Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Drinking vessels

I like to keep it simple :-)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210620_144752.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	619759

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Diversions View Post
    Hi Guys.

Have a look here:

www.atlasware.co.za
    I looked at the Atlasware range a while back and from what I can see it's just rebranded generic Chinese double walled stainless steel bottles, they just about all work really well.

I got the cheapest unbranded one I could find on Takealot and it works like a champ.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/06/20 at 03:34 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I have been looking for something to drink out of that feels just right in my hand.

I'm quite tactile defensive, so therefore am fussy about how things feel that I have to touch regularly.

As if that is not enough to contend with I'm also fussy about the temperature of my water. I can't stand lukewarm water that was in a water bottle all day in the car.

After lots of water bottles discarded in disappointment I eventually came across Atlasware flasks.

It's one of modern life's best inventions in my opinion.
    Emmie, have you tried any other steel flasks of similar shape?

As Skylark says, there are several differently branded ones out there, which seem very similar.

We got 2 Leisurequip bottles and another Discovery Channel branded one. We haven't used them for cold stuff yet, but they keep coffee hot, real hot, for hours.
    Around R 270 at Game for the 500 ml ones.

Got a larger Stanley bottle, too. The first one I ever bought was faulty, after 2-3 hours coffee was cold. Got it swapped for a new one and it works really well, too. But it's a very different kind of bottle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210620_153801.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	619760
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    I looked at the Atlasware range a while back and from what I can see it's just rebranded generic Chinese double walled stainless steel bottles, they just about all work really well.

I got the cheapest unbranded one I could find on Takealot and it works like a champ.
    No, it's not. There's a significant difference. Atlasware is not made in China. Because they are so popular, everyone else is copying their design. It's not just a double wall. There is some kind of propietary cooling stuff in between. Which is exactly my point. Unlike the others where there's little to choose, this one actually delivers.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Emmie, have you tried any other steel flasks of similar shape?

As Skylark says, there are several differently branded ones out there, which seem very similar.

We got 2 Leisurequip bottles and another Discovery Channel branded one. We haven't used them for cold stuff yet, but they keep coffee hot, real hot, for hours.
    Around R 270 at Game for the 500 ml ones.

Got a larger Stanley bottle, too. The first one I ever bought was faulty, after 2-3 hours coffee was cold. Got it swapped for a new one and it works really well, too. But it's a very different kind of bottle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210620_153801.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	32.2 KB 
ID:	619760
    I did some comparisons with bottles belonging to family and colleagues who felt it was not worth the investment. They were the generic ones from supermarkets. There was a distinct difference.

But I guess each of us have a different level of acceptability. I am unusually strict in my requirements. I just can't stand the taste of bath water. I want my water to be tap water at worst, no matter how hot the day.

No need to overinvest if it's not a priority for you.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    The Atlas flasks are indeed way ahead of others - as Stan has said - even a Stanley.
    But -
    • I have had two leaking ones (not the proppies)
    • The proppies are really difficult to open with hands that have seen a lifetime of wear and tare, like mine.
    I'm sorry to hear that.

I have a number of them and distributed some more as gifts to those around me. I only had the one cap malfunction. All use their flasks regularly and nobody has reported any issues to me. Maybe I was just lucky. But after so many I accepted that the quality is good.

I hope you find a solution that is viable for your level of mobility. I will keep an eye out if I see something that looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    I like to keep it simple :-)Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210620_144752.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	619759
    You must drive very smoothly.

I did some comparisons with bottles belonging to family and colleagues who felt it was not worth the investment. They were the generic ones from supermarkets. There was a distinct difference.

But I guess each of us have a different level of acceptability. I am unusually strict in my requirements. I just can't stand the taste of bath water. I want my water to be tap water at worst, no matter how hot the day.

No need to overinvest if it's not a priority for you.
    Thanks, good to know that there is a difference in quality, not just in price.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

We use Atlasware as well. 500ml bottles for in the car, with a swop-out bag in the back seat.

It used to be an issue cooling down water and wasting space in the fridge.
    We recently got a National Luna ice maker, and those cubes fit nicely down the neck of the Atlas. So now we no longer cool down water - we just pop a number of cubes down each bottle and then fill up with ambient temperature water. Robert is married to your dad's sister. Worked a charm in Kruger in November last year.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

Just got the 1 litre Atlas at our local Kooperasie.

Actually wanted the 700ml, but the 1 litre is almost the same height (issue for me, it MUST fit in that tail bag), so 1 litre it is.

Nice and simple piece of equipment.

Thanks again for the Thread, I no longer will have that "oh shucks" moment when arriving at a campsite or stopping along the road with the old bike

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Should one do anything with a new flask, like it a sort of "run in" or something??

Maybe fill with bpiling water and check for leaks or something??

This one will ONLY either hold water with ice particles (for a dop at the site later) or then boiling water - I wont make coffee in it.

I usually give mine a scrub with dish liquid and then rinse very thoroughly with boiling water to get rid of the dish soap and any potential dish soap taste. If you let it lie on its side it will become clear quickly if it's leaking even with tap water in it.

It takes more energy to find an icecube that will fit through the neck of the flask. So make sure you test it timeously in case you have to go icecube tray hunting. Luckily the 1L has the slightly wider neck.

You may want to add boiling water to it and play around to see at what rate it cools for your acceptability levels as that will determine usage.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

What colour Petri?

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Just got the 1 litre Atlas at our local Kooperasie.

Actually wanted the 700ml, but the 1 litre is almost the same height (issue for me, it MUST fit in that tail bag), so 1 litre it is.

Nice and simple piece of equipment.

Thanks again for the Thread, I no longer will have that "oh shucks" moment when arriving at a campsite or stopping along the road with the old bike

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I hope it's not the inside of worm green. That's the worst one I have seen.

Hahaha. It will work for alternative substances too as I'm sure water is an alien concept for many.

Just remember metal is reactive. So test before the grammadoelas.
    Thanks for the thread.

What do you mean by this?
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Thanks for the thread.

What do you mean by this?
    I mean that I'm paranoid.

Metal is theoretically inert in metal drinking cups etc which is why its chosen. But there is a huge difference between theory and reality. I'm sure you have put something in your metal camping cup and thought "Oh, that tastes strange". It was probably because the surface of the metal had a small reaction to what was in the cup.

Very few substances are truly inert. All metals have a measure of activity. Some metals like aluminum or Sodium are extremely reactive. Some, like gold are hardly reactive at all. So I was talking in a scientific sense, not really in a kitchen or consumer sense. It can be so small as to be undetectable by taste or experience. But every now and again...

I worked in a lab for too long and I was the lucky winner that often had to look for contamination in our apparatus. We work at a parts per million and a parts per billion scale. You will be amazed what caused the contamination. It has given me a severe paranoia about things I eat and drink out of being clean. I acknowledge freely it's disproportionate, but we all have our little quirks.

I mostly use glass and if given any choice I will always eat and drink out of glass. It's one of the few things that once you have washed it, it really is clean. But, that's not always possible. Glass is not the perfect vessel for freezing, for example. Or for keeping your water from turning into bath water in a hot car.

So I keep my flasks separate. Only one gets juice in it. Only one gets coffee and tea in it. The others are purely for water. Only one gets used for alcohol. I don't mix and match because I am not interested in finding out what my flask will taste like after one of these substances decided to oxidise, or chew up the inside liner, or decided to attach some part of itself onto the wall of my flask. And if it happens, I want to know which drink was the culprit. I don't want to drink water that tastes like second hand coffee or tea. Remember, most commercial drinks will have colourants, stablizers, preservatives in it. You don't know what it's going to do in an environment different to what they sell it in. There's a reason it's in a can with a treated inside, or in a glass bottle, or only in a plastic nature of a specific kind. They come up with new additives continually. So even if you have a good idea today, by next year that might be old news. My palate is quite subtle and I pick up other tastes easily in water. Most people probably won't notice or care.

It's my paranoia mostly, but I still think it would be good decision making to test any new drink in your flask before going out into the back of beyond.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

I fully agree.

Tea in my double walled stainless mugs (not Atlas) tastes awful.
    Coffee not so bad.

And I don't actually care for the taste of stainless with water.

Glass is King!

But a thirsty biker in the Kalahari won't be bothered by any of this.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

I mean that I'm paranoid.

Metal is theoretically inert in metal drinking cups etc which is why its chosen. But there is a huge difference between theory and reality. I'm sure you have put something in your metal camping cup and thought "Oh, that tastes strange". It was probably because the surface of the metal had a small reaction to what was in the cup.

Very few substances are truly inert. All metals have a measure of activity. Some metals like aluminum or Sodium are extremely reactive. Some, like gold are hardly reactive at all. So I was talking in a scientific sense, not really in a kitchen or consumer sense. It can be so small as to be undetectable by taste or experience. But every now and again...

I worked in a lab for too long and I was the lucky winner that often had to look for contamination in our apparatus. We work at a parts per million and a parts per billion scale. You will be amazed what caused the contamination. It has given me a severe paranoia about things I eat and drink out of being clean. I acknowledge freely it's disproportionate, but we all have our little quirks.

I mostly use glass and if given any choice I will always eat and drink out of glass. It's one of the few things that once you have washed it, it really is clean. But, that's not always possible. Glass is not the perfect vessel for freezing, for example. Or for keeping your water from turning into bath water in a hot car.

So I keep my flasks separate. Only one gets juice in it. Only one gets coffee and tea in it. The others are purely for water. Only one gets used for alcohol. I don't mix and match because I am not interested in finding out what my flask will taste like after one of these substances decided to oxidise, or chew up the inside liner, or decided to attach some part of itself onto the wall of my flask. And if it happens, I want to know which drink was the culprit. I don't want to drink water that tastes like second hand coffee or tea. Remember, most commercial drinks will have colourants, stablizers, preservatives in it. You don't know what it's going to do in an environment different to what they sell it in. There's a reason it's in a can with a treated inside, or in a glass bottle, or only in a plastic nature of a specific kind. They come up with new additives continually. So even if you have a good idea today, by next year that might be old news. My palate is quite subtle and I pick up other tastes easily in water. Most people probably won't notice or care.

It's my paranoia mostly, but I still think it would be good decision making to test any new drink in your flask before going out into the back of beyond.
    Bewaar die familielid se siel wat jou flesse gebruik en die verkeerde vloeistof daarin gebruik - hell have no fury.....

Ek neem aan die res van die familie weet om jou goed uit te los!
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

Quote Originally Posted by Die SwartKat View Post
    Bewaar die familielid se siel wat jou flesse gebruik en die verkeerde vloeistof daarin gebruik - hell have no fury.....

Ek neem aan die res van die familie weet om jou goed uit te los!
    My gesin is klein en daar is geen kinders nie. So ek skep nie konflik situasies nie.

Agree on the taste, that's why beer in a bottle tastes different from beer in a can and both of those again taste different in a proper beer glass.

In practice I don't care what goes in to my Stanley's though, water, coffee, tea, Energade, Coke, brandy, ready mix, I've done it all.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast