Default Black smoke defender 2.2

Hi All,

I need some help, Vehicle has been in for weeks at a time to sort the problem with no success.

The main issue: Lots of black smoke on startup and acceleration.
    Other signs: slight oil on sensor after intercooler, rattle from turbo actuator (the little box, not the shaft), varied power (irrelevant of temperature car and ambient), has given warnings a few times regarding airflow sensor temp, boost pressure warning, fuel consumption 14L/100km, thick black soot in exhaust,
    Resolved causes: boost pipes checked (in detail), air filter replaced, Mass Airflow sensor wiring redone (sensor also cleaned).

Some history:
    • engine replaced 30 000km ago, (smoked a little after this, as the CAT was taken out and EGR blanked off, nothing abnormal)
    • turbo replaced 4000km ago, serious smoke started just before this, (was smoking excessively after turbo replacement, had it in a few times before turbo blew to check on the smoking)
    • Vehicle has some map on it since i bought it. Did not smoke at first. significant but not excessive power from map (compared to other 2.2)
    • All parts are OEM, apart from after intercooler boost pipe being some random pipe a little bigger and more flexible than standard.
    • smoking reduces as engine revs go up.

any advice would be appreciated

Vehicle Details:
    2.2 Land Rover defender 110
    170 000 km
    Last edited by Stephan van Straaten; 2021/06/14 at 01:27 PM.

Default Re: Black smoke defender 2.2

Black smoke is unburnt diesel.

Maybe the remap has something to do with excessive diesel and not enough air? You mentioned that the MAF wiring was redone?

Have you checked the the MAF sensor itself?
    Can also be injectors that are going bad.
    2000 Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - 33" MT's, 2" lift - many more
    2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 Auto - 35" MT's, 4" lift - many more
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T - 32" Hybrid AT/MT, 2" lift - many more
    Instagram: defender90_2.8i

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Henko88 For This Useful Post:

Have you changed fuel supplier or brand before this problem arose?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

It sounds to me like maybe your turbo is boosting less than the old one, leaving the mixture richer than previously
    Triton 3.2 DiD

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hardus Bezuidenhout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henko88 View Post
    Black smoke is unburnt diesel.

Maybe the remap has something to do with excessive diesel and not enough air? You mentioned that the MAF wiring was redone?

Have you checked the the MAF sensor itself?
    Can also be injectors that are going bad.

Hi Henko, thanks, yes. i redid the wiring on it, under supervision of my electrical engineer friend. Couldnt find a replacement plug yet.

The remap has not changed since i bought the car, 80 000 km ago. Before the de-cat there was almost no smoke at all.

I am afraid that it is the sensor itself, as these are quite expensive and the only way to test it is to replace it. That is the only thing i can think of to try at this point.

Injectors, possibly, especially the large amount of smoke on startup. But they were replaced along with the engine about 30 000km ago.

Will definitely replace the MAF next.

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Have you changed fuel supplier or brand before this problem arose?
    No, always the same, Engen (ebucks got me there). But Engen's all over the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardus Bezuidenhout View Post
    It sounds to me like maybe your turbo is boosting less than the old one, leaving the mixture richer than previously
    Hi Hardus,
    Also considered this. confusing results though: smoking was bad before new turbo, and shocking after new turbo. The new (recon) turbo does have a different wine to it than the old one, so i wonder if there is something different with the veins?

The boost feels very much the same as the old one though.

Question Re: Black smoke defender 2.2

I would get it to one of the experienced independent repairers on this forum to use the correct diagnostics. I have never been a fan of remapping and this may in fact have something to do with the problem.

Who did the map for you? Some maps are dodgy some are good. Be careful who you choose.

Please dont tell me you have a piggy back like a Unichip or similar. When I bought my 130 I could not understand why it went so bad until we found a unichip on it. Once removed it was amazing the difference in the vehicle. I have since had it remapped with a reputable company.

Im willing to bet it is the map also. Whoever did it should be able to put it back to standard.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma