Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 79 DC 1HZ vs V6

Default Re: 79 DC 1HZ vs V6

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Whenever i sit with a decision like that I draw up a table to show me the differences in the actual cost.

Attachment 619878

When I started doing this I changed over to Petrol vehicles, but my KM's are way less and it works out differently. Now though even with higher km's I would stay with petrol, I got spoiled by the smooth ride and power.
    With this spreadsheet, it is clear that the V6 is a no-go.

You were concerned about long term costs. R200k more on the V6 after 8 years is hectic.

I think you have your answer. Let us know what you decide [mention]Scheepers85 [/mention]
    Sent from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post

You were concerned about long term costs. R200k more on the V6 after 8 years is hectic.

I think you have your answer. Let us know what you decide [mention]Scheepers85 [/mention]

haha, I had decided before I even started this thread. The reality is it has to be the 1HZÖ. No matter how hard I am trying to convince myself otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    haha, I had decided before I even started this thread. The reality is it has to be the 1HZÖ. No matter how hard I am trying to convince myself otherwise
    On TSA website you can compare the maintenance plan cost for both vehicles, then you may think twice.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/06/21 at 05:10 PM.
    Johan Kriel

haha, I had decided before I even started this thread. The reality is it has to be the 1HZ…. No matter how hard I am trying to convince myself otherwise

Seeing that you are planning on keeping the LC for a long time at work and for yourself afterwards, wouldn't the financing of the V8 make sense? You said you did consider the 1GR-FE. It would be 260k more expensive in fuel over 8 years than the 1HZ, at current fuel prices that is and provided the V6 actually does give you the stated fuel economy. So wouldn't it make sense to pay less than half of that difference, about 90k on the 1VD-FTV V8 and get it over with?
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2021/06/21 at 05:08 PM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

my concern with this comparison between the 1HZ and the 1GR, is that the realistic real world consumption figures for the 1GR will be no where near the claimed ones. Towing, or even just fully loaded, if you cruise at 120, that 1GR will be closer to 17l/100, and off road, it is very thirsty.

The 1HZ is slow, but gets close to itís claimed figures under real world working conditions. The argument could be just to slow down a bit with the 1GR, but if Iím going to be driving 20% slower just to save fuel, I may as well have just bought the 1HZ anyway.
    Ö

I have a V6 Single cab fitted with a Bush Lapa Bosluis2 and as such the cruiser is continously carryin a full payload or more.. and fuel consumption seems to be directly proportional to how heavy my foot is. At 80-90km/h i get 14,7L/100 and on average getting 17,2L/100 and worst 27,36/100 in soft sand
    so ja, buy the 1HZ for work and afterwards buy V6...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

6. The Following User Says Thank You to putta For This Useful Post:

That fuel price comparison is definitely not what I see at our local pumps?
    Secondly the 1HZ absolutely sucks fuel when towing a heavy load, I suspect even more than the v6. That said I base this on a single trip in a 1HZ with a 3 bike trailer, we must have been averaging 25L/100km vs 18 on my v6 Hilux ( yes not a true like for like comparison ), at similar voet in die hoek driving conditions.

Finally, that 1HZ can’t pull the skin off a rice pudding when loaded. I personally can’t handle such a slow car on the highway.
    Last edited by AfricaOffroad; 2021/06/21 at 06:28 PM.

I can state that you wont see 12,7 l/100km on the 1HZ. At best more like 15.
    The trailer you want to pull, almost disqualifies the 1HZ.
    They don't like anchors and they don't like tar, everywhere else they are the king of AfricaÖ.

Maybe save the extra 100k and buy the V8. That would serve your current needs best.
    Must say, I drive my Cruisers long and use them well. Im not sure what the long term(note, not high mileage) use the 1VD would give, would we still be able to economically keep the V8 on the road in 20 years time wrt to maintenance cost?
    I have no doubt about the 1HZ( then it would be a 50 year old designÖ..)

A constant 100km/h with a 1 HZ is optimistic...

Especially where hills are involved. Speed can quickly drop to 60/70.

I love my 1hz, but towing is REALLY unpleasant.

Offroad is something altogether different!

Despite the extra cost - I'd go for the V8 - if it's in any way possible.

Just my 2c.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricaOffroad View Post
    That fuel price comparison is definitely not what I see at our local pumps?
    Secondly the 1HZ absolutely sucks fuel when towing a heavy load, I suspect even more than the v6. That said I base this on a single trip in a 1HZ with a 3 bike trailer, we must have been averaging 25L/100km vs 18 on my v6 Hilux ( yes not a true like for like comparison ), at similar voet in die hoek driving conditions.

Finally, that 1HZ can’t pull the skin off a rice pudding when loaded. I personally can’t handle such a slow car on the highway.
    I got those prices from google, I havent seen fuel prices recently. does anyone have the correct prices?
    Last edited by Bex; 2021/06/21 at 10:49 PM.

Iím sitting with a bit of a head/heart struggle now, needing to make a choice between these two.

the vehicle must be bought new, and it must be a 79. So donít even try convince me I need a pajero or an Amarok. The first two points are non negotiable.

The car will have a hard life, and be expected to wear many hats. It will be used to cover long distances at last twice a month, carrying up to 4 occupants, and will be loaded during these trips. It will also need to tow large but not heavy trailers on these cross country trips from time to time. between 800 - 1000kgs), and then get used on site for some heavy duty off-road work, the kind of work only cruisers and old school defender pick ups can do. It will be loaded with rocks and sand, it will transport fencing equipment, avgas drums and other stuff that damages softer bakkies long before the service plan expires.

it will be expected to do this work for at least 8 years, by which time it will long since have paid for itself, and I would then like to retire it, as my own personal hunting fishing and camping/exploring vehicle.

unfortunately, the V8 is just too expensive. So itís a non starter to even consider it.

So I have to choose between the donkey 1HZ and the V6. I have lots of experience driving both. I know the V6 is going to be much better on the open road, but low range bundu bashing the 1HZ is better.

in terms of the long term life I am expecting from the car, I also know the 1HZ trumps there, as it will still be running on unfiltered waste cooling oil long after fossil fuel production has ceased, but Iím worried about living with it on the open road towing with a full load. I know it will happily do it all day at 100-110, but overtaking trucks and so on is a pain.

with the V6 though, consumption is a serious concern, especially on a car that will be doing at least 50k km a year, and is a work tool, that needs to be paying for itself. On paper the consumption is not that big a difference between them, Toyota claim 14.4/100 for the V6 and 12.2 for the 1HZ, but I know, Iím reality, towing with the 1HZ at 100kmh I will get close to the stated figures, but with the V6 it will be a whole lot closer to 18Ö. Or am I wrong.

so I guess my questions actually after a very long ramble:

In real life, how heavy is the V6 when towing (lets be honest and say if I went of the V6 I would probably be cruising closer to 120 instead of 110, which would be my limit on the 1HZ)?

And secondly, considering I want this car to keep live a very tough life for 6 years, and then continue living a tough, but more recreational life for at least another 10 after that, would the V6 survive?

and lastly, even though I said above not to suggest anything other than a cruiser, should there be any other vehicles on my shortlist? If Nissan did a Dcab patrol pick up, I would consider that, but for some reason they donít believe there is a market for that, amd since the Defender 130 is no longer on the market, and I must buy new, what else could one consider?
    Hi Scheepers. I do not want to move off your thread but I find your dilemma very intresting. I have a similar one but mine concerns my company. .

Briefly I have in the OFS an operation that requires transport of 5 men everyday with equipment 150km away from the production plant. Currently I use 3 x 3lt D4D's with a double axel trailer behind each vehicle. My vehicles all are over or near the 500 000 km mark. Serviced regularly but their life span is coming to an end.

I firstly do not see myself paying a huge price for a new vehicle and seeing it within 5 years loosing all its value. So I have gone a different route. Last month I bought an 80 series SUV. It is been cut up chassis lengthened and basically I will have a double cab with a full length bak on the back. Petrol will be expensive but here's the thing. It will cost in total R300k to do it. Ballies off road are doing it for me.

