Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dowerglen
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,294
    Thanked: 1219

    Default Re: School me on car radio wiring

    That’s not a lcd display, cannot remember the name it goes by, but very common none the less, those red lines are filaments of sorts they are supposed to be red, not sure if as red as your photo, but red is not wrong..

    Often those displays will have a very dark covering such that you do not see those red lines..

    edit - it’s called vacuum fluorescent display vfd, if the red is very bright, then in all probability the filaments are getting too much voltage, probably circuit damage on the power supply side..
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2021/06/17 at 08:02 PM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

    There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    60
    Posts
    974
    Thanked: 1996

    Default Re: School me on car radio wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Thatís not a lcd display, cannot remember the name it goes by, but very common none the less, those red lines are filaments of sorts they are supposed to be red, not sure if as red as your photo, but red is not wrong..

    Often those displays will have a very dark such that you do not see those red lines..

    edit - itís called vacuum fluorescent display vfd, if the red is very bright, then in all probability the filaments are getting too much voltage, probably circuit damage on the power supply side..
    Hi Marco,

    Ok that makes a lot of sense.

    Had the radio apart completely and can see no visible signs of damage which makes it difficult for me to diagnose. If its fried I can replace it, I cannot find the half fried stuff, not my skill set. The circuit board was covered in glass fibre grinding dust, cleaned it off but still the same.

    Might have another look over the weekend.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Dowerglen
    Age
    55
    Posts
    2,294
    Thanked: 1219

    Default Re: School me on car radio wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Hi Marco,

    Ok that makes a lot of sense.

    Had the radio apart completely and can see no visible signs of damage which makes it difficult for me to diagnose. If its fried I can replace it, I cannot find the half fried stuff, not my skill set. The circuit board was covered in glass fibre grinding dust, cleaned it off but still the same.

    Might have another look over the weekend.
    Donít bank too much on my investigation, is the red glow as strong as what we see on photo, many times a camera will pick up on infrared but show it as Ďglowí. If what you see is less than that on the photo, then know itís probably ok, those filaments glow by nature of the work they do, the glow often controls display brightness as well.

    As mentioned normally those displays have a dark screen cover, and that generally hides the red...

    Anyway, my 2c, might be worth nothing, but maybe someone more intelligent than me can add to this..

    Good luck with it all Andrew..!!
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

    There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    43
    Posts
    287
    Thanked: 224

    Default Re: School me on car radio wiring

    Check your black wire, is it grounded properly?

    Then, if you are sure there are no grounding issues, take the radio out and connect it directly to a fully charged battery(not the boat's battery), connect the red and yellow together on + and the black on - , if the problem is gone, either the power wires are to thin (to much resistance) or it is connected to to many other devices that may starve it from the voltage/ampage it needs or is picking up disturbance from other power wiring.

    If the test on another battery solved your issues, I suggest firstly testing your battery properly(testing center), then from there, isolate your power and earth wire's to the radio by running it's own wiring, earth is very important, it has to be as short as possible and if you do not have an option to earth it as short as possible, after every meter longer your earth's gauging(thicker) needs to increase, remember the core needs to increase, sometimes a wire looks thicker but it is just the isolation that's thicker.

    Then your power(red) wire needs come directly from the battery, remember to put a fuse in line as close to the battery as possible, you do not need to run the yellow to the ignition, this is only if you want the radio to work only when your ignition is on, should that not be a requirement, you can connect the red and yellow to the same source, remember to also use a suitable gauge(thickness). the longer the wire the thicker it needs to be.
    When the world ways on my shoulders....all I need is some time in the ocean with my octopus....everything shall pass...

    I acknowledge that pit bulls and other large breed dogs can be dangerous.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    60
    Posts
    974
    Thanked: 1996

    Default Re: School me on car radio wiring

    Quote Originally Posted by Dracos13 View Post
    Check your black wire, is it grounded properly?

    Then, if you are sure there are no grounding issues, take the radio out and connect it directly to a fully charged battery(not the boat's battery), connect the red and yellow together on + and the black on - , if the problem is gone, either the power wires are to thin (to much resistance) or it is connected to to many other devices that may starve it from the voltage/ampage it needs or is picking up disturbance from other power wiring.

    If the test on another battery solved your issues, I suggest firstly testing your battery properly(testing center), then from there, isolate your power and earth wire's to the radio by running it's own wiring, earth is very important, it has to be as short as possible and if you do not have an option to earth it as short as possible, after every meter longer your earth's gauging(thicker) needs to increase, remember the core needs to increase, sometimes a wire looks thicker but it is just the isolation that's thicker.

    Then your power(red) wire needs come directly from the battery, remember to put a fuse in line as close to the battery as possible, you do not need to run the yellow to the ignition, this is only if you want the radio to work only when your ignition is on, should that not be a requirement, you can connect the red and yellow to the same source, remember to also use a suitable gauge(thickness). the longer the wire the thicker it needs to be.
    Hi Dracos,

    thanks for that. You also make sense. I am using very thin, very very thin power leads to connect. Those electronic ones with a crock clip on either end. As I am not powering speakers or playing I did not think I would need many amps. Now that you mention it the radio was warmer than I would have anticipated and the display was warmer than the radio. Will beef the leads up and see how it goes. If the display is current driven like LED's then your hypothesis makes perfect sense.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Alberton
    Age
    60
    Posts
    974
    Thanked: 1996

    Default Re: School me on car radio wiring

    To close the thread out.

    The thicker wires did not work, took the face apart again on I can see a 4mm spot where the display got fried.

    Now to decide if the irritation of the lines is worth spending R 2k for a new one, think I will live with it.

    Thanks all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •