Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default MICE Problem in CKGR

Yesterday I met an RSA couple at Deception Valley, who had to cancel their CKGR trip after just one night due to mice infestation. Mice are believed to eat vehicle electrical and rubber bits.
    They still had a week in Botswana. I advised them to go to Khwai office, when they get to Maun, and book the remainder of their holiday at Khwai Magotho.

But the troubling part, is some travelers are bringing JEYES fluids and Spill around their vehicles (see picture) as a mice deterrent. When we arrived at KORI 1, we found the fluid spread around what seemed like when the vehicle was packed. It was smelling terrible around campsite. It took a lot of effort to remove. This will get worse if we all start doing this. No one has to arrive at camp and clean this kind of waste, after driving whole day.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:

Default Re: MICE Problem in CKGR

Just returned from CKGR and camped at Passarge 1. I can confirm the rats were a major issue there as well. We used the Marder spray by Liqui Moly and it seemed to have worked as we had no major damage to our vehicles. We left the bonnets open and this did not seem like a major deterrent.

The mice and rats would chew anything they could get to that were not spayed. Even the caps on the tire valves. We had to put everything that they are interested in into mice/rat proof places.

That is part of what you get at CKGR as we had mice/rats infestations, ant infestations and major tampan tick infestations before. It comes with the territory of spending amazing times in nature that few places still offer. We were there for 10 days and saw other people on only 2 of the days.

When we were at Sunday Pan waterhole I saw a silver 200 cruiser being towed by a double cab bakkie. Not sure if it was someone from the forum.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Barend For This Useful Post:

I thought people use Jeyes fluid to deter lions from chewing their tyres?

They shouldn’t be using it for anything in that environment.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

For those more experienced, what SHOULD one do to avoid mice & rats chewing on bits of wiring? Obviously one doesn't want to create an ecological disaster but at the same time if you are traveling solo a mouse chewing through the cables and leaving you stranded can be disastrous

I'd also want to know, and hope they are gone by December.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    ‘18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    ‘19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    For those more experienced, .....
    I cannot say this from experience because we never had a severe mice plague in the CKGR yet, but people seem to say that Marder spray from Liqui Moly works.

We always just kept the bonnet open. From recent feedback though, keeping the bonnets open even with lights shining into the engine bay, did not have a deterring effect.

Throwing Jeyes on the ground is freaking crazy. It gets sticky and the smell lingers for very long. I doubt it has any effect as a mouse repellant.

The mice is a serious and potentially very costly issue, but really...... Jeyes fluid??
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/06/22 at 09:21 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Id also be interested to know.
    On our last Bots trip (gosh, four years ago now!!), through chobe, savuti etc, mine and my FILs cars got chowed by mice. Thankfully no wires (that we know of), but my engine cover seemed to be a favourite, as well as my FILs steering wheel. I had one in the car for weeks afterwards and finally got him with a mouse trap.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

We have used doom coil burners under the car as a deterrent.
    one of the things we do is keep the lower part of back door closed, the section that folds down, and have actually seen that the mice can then not get into the vehicle if all other doors closed.
    have also put moth balls around the edge of engine bay.

have also experienced a mouse eating wires and brought him home and caught with a trap in the garage. such a shame.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Clean engine bays- not good. I actually smear grease all over wires and stuff with a paint brush. Especially vacuum tubes and fire wall plugs. Messy but it works wonders. As for the car interior just keep em doors closed....
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/06/22 at 10:30 AM.
    Don’t blame yourself over past mistakes. It’s like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

have just bought some stuff called "Rat Repellent" in an aerosol can. Will report back at end July after a sojourn at Leopard and Piper pan.
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

15. The Following User Says Thank You to trooper For This Useful Post:

I have seen people use moth balls in a stocking tied to a pipe or something in the engine bay.
    Apparently that works, but the car will smell like moth balls inside.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

17. The Following User Says Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    I have seen people use moth balls in a stocking tied to a pipe or something in the engine bay.
    Apparently that works, but the car will smell like moth balls inside.
    No it does not always work unfortunately. There have been quite few posts on the DriveBots facebook page of people experiencing the mice plague recently, some tried moth balls and still had wires chewed. The only thing that consistently seem to work is the Marder spray.

My other concern is that moth balls are poisonous. If a mouse eats it, it will probably die in due course, but while it is still alive after ingesting the some of the moth balls it may cause secondary poisoning in animals which prey on mice like snakes, jackals, foxes and owls.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/06/22 at 04:18 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

What is the reason for the infestation? Seasonal? Rainfall? Lack of natural enemies?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Had a mouse in my drawer system in 2019 and I accidentally killed the little bugger when I closed the drawer. Realising this I knew that there would a big stink at some point.

Took the cover of the loadbed off with much effort and gave the little man a bush funeral!

Will post the mix we use as learnt on the LCCSA site. A mix I carry similar to the Marder one. Gonna carry that as well.

Heard of some folk who had to lowbed 2 vehicles out of CKGR at hectic inconvenience some years ago.

Solution to the rat problem.

A posting of the CKGR rat problem last year - Extract

Use Raw Capsicum.

It is sold in liquid form under the trade name "Fire Sauce".

Harmless but very, very potent.

The forestry people use it to stop the buck and porcupines from eating seedlings.

For agricultural use you dilute it 20:1 but rodents are fearsome things. I dilute it 4:1 and put some in an old hand pump spray bottle like a Clean Green container.

Add a teaspoon of Actipron (sticking agent) and spray it over anything plastic or rubber in your engine compartment.

Works like a charm.

The rats won't go near it.

Lasts three or four months.

Just remember to warn your mechanic not to lick his fingers or wipe his eyes or rub his nose when working on your Cruiser!

Oh yes. Also remember to wash your own hands after spraying it. And never go to the toilet before washing your hands either!

Looks like it might work with hi-jackers as well!
    Last edited by ed rouillard; 2021/06/22 at 05:10 PM.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    What is the reason for the infestation? Seasonal? Rainfall? Lack of natural enemies?
    Also drought. Last time we were in the CKGR, my BIL crushed his beer can and placed it next to his chair. A few moments later it was pulled away by a mouse, obviously after it's moisture content.

He was quite a quite fellow - he had not detected our vehicle rubber bits. We then cut the can near the bottom to leave a saucer, into which we poured some water for the mouse, and placed it near the entrance to his burrow in the base of a tree.

The little fellow the proceeded to pull this saucer into his burrow, spilling most of it, as the entrance was smaller than the beer can saucer. Felt sorry for him then. Luckily he (she?) never looked further at our vehicles....
    Mike Lauterbach

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

A farmer’s wife told me to put blobs of Vics on the chasis of the car. It works for them on the farm. I’ve never tried it, never had to luckily. We were there when the silver LC was towed to the side of the road and left there for the dealer to come fetch. Spoke to the owner. And while that was going on we were spared fortunately.

uhm, how about taking your cat with...
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

27. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    uhm, how about taking your cat with...
    Or a thousand mouse traps……

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Kudus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kudus View Post
    Or a thousand mouse traps……
    Unfortunately they are part of the eco system. We once asked management in a certain game reserve to spray the picnic tables and benches to kill the ticks which had congregated there. They said that is not going to happen as they are part of the eco system.

But, what would probably work is one of the big non-lethal mouse box traps. Catch them all there with food and water, and release them when you leave
    Mike Lauterbach

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast