Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 35 of 35
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Jozi
    Posts
    154
    Thanked: 42

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    As already mentioned, unfortunately if they want the vehicle they will take it. Als tow it away, or trash it because they couldn't take it.
    A stamd alone/secondary fuel cutoff means vehicle will be out of your sight when it cuts off, so from sheer frustration they torch the vehicle.

    These buggers are brutal!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,654
    Thanked: 1700

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    Hahaha, sorry for some reason I thought you lived there.
    I actually lived in Umdloti from 1973 to 1996.Then I bought a house in Mt Moreland and stayed there till 2000. Then moved reluctantly to Sunningdale. Have you been in Umdloti long. best town in S Africa ever.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town, Plumstead/The Sea/Franskraal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    2,540
    Thanked: 815

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Take a packet of chips, eat the chips, put your cell in the empty packet, fold it closed. Try and call your cell.

    They disconnect the hooter/alarm loudspeaker, winch into the back of an 18 wheeler, takes 1 minute, copper mesh lined, strip at leisure, when done, lower back door of trailer, dump body.

    Security company finds stripped body. Tracker still in place.
    Mercedes W123 300D, runs on Mother Natures Goodness.
    Powered by the Sun, the Rain and the Earth.
    Have now covered 270 000Km on veg oil.
    Oh, and an Isuzu 280DT, 40 000Km on Bio Diesel
    Rand for Rand gets 33Km/L

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    3,548
    Thanked: 1538

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    They either have a spare ecu and key or just tow it away.

    To make a cloned transponder key is doable with the correct diagnostics interface but it's relatively time consuming, probably a 20min job if you are clued up. So not feasible if you were a thief under the time constraints of stealing a vehicle from the street.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2021/06/15 at 06:25 PM.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    211
    Thanked: 385

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Best defense seems to be to NOT drive a sought after vehicle.

    No Polo's
    No Toyotas
    No Rangers


    JEEPs and Landys FTW then . Nobody got the time, money or patience to keep them running. (Tongue firmly in cheek)
    2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0CRD

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rangeview Krugersdorp
    Age
    71
    Posts
    6,901
    Thanked: 1661

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Don't give out any more info please.....who knows who might be reading this forum ?
    There is no task too simple for some people to complicate !



    Ford Figo 2016

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Quote Originally Posted by duncang View Post
    Don't give out any more info please.....who knows who might be reading this forum ?
    I think that anybody dodgy (from a vehicle theft point of view) who may be reading this forum probably has a better understanding about how these things work than us supposedly non-dodgy folk (from a vehicle theft point of view) currently reading or contributing to this thread.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:


  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,654
    Thanked: 1700

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I think that anybody dodgy (from a vehicle theft point of view) who may be reading this forum probably has a better understanding about how these things work than us supposedly non-dodgy folk (from a vehicle theft point of view) currently reading or contributing to this thread.
    I was hoping to have their input

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    33
    Posts
    390
    Thanked: 74

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    I am dodgy, but not smart enough to steal a car.

    Some time ago the wife phones me and says the key does not want to turn in the ignition. So I grab the bakkie, rush down to her, give her the bakkie and send her off to finish her errands.

    First, I got some penetrating lube and stuff from a store nearby and then started to just soak the ignition and try to wiggle the key. It worked before. After an hour of wiggling, I gave up and went back to the nearest store to get some screwdrivers (I only had my wallet on me because the key will mos work with some effort). By the time I loosened the first screw on the steering column, I noticed security gathering around me. At least three of them. They kept on walking past the car an peeking in the window, but none actually approached me to see what the problem is. At some point on the phone to the wife, I said loudly that I will bash in the head of the next security to loer into the car. This kept them at a distance, but it also caused them to get in the head of security. They all just discussed me at a distance without actually talking to me.

    At some point I had the steering column plastics off, both stalks next to steering, most of the other crap surrounding the lock, but still could not get it stripped far enough to actually get the steering lock unlocked and get the barrel to turn. So after a total of 2.5 hours, I put everything back together and called the insurance to tow the car away. Only after the car was on the back of the rollback did the head of security approach me to sign a thing to say that it is in fact my car. I could just as well have signed anything and given him any phone number and he wouldn't have been any wiser.

    So in theory I knew enough to steal a car, but in practice I just could not win.

    By the way, this was on our 2011 Jazz. Who in their right mind steals a Jazz??
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    64
    Posts
    324
    Thanked: 145

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    And include the Fj-cruiser in the "not on the stealing" list. Nobody wants the fuel bill.

    The insurance premiums are even cheap and only requires a tracker due to the cost of the vehicle. No secondary immobilizer required.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatPlant View Post
    Best defense seems to be to NOT drive a sought after vehicle.

    No Polo's
    No Toyotas
    No Rangers


    JEEPs and Landys FTW then . Nobody got the time, money or patience to keep them running. (Tongue firmly in cheek)
    Ubbo
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    2014 Rubicon - Sold

  12. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    68
    Posts
    329
    Thanked: 556

    Thumbs down Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    I watched a program the other night, where in the UK, they are now cloning the keyless entry units of cars they want to steal.
    Apparently, they have some electronic gizmo that reads the signal as you approach your car and it activates the unlocking.
    Their MO is to then arrive late at night, and just drive your car out of the driveway! No fuss, no bother!
    Mark Backler
    09 Kyron, the Korean Snail.
    NO Meeow!
    Blanked EGR.
    Thermo Electric Cooling fan.

  13. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Benoni
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,395
    Thanked: 3076

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Quote Originally Posted by Markb View Post
    I watched a program the other night, where in the UK, they are now cloning the keyless entry units of cars they want to steal.
    Apparently, they have some electronic gizmo that reads the signal as you approach your car and it activates the unlocking.
    Their MO is to then arrive late at night, and just drive your car out of the driveway! No fuss, no bother!
    Keyless remotes use a rolling code, which cannot be cracked with normal equipment. So both the car and the remote know the sequence of codes to be sent out, capturing one code will not help the thieves to work out the next code. These rolling code systems allows a window of codes it will accept, say any of the next 10 codes will be accepted (think of the havoc if you press your remote outside the range of the car and now the remote and receiver is out of sync and no longer works), one method is for them to capture the initial code sent but jam the car receiver. key sends out a second code which is also captured and while car is jammed, now they send the initial code to the car and the car opens and you drive off not know what happened. But they now have the next code in the sequence which they use later to drive the car away

    https://www.hackster.io/news/hacking...k-7f863c10c8da
    Last edited by mullerza; 2021/06/15 at 12:54 PM.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

  14. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Yes - as pointed out by Anton, the rolling codes are not as easy to crack but there are several vectors against them. The interesting thing, is that with the proliferation of hardware we see on the market, building devices and to accomplish things like this is trivial.

    For example - you can get a SDR (Software Defined Radio) device off the shelf at local places and do crazy things with it. Since the SDR devices open up virtually the entire spectrum (depending on the device you get), they're not ICASA approved. They're still available though. And you can do a chunk of stuff with them. Technically, you'd be able to spin up your own GSM network with one (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/gsm/). I'd not suggest that anybody do this. If anybody does monitor spectrum usage very closely, it is the cellular service providers...

    This image is a 125KHz RFID cloning machine thing I built a while ago using an arduino, an RFID tag reader and a few odds-and-ends from the garage. Apart from its size, it worked perfectly. And I could probably reduce the size of it even more if I wanted to. And this was all for the price of a few hundred ZAR...

    Name:  WP_20160608_008.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  221.7 KB

    As I've already mentioned in this thread, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to build a NATS transponder clone tool for reading / replaying the key. But I don't really see a point in doing this at the moment. I might do it one day as a joke when I am bored.

    This is starting to go waaay off topic here, so I'm going to keep quiet now. The point I wanted to make was the following:

    In the old days, one would need to have a very solid background in electronics in order to interfere with these sort of things.

    However, these days, with the proliferation of ridiculously easy to get-hold-of and modular electronics shields and interfaces, it is easier than ever to attack things like this.

    Instead of having to have a very good grounding in RF and electronics, one can now grab an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi, with an shield or interface for whatever application you intend digging around with and write a few lines of code. Easy-peasy.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

  15. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    durban
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,654
    Thanked: 1700

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Yes - as pointed out by Anton, the rolling codes are not as easy to crack but there are several vectors against them. The interesting thing, is that with the proliferation of hardware we see on the market, building devices and to accomplish things like this is trivial.

    For example - you can get a SDR (Software Defined Radio) device off the shelf at local places and do crazy things with it. Since the SDR devices open up virtually the entire spectrum (depending on the device you get), they're not ICASA approved. They're still available though. And you can do a chunk of stuff with them. Technically, you'd be able to spin up your own GSM network with one (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/tag/gsm/). I'd not suggest that anybody do this. If anybody does monitor spectrum usage very closely, it is the cellular service providers...

    This image is a 125KHz RFID cloning machine thing I built a while ago using an arduino, an RFID tag reader and a few odds-and-ends from the garage. Apart from its size, it worked perfectly. And I could probably reduce the size of it even more if I wanted to. And this was all for the price of a few hundred ZAR...

    Name:  WP_20160608_008.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  221.7 KB

    As I've already mentioned in this thread, I'm pretty sure I'd be able to build a NATS transponder clone tool for reading / replaying the key. But I don't really see a point in doing this at the moment. I might do it one day as a joke when I am bored.

    This is starting to go waaay off topic here, so I'm going to keep quiet now. The point I wanted to make was the following:

    In the old days, one would need to have a very solid background in electronics in order to interfere with these sort of things.

    However, these days, with the proliferation of ridiculously easy to get-hold-of and modular electronics shields and interfaces, it is easier than ever to attack things like this.

    Instead of having to have a very good grounding in RF and electronics, one can now grab an Arduino or a Raspberry Pi, with an shield or interface for whatever application you intend digging around with and write a few lines of code. Easy-peasy.
    Easy peezy. I have no idea what you are talking about🤔

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:


  17. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Garsfontein
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,331
    Thanked: 2284

    Default Re: vehicle theft modis operandi.

    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    Easy peezy. I have no idea what you are talking about🤔
    I meant - in the old days, if one wanted to build a "block and replay" device for a car alarm, one would have had to build it from scratch. One would have needed to understand radio frequency generation, propagation, reception and similar. These days, you buy a device (such as an Arduino), and a shield (or interface board) for the application you want to use it for. And you build it like so.

    Lego electronics. Very easy and cheap to build prototype stuff quickly. In prior years it would have taken a long time to implement. In short, expect more attacks around things like RFID, keys, near-contact cards and similar.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •