Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Small generator

Default Re: Small generator

I bought a 7KVa Honda from genpower in pretoria about 6 years ago,cost +-R18 000 at the time, I see they go for close to R30k now.

Very good resale value on the genuine Honda gennies, and will probably last a couple lifetimes.

We have the full changeover switch installed which makes things so much easier.

We run a geyser/ 2 fridges/ 1 x deep freeze / borehole pump/ all security lights/ TV etc, stove is gas but oven is electric.

, literally the whole household.

Our cost to run is +- R20 per hour, 5 liter tank that lasts +- 4 hours

So happy we bought it, not a moments trouble.
    Last edited by Dixie; 2021/06/17 at 12:52 PM. Reason: correction
    God is Good!

2010 Hilux 3Lt D4D D/C ++

That micro thing we learned on a boat. Big batteries, big inverter and micro is no no. If they say 1000 W it seems to be the output and not the input. We carry the van micro in. It is smallish and I learned to use that instead of the one in the main kitchen. Those small micro with mechanical timer are cheap. Worth to look at getting one if the generator is small. In our case it has helped a lot.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

I have a Honda EU30is and run about 15 lights in the house (LEDís), tv, amp, pre-amp, 5x50w ledís outside, wife routers, fiber, 1 normal fridge/freezer, 1 double door fridge/ freezer, 1 fridge in the lapa outside. Basically everything in the house except stove, geaser, pool pump and aircons.

Very happy with Honda. If you just want to run lights,tv and modem you canít go wrong with the Honda EU20i
    2018 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete 2.4 DI-D with SuperSelect II
    2017 Conqueror Companion Platinum Edition

** Every father should remember that one day his son will follow his example instead of his advice **

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toks For This Useful Post:

I had to buy a generator today as I could no longer afford to close the office for another day and we just do not know when Alberton will ever sort out all the cable faults.

Was very reluctant to look at anything less than 5kW, but saw a tread earlier with the Makro special for a 2500w Ryobi Inverter generator and decided to go for it.

Well, was running from 11 this morning till I swithced off when I locked up at 5, all the office computers, printers, modems and fibre and lights and the occasional boiling of the kettle (you could hear it pulling hard when switched on, so will be running camping stove for boiled water in future). Looks like it used about 3/4 tank of fuel. Only downside is that it is noicy, but for R6,5k I am very chuffed.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

Quote Originally Posted by Rooikop View Post
    I had to buy a generator today as I could no longer afford to close the office for another day and we just do not know when Alberton will ever sort out all the cable faults.

Was very reluctant to look at anything less than 5kW, but saw a tread earlier with the Makro special for a 2500w Ryobi Inverter generator and decided to go for it.

Well, was running from 11 this morning till I swithced off when I locked up at 5, all the office computers, printers, modems and fibre and lights and the occasional boiling of the kettle (you could hear it pulling hard when switched on, so will be running camping stove for boiled water in future). Looks like it used about 3/4 tank of fuel. Only downside is that it is noicy, but for R6,5k I am very chuffed.
    Thats some pretty good figures, how big is the tank on that model?
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Toks View Post
    I have a Honda EU30is and run about 15 lights in the house (LEDís), tv, amp, pre-amp, 5x50w ledís outside, wife routers, fiber, 1 normal fridge/freezer, 1 double door fridge/ freezer, 1 fridge in the lapa outside. Basically everything in the house except stove, geaser, pool pump and aircons.

Very happy with Honda. If you just want to run lights,tv and modem you canít go wrong with the Honda EU20i
    Glad you found a way to keep that going during load shedding otherwise you might go thirsty...

There is only one spec that must be complied with:

- The generator SHALL be able to power a hairdryer !
    Old:1998 Hilux SC 3000D
    Old: 2001 Hilux DC KZTE
    Old: 2007 Fortuner 3.0D4D
    Current: VW T5.1 BiTdi Transporter

For me trying to run a business without power is about total no go. Generator, fuel and what ever else is required is a justifiable business expense. Instead of handing over the money to SARS I rather pay for petrol and reduce the tax bill.

When using the generators please spend the money on proper installation. Most probably most of us have used extension cables and/or feed back via some plug. Those are not safe. Cables is better but get a proper system. When installing the switch over add voltage protection at the same time. Full office/house protection costs money but it is worth.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rooikop View Post

Interesting about the Ryobi generator, thanks. We run a 2.2kVA Yamaha inverter on one of our high sites, and it is just too small to power the 1500W power supply. Want to get a 3kVA Honda or Yamaha, but they are going for about R40k now! I bought my Yamaha 3kVA 2 years ago for R25k. Perfect size for my house with fridges, cameras and computer equipment. The beauty of it, apart from the very low noise levels, is that it runs for 20 hours
    Mike Lauterbach

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    Interesting about the Ryobi generator, thanks. We run a 2.2kVA Yamaha inverter on one of our high sites, and it is just too small to power the 1500W power supply. Want to get a 3kVA Honda or Yamaha, but they are going for about R40k now! I bought my Yamaha 3kVA 2 years ago for R25k. Perfect size for my house with fridges, cameras and computer equipment. The beauty of it, apart from the very low noise levels, is that it runs for 20 hours
    I think the way a inverter gen works is your problem. It keep the voltage constant and the frequency on 50 hz. So a small overload even on startup it cannot handle unless you have a large one because of inrush current. It does have a magneto type gen in, it feeds a inverter and it control the output. If you use a standard gen the psu you feed have a input voltage range and do not care much about frequency and the gen will handle the inrush current it will rev up and recover when the current reduce. Although the gen output voltage is not correct but in range for the psu. For the same reason the Ryobi works, a computer have switch mode psu in and can handle a wide input range. If he uses your Yamaha it wont probably work for that reason also. Hope you understand my explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    I think the way a inverter gen works is your problem. It keep the voltage constant and the frequency on 50 hz. So a small overload even on startup it cannot handle unless you have a large one because of inrush current. It does have a magneto type gen in, it feeds a inverter and it control the output. If you use a standard gen the psu you feed have a input voltage range and do not care much about frequency and the gen will handle the inrush current it will rev up and recover when the current reduce. Although the gen output voltage is not correct but in range for the psu. For the same reason the Ryobi works, a computer have switch mode psu in and can handle a wide input range. If he uses your Yamaha it wont probably work for that reason also. Hope you understand my explanation.
    Spot on - Either way, win some, lose some.

Inverter gennie - Stable and clean power, but poor inrush or overload capability.
    Standard gennie - Lousy voltage and frequency control but handles inrush nicely.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

A possible very nice solution.

5kW Axpert Inverter with batteries, and a 1kW Inverter gennie.

Axpert looks after load nicely, so no problems with inrush.

Gennie feeds Axpert and supplies the actual power, with the batteries smoothing out the lumps and bumps.

Arrange setting so that the gennie is just a battery saver and effectively extends backup time beyond the 2/4 hour mark, all the way to infinity if needs be..
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I have a Mac Afric 2KVA and it is sufficient to run lights, TV's and fridge and freezer with an aircon running.

It all depends whether you want to run your geyser and kettle as well.

I have not experienced it but my opinion is even a 6.5KVA gennie won't run your geyser , kettle and fridges etc., so going bigger means more money, is it worth it just to run geyser and kettle? The geyser would in any case last 2 -3 fast showers and be able to supply hot water for washing dishes before it is cold.
    When the world ways on my shoulders....all I need is some time in the ocean with my octopus....everything shall pass...

I acknowledge that pit bulls and other large breed dogs can be dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    Correct, I understand that - point I was trying to make is that the 2.2kVA gennie is not up to handling a 1500W power supply. It powers it up but really strains, running close to 100% capacity, which is not ideal. Hence the reason for a bigger one. The other handy attraction of the bigger 3kVA is the log run time. And it will be quieter than the smaller one running at full capacity.
    Mike Lauterbach

I used to use a small 2000w suitcase inverter type. More expensive but quieter and uses less fuel since it throttles to the amount of power required. I live in a complex and my neighbors did not notice the running noise.
    Used about 0.5L petrol per hour
    https://www.bundupower.co.za/gen-pet...p?mod=BP2000IS

Just take into account at altitude at ~3% per 500m, to me in Pretoria makes it a 1800w generator.

It handled the whole house apart from the stove and geyser. I just made sure to power up the fridge first for the initial startup cost which rev'd the unit. Once calm I can turn on everything else. My load with lights and TVs, internet, fridge etc is about 400w.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    A possible very nice solution.

5kW Axpert Inverter with batteries, and a 1kW Inverter gennie.

Axpert looks after load nicely, so no problems with inrush.

Gennie feeds Axpert and supplies the actual power, with the batteries smoothing out the lumps and bumps.

Arrange setting so that the gennie is just a battery saver and effectively extends backup time beyond the 2/4 hour mark, all the way to infinity if needs be..
    Thanks fluffy, thats actually a really good idea.
    2009 Suzuki GV 3.2
    ex : 2010 Suzuki GV 2.4 M/T
    ex : 2007 Audi A4 2.0T - RS4 rear suspension

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeGP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ColeGP View Post
    Thanks fluffy, thats actually a really good idea.
    Thanks, if noise is no problem then any old small cheapie will do.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Looking at the small 2.2 being offered by Bundupower above. (https://www.bundupower.co.za/gen-pet...p?mod=BP2000IS) The description of "inverter type" in the product description is of concern to me. Sounds like "yes it is but actually it isn't" (an inverter genny). Surely it is or it isn't? Comments please.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Looking at the small 2.2 being offered by Bundupower above. (https://www.bundupower.co.za/gen-pet...p?mod=BP2000IS) The description of "inverter type" in the product description is of concern to me. Sounds like "yes it is but actually it isn't" (an inverter genny). Surely it is or it isn't? Comments please.
    Very confusing at the moment.

Type 1 - Generator with or without a decent AVR to keep speed, frequency and Voltage decent.

Type 2 - Generator with little to no AVR, that takes the output and converts it to a steady output with an Inverter. Possibly Modified Sine Inverter. This is your el'cheapo "Inverter" gennie we are starting to see.

Type 3 - Generator with proper "Inverter". Pure Sine Wave, perfect output. Throttles back generator RPM when less power is needed. The Inverter can then maintain proper frequency and voltage output constant. Excellent fuel efficiency and very quiet at low to moderate power level. Still quietest even at high power. This is your true expensive Inverter gen, typical of Honda et al.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Its actually easy. Do you want a low noise generator light on fuel safe for electronics and small in build and light weight then a inverter generator. very expensive.
    Or A noisy generator that can be silenced a bit, heavy on fuel, bulky and heavy and much cheaper than inverter type. AVR is the best if you want to power your house or you must take precautions.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast