lets say you choose a small set up ,lets say 50k worth that has four x445w panels, an inverter and a lithium battery.
    But you are renting so want to do it as simple as possible. Is it possible to just put your main db switch off and then just use a three prong fifteen amp lug and just plug it into the nearest wall socket from your inverter. Obviously keeping the geyser off. If you need to heat the geyser up just put the mains back on untill its hot enough.

Many people, myself included have done this cowboy way of providing power via wall socket. It works fine if you are very disciplined and careful.

But.......what makes your suggestion however much more dangerous, is because this is mostly done with generators as a short stint temporary backup for load shedding. So you are aware of the generator noise at all times and know you have to switch it off.

What you're contemplating is a semi permanent alternative power source which is silent and will run for extended periods of time, and thus more prone to be forgotten.

The best is to get an electrician to at the very least install it with a proper changeover switch via DB so that it is only possible to have either the grid, or the inverter on.
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HermanvdW View Post
    This is definitely the easiest and cheapest way but by far the most dangerous way. Most people say they are very careful when driving but it does happen that they do get involved in an accident. Will you be happy to live in a house without any circuit breaker protection or an earthleakage? In essence this is what you will have when you supply through a socket. There is a lot of cons doing it this way and the worst is you or a family member can loose a life. Rather do it the correct and safe way.
    Please don't do it.
    Why will it compromise the earth leakage. Can a solar inverter create enough oomph to kill you. Can a generator also kill you. He told me he used to do this with his generator in his last rented house and it worked quite well.

Hell yes!!

My solar system has something like 300V DC on the one string. That will bite

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceB For This Useful Post:

Why will it compromise the earth leakage. Can a solar inverter create enough oomph to kill you. Can a generator also kill you. He told me he used to do this with his generator in his last rented house and it worked quite well.
    It only takes around 100mA to kill you. At 220V your inverter will not break a sweat killing you.

I am not sure Solar is an option in a rented house unless the owner installs. As mentioned by others, most leases will have a clause that permanent fixtures become property of the landlord. So you are potentially upgrading the owners property at your expense. I would say don't do it.

If you need an alternative source, get one of those ellies all in one battery inverter things that will run a few devices during load shedding and run them off an extension cord.

What you are proposing probably can be done physically, but is so highly not recommended that you should not even consider it.

... what if earth leakage , circuit breaker
    protection was used between the inverter
    and the wall feed-in ... would that not be just as safe as the fixed mains system ?
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

No, it is not a good way of doing it.

You, or worse one of your family members, grandchild or friends could die and you will be held criminally liable.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Many people, myself included have done this cowboy way of providing power via wall socket. It works fine if you are very disciplined and careful.

But.......what makes your suggestion however much more dangerous, is because this is mostly done with generators as a short stint temporary backup for load shedding. So you are aware of the generator noise at all times and know you have to switch it off.

What you're contemplating is a semi permanent alternative power source which is silent and will run for extended periods of time, and thus more prone to be forgotten.

The best is to get an electrician to at the very least install it with a proper changeover switch via DB so that it is only possible to have either the grid, or the inverter on.
    Agreed.

And when wanting to switch on the geyser via die DB, the whole solar system needs to be disconnected and the house is dark during the time the geyser warms up.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Are you trying to save money on electricity from Solar or are you trying to do a UPS for load shedding.

Eskom power is still by far the cheapest power we have right now, so unless you take a very long term view and have a desire to be more green or you just think eff you Eskom, leave out the panels.

So we are left with a load shedding system. Do the same thing you were going to do with the "reverse" plug socket, but bypass the plug and socket and have it wired directly into the db with a change over contactor or switch.

or

Do as advised by others above and get one of the Ellies or Mecer Inverter Battery combo's on wheels.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    It only takes around 100mA to kill you. At 220V your inverter will not break a sweat killing you.

What you are proposing probably can be done physically, but is so highly not recommended that you should not even consider it.
    I wouldnt do it. Hes a mate of mine, always knows better. An antivaccer, Trump lover, and believes the earth is flat. Highly intelligent and stupid at the same time. A total conspiracy theorist dude who loves to swim upstream.
    Im just trying to find reasons why he shouldnt do it but Im probably wasting my breath..

Hell yes!!

My solar system has something like 300V DC on the one string. That will bite

We all have / do.

But the gennie makes a noise, so I know to switch it off and unplug it when Eskom joins the party again. I have a much less chance of getting electrocuted by my gennie, as it will be screaming at me, where as an inverter is silent and harmless, like a snake, until you step on it.

Well beyond the obvious dangers a "suicide" cable present, it is illegal to use, if something were to go wrong with the system and say the house burnt down insurance
    wouldn't even bat an eyelid to deny a claim.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast