Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small generator

Default Small generator

Hi guys,

So for the 4th time in 4 weeks our local substation has been vandalised, and since none of the DA ward councillors in our are seem to give a rats butt about helping
    us escalate the issue to get the substation secured (as it stands unlocked) I find myself contemplating buying a small generator.
    The main idea would be to run router / wifi, electric fence and alarm system and some lights, and maybe even a TV.

Buying a unit big enough to do a fridge would be nice, but I start to wonder if its actually really necessary in order to accommodate for 4-6 hours of power outage.
    Also the bigger they get the more petrol they need which is partly why I am looking at smaller.
    What sort of petrol usage do the smaller 950w - 1200 generators use, the 2 I am considering are below, the details are a bit sketchy about their fuel needs, they
    claim the 950w is a 4L tank that goes 6 hours, the 1200 inverter claims 5L tank for 6 hours.

Any thoughts around these smaller generators?
    I believe a 2 stroke model needs more maintenance than a 4 stroke, any ideas on what that would mean in real terms?

https://ryobi.co.za/products/generat...cooled-rg-950/
    https://ryobi.co.za/products/1200w-i...rame-rg-1280i/
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Default Re: Small generator

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    Hi guys,

So for the 4th time in 4 weeks our local substation has been vandalised, and since none of the DA ward councillors in our are seem to give a rats butt about helping
    us escalate the issue to get the substation secured (as it stands unlocked) I find myself contemplating buying a small generator.
    The main idea would be to run router / wifi, electric fence and alarm system and some lights, and maybe even a TV.

Buying a unit big enough to do a fridge would be nice, but I start to wonder if its actually really necessary in order to accommodate for 4-6 hours of power outage.
    Also the bigger they get the more petrol they need which is partly why I am looking at smaller.
    What sort of petrol usage do the smaller 950w - 1200 generators use, the 2 I am considering are below, the details are a bit sketchy about their fuel needs, they
    claim the 950w is a 4L tank that goes 6 hours, the 1200 inverter claims 5L tank for 6 hours.

Any thoughts around these smaller generators?
    I believe a 2 stroke model needs more maintenance than a 4 stroke, any ideas on what that would mean in real terms?

https://ryobi.co.za/products/generat...cooled-rg-950/
    https://ryobi.co.za/products/1200w-i...rame-rg-1280i/
    We had a 950w. It was enough for a few lights and a b/w tv.
    Rather get a 6.5kw petrol or a diesel one. With that u can run the whole house. Have a look at ardenhorf website.
    Last edited by circe; 2021/06/17 at 12:16 AM.

I have a ryobi 7.5 and it is just too noisy and heavy on fuel. Got a fong kong 2kva inverter silent now and it runs all I need. Importantly it runs 2 fridges and the wifi and even the 12000btu inverter aircon.

The 7.5 runs the geyser but uses even more fuel like that so not worth it. Want to convert one shower to gas geyser later

The fong kong is silent and sips fuel and has been going for years now. If it breaks I will replace with 3kva Honda. Expensive but so worth it I think.

however everyones needs differ but I prefer silent, 3kva max and light on fuel.
    Wimpie Nel
    Discovery 5
    “Don’t start chasing applause and acclaim. That way lies madness.”- Ron Swanson

Personally I think going to small is a waste of money. I wouldn't go smaller than a 5.5kva. Regardless if you want to use the extra oomph or not but atleast there is spare capacity should you need it.
    I was of similar opinion a while ago but now when the power goes off. I can run my 3x fridges a light or two computers, wifi, 2 tv's and still run the kettle the odd time for a cup of tea.
    GaryG

Honda Civic Type R
    - Daily Drive
    Isuzu KB 250 Xrider - Swambo
    Grand Cherokee WK2 Hemi - Sold
    4.0 XJ Jeep Cherokee - Sold

Bird Valley Estate Cramond Kzn outside Pietermaritzburg

Quote Originally Posted by Blikka View Post
    I have a ryobi 7.5 and it is just too noisy and heavy on fuel. Got a fong kong 2kva inverter silent now and it runs all I need. Importantly it runs 2 fridges and the wifi and even the 12000btu inverter aircon.

The 7.5 runs the geyser but uses even more fuel like that so not worth it. Want to convert one shower to gas geyser later

The fong kong is silent and sips fuel and has been going for years now. If it breaks I will replace with 3kva Honda. Expensive but so worth it I think.

however everyones needs differ but I prefer silent, 3kva max and light on fuel.
    I have the Ryobi RG6900 which is 5.5 kva
    In my new house shortly will get it properly wired in and looking at a noise box
    Anyone have any experience with jhgeneratorsilencer ?
    Ford Ranger Supercab 3.2 auto 4 x 4
    Blinkgat camper, Stofpad sump and gearbox guard,ironman snorkel,maxxis bighorn,firestone air springs
    Mazda MX5 _ sold after 5 happy years
    Polo 2.0 wife
    Retired

I bought the Adendorff 5 kw diesel "supposedly silent" or quieter generator. Very pricey and very disappointing. I used it 3 times and sold it. Rated at 23,5 Amp but wouldn't pull a geyser 13 Amp, lights and TV etc at 3 Amp. Sold it at a small loss and replaced it with the Gentech GP8500 7.5 Kva from Chamberlains

https://www.chamberlains.co.za/gente...7-5kva-1070565

Cheaper than the Adendorff silent and R4500 cheaper. Rated at 32 Amp, runs whole house, that includes 2 freezers and 2 fridges. Much quieter and lighter, easier to move around,. About half the physical size - very good buy. This works for when our sub-station blows up and we have extended power outage.

For normal load shedding I use my small Ryobi inverter generator

https://kloppers.co.za/ryobi-rg-2250...generator.html

Runs lounge with TV, router etc, quiet fuel efficient, also use it to charge backup power batteries via Victron charger. It can run one fridge at a time. My best buy, very good and reliable. Wife can start it easy and refers to it as "her generator" Hope this helps.

We have 2 generators as we had 2 houses. One was custom built for me and has proper stable power and real Honda engine. I cannot remember exact output but around 3.5 kVA. Specification for it was lights, printers, computers and kettle. Around 10 l /4 hour. We have over switch and then on board every breaker is known. I drop pool, geyser, stove and couple other circuits and generator runs all what is needed including 2 fridge/freezers and one freezer. Out of the two micro only one works the other has too big input if all other is on. Micro is a killer. They are power hogs.

We have not used the Chinese 5.5kVA for a while. Heavier on fuel and the power is not as stable. I borrowed it to step son and it stopped after 5 hours. In service. Cost R1600.00.

Both can run one geyser.

I tried 500 W inverter from the caravan. I have to replace the battery. It seems to be from 2008. This option will be for late night computer work.

It doesn't seem to get better. I would not buy less than what is needed if there is about no power for few days. To save money worth to look what off road setup has. Two panels inverter and new battery should be enough for me do most of my work.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

For the purpose you ask for is a small generator perfect. Will run modum ,electric fence,TV and a couple if lights.It is quiet and on 3.5l will run for a couple of hour's.Have the same setup running now for 2 year's

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spoedig For This Useful Post:

One of my customers is in Roodepoort. He has gennies from small to big. It is a factory. His smallest could do the office but not a printer. His word was "I buy them from Pakistanis. Cheap.". Those gennies just run.

I will never convert the stove to gas. We have such at the cottage and we had one during sixties. I very much hate gas stoves. As a back up we have 2 burner at the caravan plus those on top of the bottles. Gas braai, which works as an oven.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by ViperR View Post
    Personally I think going to small is a waste of money. I wouldn't go smaller than a 5.5kva. Regardless if you want to use the extra oomph or not but atleast there is spare capacity should you need it.
    I was of similar opinion a while ago but now when the power goes off. I can run my 3x fridges a light or two computers, wifi, 2 tv's and still run the kettle the odd time for a cup of tea.
    My little 2.2kva genny runs all the lights, 2 TV's, all the fibre/wifi gear and 2 pc's. Dont need to run fridges or kettle (I have a gas stove for that) during loadshedding. A bigger genny will just burn more fuel IMHO

The things runs on smell of an oil rag - 3.6l fuel tank and will run for 8 hours and is significantly quieter than a typical 5KVA generator
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mullerza View Post
    My little 2.2kva genny runs all the lights, 2 TV's, all the fibre/wifi gear and 2 pc's. Dont need to run fridges or kettle (I have a gas stove for that) during loadshedding. A bigger genny will just burn more fuel IMHO

The things runs on smell of an oil rag - 3.6l fuel tank and will run for 8 hours and is significantly quieter than a typical 5KVA generator
    Anton what brand make is that please?
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Anton what brand make is that please?
    Its a Honda EU22i, they have become stupid expensive lately but it really is a brilliant quality generator.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

16. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

This works fine for listed items. The only problem comes when it gets to 2008 case or like my step son recently. 3 days no power and freezer full. Next item is the hot water. I do not use 72 hour dodo.

Those who work on computers need stable power. My bet is that this Honda has it.

Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Or rather invest in a 5kva inverter and some batteries, my current project (cheapest quote so far is 37k)

I have a 3kva Honda EU30is which is a remarkable machine but gennies are more hassle than they worth

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    This works fine for listed items. The only problem comes when it gets to 2008 case or like my step son recently. 3 days no power and freezer full. Next item is the hot water. I do not use 72 hour dodo.

Those who work on computers need stable power. My bet is that this Honda has it.
    I have thought about this, and I think the genny will run the upright kitchen fridges (thinking about it now, my chest freezer and camping freezer is on the same circuit as the TV so the genny has already powered those 2 a few times)

My reason for going with the honda is that it fills 99% of my power needs, its very portable and supplies clean power. It stood for more than year and still fired up on the second attempt.
    Anton Muller

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

20. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

I am also toying with the idea on getting a generator.

Same as Mullerza, I was thinking of only getting one to run the TV, wifi and lights. It would be perfect.

But then the voice in my head tells me, why not buy a big one and be done with it, IN CASE there are extended power outages that could ruin my fridge contents? In our town there has been many disruptions in power and my area were off for 16 hours once...luckily it was cool weather.

I almost pulled the trigger on a ryobi 6kva and I was in Game with the thing at the till, then I decided against it.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

There is a workaround for those who are at home. We use it to some extend. Small genny can run one or two fridges. Run a period and then move the load to something else. Because we know what is behind each breaker I have used even stove on the smaller gennie. I can also heat up the geyser by not using other heavy users.

Fridge start has a peak, micro is bad, lazer printers are bad when they heat up, kettle, geyser, all pumps have a peak to start.

I run the carb empty.

I have thought about this, and I think the genny will run the upright kitchen fridges (thinking about it now, my chest freezer and camping freezer is on the same circuit as the TV so the genny has already powered those 2 a few times)

My reason for going with the honda is that it fills 99% of my power needs, its very portable and supplies clean power. It stood for more than year and still fired up on the second attempt.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    There is a workaround for those who are at home. We use it to some extend. Small genny can run one or two fridges. Run a period and then move the load to something else. Because we know what is behind each breaker I have used even stove on the smaller gennie. I can also heat up the geyser by not using other heavy users.

Fridge start has a peak, micro is bad, lazer printers are bad when they heat up, kettle, geyser, all pumps have a peak to start.

I run the carb empty.
    Good to know re fridges, the family has learnt the microwave is a big no-no, genny properly craps itself if you try and use it.

Its a bit of a faf to trip all the required breakers for the geysers and fridges and then fire up the genny but for now it works and honestly its 5min job to onto genny power - everything is labeled in steps as to what breakers to trip in what sequence. Often when the load shedding is at night I'll just let the genny run out of fuel and switch back to eskom the next morning.

For us it was a cheapish solution that works very well with very low running costs.
    Anton Muller

2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

24. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

I have a 7KVA Honda avr gene. Had it up for sale a month ago. Apparently too expensive. All i can say, extremely glad i could not get it sold. Runs my house including one geyser, if need be, and supplied a plug point to each of my adjacent flats for small equipment use. Cant go wrong with the expensive Honda , and it lasts.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudy Roodbol For This Useful Post:

My 3.0 Stramm is a soft cock, ok for a few TV's, wifi and maybe a light or two, but its reasonably quiet if you are partially deaf.. Turn on the kettle and it stalls, genuine...

My 6.5 which is probably 5.5 Honda kicks arse, runs three fridges, all the TV's, lights, dogs automated water bowl filler, and the kettle, no problem, but not the microwave... but, sh1t that thing makes a noise, even if you are deaf, like proper noise, personally I hate it.

I do turn the geysers and the pool pump off, not too big an issue..

But the noise, nuff said...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7533.JPG 
Views:	73 
Size:	732.5 KB 
ID:	619171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7534.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	560.5 KB 
ID:	619172  
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast