Default intermittant no start, opinions please

For the past week been having an intermittent no start (as attached). I've replaced fuel filter and did a fuel pump flow check. According to the manual flow should be 0.38 litres minimum / 15 sec, this one is 0.65litres.

There is no stuttering, misfire or hiccup once the engine runs, power is as its always been. Yesterday completed a 500km trip with no issue apart from the starting problem.

Check-engine-lamp is off and doesn't flash. No issue with key transponder. Idle control valve cleaned and appears to be functional. Vehicle is 9yrs old with 190 000km.

I have it booked for a diagnostic scan in the morning but I'm not holding any hope that a scan would identify the problem.

From the attached 26secs and 40secs is most telling I reckon, any suggestions on what the problem may be ?

edit: intermittent
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by RussellF; 2021/06/17 at 07:19 PM.

Default Re: intermittant no start, opinions please

What vehicle is it? To me it sounds like a timing issue which points to crank or cam sensor/sender. Most probably crank sender
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the reply Francois, vehicle is a KB240.

Hayes Motors conducted an OBD scan this morning which revealed all is within spec and with clean crank position and coil pack signals.

The guys at Hayes suggested the starter motor as the likely culprit. Without a sample they could only source a replacement ex-factory (at over R8k) and with Monday as the earliest delivery date.

With no other straw to grasp, this afternoon I removed and overhauled the starter : tested armature for continuity, bushes were okay and fitted a new brush assembly (original brushes were not particularly worn, I suspect the brush springs may not have been applying sufficient pressure). I didn't inspect the solenoid contacts.

Of the dozen or so starts since refitting the starter the issue has not manifested. The next days will tell whether the starter was indeed the culprit.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RussellF For This Useful Post:

I agree the problem is the starter motor. Check the solenoid or connections to the solenoid. Have found many burned contacts on them in the past. Also could be a bad winding on the armature. The solenoid earth goes to the earth brush set. If there is a bad winding it will interfere with the solenoid earth. One can jippo that by removing the earth strap from the solenoid and solder a separate wire to it. Then earth the solenoid to the starter body.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post: