Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default vehicle theft modis operandi.

I was having a braai at my place on Saturday when my neighbor calls me to tell me he disturbed two guys in a white polo looking into my BIL,S toyota bakkie. Its a new bakkie ,the 2,8 diesel. Not a double cab but the one with an extra door.

We allwent out and could see nothing wrong so i suggested he bring it into my property . He has had seven toyotas stolen in his life so clamped a steering lock onto his steering wheel and we proceeded to braai. Half an hour later these bastards are back and a different neighbor calls us to say these guys came back and he pulled a gun out on them and they said please Sir dont shoot and sped off.
    But they must have jammed a screwdriver into the passenger door because the window is bust but also the paint on the window frame is damaged.
    They had the covering around the ignition switch off. The alarm doesnt work anymore.
    The bakkie had an awful fishy smell about it. We are not sure if broken glass emits a terrible odour or if these guys painted themselves with fishpaste for muti.

Literally half an hour later they tried to steal a ford ranger double cab. The security managed to get a number plate but they were also disturbed and also got the covering off the ignition switch.
    I thought new cars with transponders are hard to steal so how do they go about it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

Gee whiz.

It's tough driving a Toyota or Ford these days.

The worst is he is sitting with the damage now. Buggers.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

On many vehicles the hooters that sound with the alarm sits nice and low. So first thing is they unplug the hooters or cut the wires. Then with the alarm nice and silent they open a door to gain access to the inside. Once inside they can unplug the ECU (under the dash or inside the engine compartment) and swap it with one that they have a coded key for (probably from an accident damaged vehicle). Next, they put the coded key in the ignition and then the "new" ECU recognizes it and allows the crook to hotwire the ignition to start the engine and drive off.

Some of these crooks have the whole process perfected to a fine art and can do all this within minutes. Once they drive off with it, another crook will start stripping the dash to get to the tracker. This then gets tossed out the window and off they go.

Unfortunately it is a case of if they want it, they will take it and there is not much one can do to stop them other than making it more difficult to steal your vehicle compared to the one you are parked next to.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Namakwalander For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    I
    The bakkie had an awful fishy smell about it. We are not sure if broken glass emits a terrible odour or if these guys painted themselves with fishpaste for muti.
    Ag shame, maybe one of the poor buggers has a fungal problem, must be hell...
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

I was having a braai at my place on Saturday when my neighbor calls me to tell me he disturbed two guys in a white polo looking into my BIL,S toyota bakkie. Its a new bakkie ,the 2,8 diesel. Not a double cab but the one with an extra door.

We allwent out and could see nothing wrong so i suggested he bring it into my property . He has had seven toyotas stolen in his life so clamped a steering lock onto his steering wheel and we proceeded to braai. Half an hour later these bastards are back and a different neighbor calls us to say these guys came back and he pulled a gun out on them and they said please Sir dont shoot and sped off.
    But they must have jammed a screwdriver into the passenger door because the window is bust but also the paint on the window frame is damaged.
    They had the covering around the ignition switch off. The alarm doesnt work anymore.

Literally half an hour later they tried to steal a ford ranger double cab. The security managed to get a number plate but they were also disturbed and also got the covering off the ignition switch.
    I thought new cars with transponders are hard to steal so how do they go about it.
    What is this transponder you talk about?

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    What is this transponder you talk about?
    Andrew - I don't know how Toyotas and Fords work. However, the Nissan Anti-Theft System works by the premise of having a transponder in the key. When starting the car, the ECU will read the transponder. If it is not present, or it is not the correct one, the NATS system will not disable itself, and the car will not start.

It's not foolproof though. The locksmith I used to use back in Brits could clone my NATS key without much difficulty. In fact, even without a sample key, he would be able to generate a working key provided he had access to the ECU. The latter is apparently just more difficult and more expensive.

I believe other vehicle manufacturers have similar anti-theft measures. But I am not familiar with them.
    Last edited by iandvl; 2021/06/14 at 01:23 PM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I believe other vehicle manufacturers have similar anti-theft measures. But I am not familiar with them.
    I had a issue with the barrel of my Atos ignition.

For a while, I just needed to keep the key close to the sensor in the ignition and could start the car with a screwdriver and then throw the key on the passenger seat.

I'm sure some syndicates have some fancy scanner things that can pick up on the transponder signal and duplicate it. All you need then is a key that fits in the barrel and can turn the ignition.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

maybe something like this?

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

What happened to your boomed gates in Mt Moreland?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Jip... Like mentioned...

They bring their own ECU unit with matching key...

I remember back in the day I installed special bolts on my Citi golf's ECU... The heads of the bolts will break off leaving a round headed stud which can't be un-bolted.... You had to unbolt the ECU to remove the plug... So with this mod, they can't install their own ECU...

They ended up stealing the car anyway... Broke into the house and got the keys
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

I reckon it will be fairly easy to clone the transponder in the key. The "transponder" is actually just an RFID tag in the key. From the available documentation on NATS that I've found, it is a particularly simple one too. Basically just relying on a numerical ID. I'm pretty sure that if I can work out what frequency the RFID uses, I'd be able to knock together a clone thang out of an arduino and other bits and pieces I've got lying around in the garage. I'll put that on the back burner for when I'm bored one day...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

18. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    What happened to your boomed gates in Mt Moreland?
    I don't live in Mt Moreland.Only hippies live there😁
    I live in Sunningdale

20. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

I live in Sunningdale
    Hahaha, sorry for some reason I thought you lived there.

I live in Sunningdale
    I thought you were an undercover Hippie!

(I know Sunningdale well -from when it was only the original village, and canefields/canerats, and hippies!

(Learned to drive along Village Way in my mother's Kadett when there was still a MX track at the N2 end of it.
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Was it 'double-locked'? (By pressing the remote twice)

I live in Sunningdale

About 7 years ago, when we were still in KZN and thought we were going to setup life down there properly, we looked at mount moreland ALOT, we really liked it, but, in the end sanity prevailed and we decided the air traffic would eventually drive us insane
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Simple is better.

A hidden fuel cut off.
    This will not stop them towing it away.

OT : I found my GPS the other day, mounted under my car battery. Had to replace my battery and found found it.

They are amateurs!

I wonder if it's the same white polo crew that attempted a hijacking this morning just off old main road (metres from Sunningdale).

Two small guys with an nj no plate

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast