Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: I haven't got a wheelbarrow so I fixed my braai instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I would give my left battery for an oxy. Why don't they make baby oxy set sets.

I goggled my fingers to death on that gas burner set. Some burners are good for heating large areas but difficult to get a really hot spot, others with MAPP and a pencil beam concentrate the heat hot enough to braze, but only for small items.

Funny thing is. I actually bought three burners, and the one in the pic is the best one for brazing and the cheapest buy far - bought from - my local MICA.
    You get small brazing sets I have one I must just check the manufacturer,its a mini me of the Afrox Porta Pak which I also have but the smaller one comes in handy
    AFAIK its a Rhotenberger set,also comes with different nozzles

Rhotenberger it is,the bottles are disposable
    You can buy replacements from Metraclark or Tecsa
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You can get a 2nd hand Afrox Porta Pak for around R4k to R5k ive seen a couple lately at pawn shops
    My Porta Pak is one of my main tools and very handy
    The mini me is around R4k new if im correct,very handy around the workshop and to repair fridges on site

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Werner Brits For This Useful Post:

I would give my left battery for an oxy. Why don't they make baby oxy set sets.

I goggled my fingers to death on that gas burner set. Some burners are good for heating large areas but difficult to get a really hot spot, others with MAPP and a pencil beam concentrate the heat hot enough to braze, but only for small items.

Funny thing is. I actually bought three burners, and the one in the pic is the best one for brazing and the cheapest buy far - bought from - my local MICA.
    You do know that if you buy the hoses, torch and gauges. You then just need to get a small oxygen bottle and a bottle of handy gas to make up a Porta pack.

I see on our local FB market that the complete Porta pack comes up for sale ie torch etc with acetylene and 0xy bottles.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    You do know that if you buy the hoses, torch and gauges. You then just need to get a small oxygen bottle and a bottle of handy gas to make up a Porta pack.

I see on our local FB market that the complete Porta pack comes up for sale ie torch etc with acetylene and 0xy bottles.
    Ta, thanks.

This I have kinda worked out during the course of this thread. All the torches I can find are either heavy duty industrial or tiny ones for jewelry. Not many (actually none) light duty.

Think I am going to buy one of these and some disposable bottles of MAPP and Oxygen from Leroy Merlin

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ZTBGXW67&psc=1
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Fluffy is lucky in that he has a very cool hardware (EIS) just down the road from him in New Germany/Pinetown.

I have looked at a lot of videos of Big Brazing with Silicone Bronze. I found some rods in the welding section of EIS and thought I am off to the races. It turned out really badly and just made a lot of fizzing and smoke. I think they are the wrong type of rods and are meant for brazing not Tig Welding.

If anyone knows where you can get the Tig Silicone Brazing rods locally I am all ears as I think this would give the ol Tig a few more options that would be nice to have and very handy for bonding mixed metals and lower heat jobs with thin metals.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Here's the thing - My braai is fixed.

And I know which Oxy-Fuel set I want.

But I don't need to fix anything or make anything, so I can't justify buying it.

I suppose I could buy a wheelbarrow and leave it out in the rain. but that would take to long.

So what can you think of that needs a gas set.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Good for:
    - Burglar proofing
    - Building old cars
    - Making art for the front yard
    - Helping a mate
    - Make jewelry for the females in the family
    - Bragging rights

I am sure there are many other things to do.

But I don't need to fix anything or make anything, so I can't justify buying it.

I suppose I could buy a wheelbarrow and leave it out in the rain. but that would take to long.

Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Gee Fluffy . Why do you ever need justification for owning tools. I never have enough tools but worse is I dont have the bucks to buy them.
    I have numerous tools I hardly ever use but when you need em ,you need em.
    Uses for a porta pack.

Cutting off rusted nuts on studs, brazing ,gas welding and mainly silver soldering. To be honest I seldom use it but I would hate not to have it.
    The other day I needed to braze a casting on a drill press table where the clamp broke off. Brazing sorted it out.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	casting.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	619309
    But it really is usefull when you need to do things like harden metal. For example the worm and wheel in my bandsaw packed up. I needed to make a new wheel for the bandsaw and there are no spares available. So I had to make my own from scratch. This involves turning up a hob to cut the gear from phosper bronze.
    But you need to harden the cutter. Propane gas is not nearly hot enough and this is where oxy acetylene shines.
    Here is my homemade hobbing cutter ,all nice and hardened .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worm gear.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	619310

12. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

OP needs temperature control. So he absolutely needs oxy/acetylene for high temp but it is difficult to control due to color issues. It is good for melting platinum but not soldering it or gold. He needs in addition to acetylene a home gas bottle with switch over valve and naturally flame back units and then there is the must to have adjustable regulator for that home gas. He has to get the balance right. Then he has to have acetylene oxygen cutting nozzle and then set of soldering nozzles. We must not forget the rods and flux. These tools are naturally too big for the jewelry making so he needs the mini soldering set for jewelry. To solder gold you need to have a gold license. They only come twice a year to check and you have to keep a record and get a police clearance. Then he needs rolling machine (electric is preferred), ring adjusters... (Cheap in UK). When you work on gold or platinum you need special room, bench grinder with polishing disks and no maid to clean.

Never ever ask me (without bringing a box of some very expensive stuff) how I know.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post

My main concern with these second hand sets is that they look like they are either stolen, fell off the back of a truck, or whacked.

The decent looking legit ones are just too expensive.

So I am going to be patient and just keep looking for a bargain.

Eureka...I think my bike needs a new brake system ....mmmm
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post

If anyone knows where you can get the Tig Silicone Brazing rods locally I am all ears as I think this would give the ol Tig a few more options that would be nice to have and very handy for bonding mixed metals and lower heat jobs with thin metals.
    I’ve tig welded copper to copper & copper to stainless using copper brazing rods... very tricky can it can be done by watching the colour of the “flame”

If you have an old oil filled transformer type welder, you can use gouging rods to create a flame, will not do cutting like oxy acetylene.

Cons - noisy and very bright and you need to make the holder. I would not use an inverter welder due to duty cycle and suspect the elektronix may not like it. Happy to be wrong though.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

I have looked at a lot of videos of Big Brazing with Silicone Bronze. I found some rods in the welding section of EIS and thought I am off to the races. It turned out really badly and just made a lot of fizzing and smoke. I think they are the wrong type of rods and are meant for brazing not Tig Welding.

If anyone knows where you can get the Tig Silicone Brazing rods locally I am all ears as I think this would give the ol Tig a few more options that would be nice to have and very handy for bonding mixed metals and lower heat jobs with thin metals.[/QUOTE]

Suspect you are using brazing rods, they normally contain zinc. Tig brazing rods will be a copper mix.

Check on the end of the brazing rod for a crimp and number, usually that distinguishes between tig and brazing.

Also make very sure that you are not melting the base material as that will lead to cracking and a bad 'weld'

You can try probraze in wadeville, they used to or still supply afrox. Tsa welding in germiston will have. [/QUOTE]
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2