Default Non lethal predator management possibility

I “found” Dr Peter Apps on a Facebook forum. His work on predator conflict management makes for interesting and exciting reading. Seems like there may well be a win win scenario developing.

The link is to a short, easy to read, summary of his work and results so far.

https://www.bpctrust.org/bioboundary...sOp1_7F0p7cCF0
    2004 Facelift Disco 2 - Raine - sold
    2006 Defender 110 csw - Jaeger

"Land Rovers don't get stuck, people do, so always look before you leap and if you're unsure, don't do it" Chris Horne

Too busy searching for brownies to go anywhere, but some of the places these guys hide are as good as a holiday

Default Re: Non lethal predator management possibility

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Newnham View Post
    I “found” Dr Peter Apps on a Facebook forum. His work on predator conflict management makes for interesting and exciting reading. Seems like there may well be a win win scenario developing.

The link is to a short, easy to read, summary of his work and results so far.

https://www.bpctrust.org/bioboundary...sOp1_7F0p7cCF0
    This is awesome.

The only issue I can see is if these animals are repelled, where are they repelled to? A farmer (who does not have the bioboundary) between four or five farmers (who does), will probably see a huge increase in predators.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

This would work really well on the farm where the sheep are penned every night to protect them from the jackal. Unfortunately penning them in the same place every night with electric fencing and jackal proof fencing brings its own set of problems like footrot etc.

With this the sheep can be kept in a smallish camp at night with strategic scent sites to keep the jackal away. We don't have a problem with them in general on the farm, but shoot them relentlessly anywhere on the farm as eventually they find their way to the sheep.

I wonder if they have found anything to repel 2 legged jackal?
    Last edited by LandyAndy; 2021/06/18 at 10:32 AM.
    Andrew Beuster

Amarok milk bottle

"So really , you are not so smart , you are a old Oomie that has to much time on his hands" - Christo Meisenheimer

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post
    This would work really well on the farm where the sheep are penned every night to protect them from the jackal. Unfortunately penning them in the same place every night with electric fencing and jackal proof fencing brings its own set of problems like footrot etc.

With this the sheep can be kept in a smallish camp at night with strategic scent sites to keep the jackal away. We don't have a problem with them in general on the farm, but shoot them relentlessly anywhere on the farm as eventually they find their way to the sheep.

Used in the right combination, this works really well:

Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by LandyAndy View Post

Penning does not work I have doen it.

1000 sheep in a kraal dirties wool, you get severe trampling if a jackal does get in. He does find a way. Smaller kraals are not practical. I know Alan Savoury the father of HDSD grazing kraals all his stock in Zim every night. He has mobile kraals and it works well for old grass knock down but is very labour intensive. He has a team that does it every day. This is cattle only as they have a leopard problem. Again with sheep it does not work.

We unfortunately have to shoot jackal and rooicat.

There is an area in SA, (no names) where they solved the 2 legged jackal problem very quickly.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.