Default Road/grass condition Lekhubu to Piper?

We have trip booked for Piper late July and wondered if anyone has recently travelled from Deception valley to Piper? Am bit worried of overgrown middlemannetjies!!

We were at Kori and Passage in February this year and the roads looked like no-one had travelled them for years!! and we had to clean out a bale of grass from under the vehicle after each drive. Not much fun when not much water to shower each time

Thanks
    1999 Isuzu Trooper - The Truck
    2002 Landcruiser 105 - The Grey Nomad

Default Re: Road/grass condition Lekhubu to Piper?

Hi

We drove the route from Tsau gate to Passarge 1 and game drives to Sunday Pan in May. Grass was fine, but did have some scratching on sides of my vehicle.

I am sure it will be the same for the area you are traveling as many vehicles should have travelled that route by the time you go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Barend For This Useful Post:

Did trip to and from Pipers in May 2021 and all good between Deception and Pipers but the bush is a little more closed than pre covid. By later in the year it will be more open.

There is about 25 kms of corrugated section before Pipers though. Sections of the Phokoje to Passarge link are somewhat more closed up at present. These may be better later.

Have some dashcam footage as well. Although I deleted some.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Forgot to add that the above route had very little grass middelmannetjie. Other parts not as clear though. I drive a cruiser 79 which is OME lifted and has little problem with grass generally. The May 21 trip had sections with bonnet high grass across the whole track, but not the direct route mentioned.

Worry more about the scratches and less grass. We encountered grass when giving way to oncoming traffic , hence bringing the seed net. The sandy, corrugations to Piper is a turn off.

many thanks to you all

Good to hear from you Pat'n Wolf. Frank & I visited you at Kalahari Plains earlier this year. So hoping guest are visiting you.

Cheers

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by trooper View Post
    Good to hear from you Pat'n Wolf. Frank & I visited you at Kalahari Plains earlier this year. So hoping guest are visiting you.

Cheers

Charlotte
    Hahahah when I arrived back the manager told me you passed by and praised me for the help. Kalahari Plains camp is currently closed till further notice so will mostly be camping in CKGR now, and using Tau Pan camp. There is a new camp called Tsau Hill camp, near Tsau Entrance. Recently opened in March 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT n WOLF View Post
    Hahahah when I arrived back the manager told me you passed by and praised me for the help. Kalahari Plains camp is currently closed till further notice so will mostly be camping in CKGR now, and using Tau Pan camp. There is a new camp called Tsau Hill camp, near Tsau Entrance. Recently opened in March 2021.
    Pics of that campsite plse and where on the pan it is

that could become my new best campsite ever

thks

Hi Pat
    The original Tau Pan campsite must have been top spot in CKGR! It was closed when the lodge opened - so will be very interested to know what is happening. Do you have a site for overland guides, or is there now a public use camp?

Oh I think I wasn’t clear on my comment. Wanted to say, now that Kalahari Plains Camp is closed, I will be back to camping. And when I need lodging will now use Tau Pan Lodge and the new Tsau Hill Lodge for lodging facilities. The campsite which was near Tau Pan lodge has been removed and your nearest camp will be CKTAU02, which is underrate, just like Phokoje CKTAU03 can be very exciting. Sorry for the confusion. There is no Tau Pan Campsite near the lodge.

Some info. Went past Phokoje in May 2021and popped in having stayed there and at the old CK camp nearby way back when.

Phokoje is no more. Tree gone. Trunk lying in overgrown grass. Campsite badly overgrown and fireplace broken and overgrown as well and longdrop smothered in a pile of grass and not usable. Whole area grassed up.

Bumped into a dude from Sweden who had apparently booked, at Phokoje that is and was driving there. Don't know the outcome.

The overflow camp on SAN PAN is used quite often by folk with permission from gate. Last time we went to see latter in 2019 before covid it was overgrown but usable. Little shade if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Some info. Went past Phokoje in May 2021and popped in having stayed there and at the old CK camp nearby way back when.

Phokoje is no more. Tree gone. Trunk lying in overgrown grass. Campsite badly overgrown and fireplace broken and overgrown as well and longdrop smothered in a pile of grass and not usable. Whole area grassed up.

Bumped into a dude from Sweden who had apparently booked, at Phokoje that is and was driving there. Don't know the outcome.

The overflow camp on SAN PAN is used quite often by folk with permission from gate. Last time we went to see latter in 2019 before covid it was overgrown but usable. Little shade if I recall.
    DWNP is planning on relocating that campsite, since that tree fell. It was always cramped and too small, with bushes soo close. I hope they move it towards the Pan.....

DWNP is planning on relocating that campsite, since that tree fell. It was always cramped and too small, with bushes soo close. I hope they move it towards the Pan.....
    Good news, have always liked that vicinity, but the campsite........
    I am sure you will keep us in the picture Pat my good lad.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Good news, have always liked that vicinity, but the campsite........
    I am sure you will keep us in the picture Pat my good lad.
    Definitely Stan, I will.