Default 2010, 3.0 D4D, Furtuner the stealer and the Turbo

Hi guys

So i take the Fortuner to the stealers for its 420 000km service, i do 2 services myself then the 3rd one i normally just take it to them for a check up. Owned the vehicle from 50 000km's, only issue ever had was a slave cylinder on the clutch that wen kapoet around 115 00km. Other than that normal service and maintenance on the vehicle.

So i drop it off by them, they phone me to tell me the CV on the left from wheel need to be overhauled. I expected this so i give them the go ahead to fix as they only charged R2500.00 which is not too bad.

Then, casually they asked if the could replace the Turbo!! I was like, ok no why what is wrong with the Turbo? Long story short they didn't replace the Turbo and when i got there to pick up the vehicle I asked why the wanted to replace it and the sales lady just said "no she thinks it is making a whistling sound"

So this got me thinking, the Turbo has done 425 000km's and it still runs fine. It does have a bit of a whistle but nothing serious and it has been whistling for the past 100K km's.

Is there any maintenance you can do on a Turbo that is this old? Just to give some love and care to make it go another 425K km's?

Default Re: 2010, 3.0 D4D, Furtuner the stealer and the Turbo

I drive a Land Rover so 425000km is out of my realm of expertise, let alone what you should do to the turbo for another 425000km expected lifespan.
    I think Iíll just watch this thread in amazement. I am very impressed.
    Mark Prutton

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prune For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prune View Post
    I drive a Land Rover so 425000km is out of my realm of expertise, let alone what you should do to the turbo for another 425000km expected lifespan.
    I think Iíll just watch this thread in amazement. I am very impressed.
    classic

My Troopie is on 400kkm and I had the turbo off the other day. Just about no play on the shaft, but the compression impeller has some wear.

But not asking to be replaced yet.

What I am saying, if the play is minimal, and the boost is still on par, keep it going.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Check the exhaust "coupling" on the turbo, something like that. I've got a little whine as well, my indi tells me there is a membrane type coupling that is blowing and causing the noise. Done 250k. I'll get more info tomorrow, I didn't really listen, collected the vehicle from him 4 days before a 3 week trip to Bots so wasn't going to have it seen to, but I know the noise is worse now, 4,500km later.

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    My Troopie is on 400kkm and I had the turbo off the other day. Just about no play on the shaft, but the compression impeller has some wear.

But not asking to be replaced yet.

What I am saying, if the play is minimal, and the boost is still on par, keep it going.
    I was thinking along the same line, Why Fiddle with something that is working fine........