I will I believe get much more value for my money. Forget about the price of fuel at 5km to a liter it is much cheaper with this than a new vehicle . For me the advantages are that I have a powerfull engine a safe and comfortable drive for my occupants as well as a big bak to put on all my maintenence equipment.

I did this with a 105 a year and a half ago and put a bosluis2 on the back. So I feel comfortable enough with this concept to give it a go. I have also seen since I did the initial conversion another farmer near me has followed suit. He too has converted a toyota SUV into a single cab bakkie.

I will be keen to in a couple of years compare notes. The only difference between your route you are taking and mine will be you are the permanent driver. In my case not so and this factor is a major concern for me. If I was only driver I might have considered your route.

If this trial vehicle works for me I will most probably follow suit with the other 2 vehicles.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Khakibush For This Useful Post:

I have never owned a 1HZ Cruiser but are familiar with them. Have spend many hours in one. Nice low down grunt for farm work. It does not love towing. Just does not have enough power and torque. Handle loads quite well.

The 1GR in the v6 deliver 170kW @ 5200rpm and 360Nm at 3800rpm. Little high up the range. You need to keep it in the higher rpm range to perform. Sometimes the V6 will surprise you with the torque available. Have done some serious trips in my v6 SC which include rock crawling. Not the best crawler but once you get to know the engine and keep momentum it is not that bad. Only the Amarok V6 with it latest 190kW engine makes more power. Talking about 4x4 DC`s. Even the 360Nm is on par with many of the older diesel turbo pickups.

I know it is not in your sight but the v8 would be the better tow vehicle. When doing open tar road trips `n prefer the v6. When towing heavy the v8 is King
    Last edited by grips; 2021/06/22 at 09:28 AM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Ya, starting to think I must maybe just look for a 2 year old V8 diesel and call it a day. The other issue is then though, what is the long term lifespan of the V8. Is it still going to be usable at 400k km, like we all know the 1HZ will be.

I you do a lot of reasonable heavy towing then the V8 is definitely the choice, and have less oil changes then the 1HZ .

But the 1Hz will definitely outlive the V8.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post

But the 1Hz will definitely outlive the V8.
    What do you base this statement on?
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Few things on the v8 that the 1Hz don't have that might give you trouble.
    Johan Kriel

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    the 1HZ will fpdefinately outlive pretty much anything else on the market right now. It is about as simple as they come. Not a single electronic control on that motor. As good as modern electrical systems are, chips do fail, soldering degrades, wires rub and short out. They are very good and reliable, but will need complex parts replaced at some point, and the death of most electronically controlled engines is the unavailability of replacement sensors and switches 10 years after they go out of production,

so based on that. I think itís accurate the 1HZ will outlast the V8, the question is by how much/long

The V8 is such an under stressed motor and very well built, I think the only thing that will kill it is bad maintenance and or dirty diesel/air/oil.

Although the 1HZ is more resilient when it comes to bad treatment, it also don't last if badly treated.

As an engine I don't fear the V8. The technology is pretty similar to the D4D and it is well proven how well they last when looked after.

For the perceived longevity of the 1 HZ you have to weigh up the negatives as well, which are plenty.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Ya, starting to think I must maybe just look for a 2 year old V8 diesel and call it a day. The other issue is then though, what is the long term lifespan of the V8. Is it still going to be usable at 400k km, like we all know the 1HZ will be.
    Toyota technician told me that seeing V8`s with 500k km is quite common these days. They are around since 2014. I have yet to hear about a catastrophic engine failure. Knows about one injector and a few turbo replacements. The ones with the failed turbo`s were all mapped or chipped.
    Maybe JWR or Francois Theron will have more accurate info. Francois son is a Technician with Toyota.

I saw on the Ausie Cruiser Club they reported 400k km without too much issues on the V8. On Construction sites here the D4D do easily 300 km, but more then that is a bonus.
    Johan Kriel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast